The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL EVF

aDam007

My complaint is that WYSIWYG mode a.k.a. exposure preview mode isn't sticky. The camera reverts to automatic viewfinder brightness mode after each exposure.
That doesn't seem right? I'll go investigate this for you in the morning.
Maybe I'm mistaken as to what you mean.. But I'll check it out.

aDam007

Hi Marc,

Just out of curiosity, would you consider selling the S once the S-adapter and tethering become available and provided that the S-adapter fully supports CS lenses?

Thanks, Joris.
I know this question was directed towards Marc. Being an S owner, I'd say that I wouldn't. I will definitely buy the adapter (makes sense to have a faster AF and backup cam for those who don't have the S-007 as well). But I don't think I'd ever sell the S-006. The colors are very hard to beat (even out of camera). With any other camera and a lot of time in LR, you still wouldn't get what I get out of the S-006..

doug

That doesn't seem right? I'll go investigate this for you in the morning.
Maybe I'm mistaken as to what you mean.. But I'll check it out.
I'd be delighted if more people recognize this problem. My settings:

• manual exposure. Spot meter pattern exacerbates the problem. 46 years' experience has taught me that manual exposure is most reliable for me
  • adapted lens i.e., Leica R or Canon FD, anything that the camera doesn't control the aperture
  • auto review off
  • exposure preview on

Pick a subject with a bright background like this one:

The bird is in constant motion, shifting its weight from one foot to the other, turning to face a Red-tailed Hawk that's trying to drive the eagle away, preening, pooping, stretching. The DOF is an inch or two at most so I re-focus every time the bird moves. I want to be sure there's tonal separation between the bird's head and the sky; the light can change subtly from one moment to the next depending the thickness of the cloud(s) in front of the sun so I monitor the exposure constantly.

If the metering spot is on the bird's dark plumage the automatic viewfinder brightness function will make the bird too bright and I can't tell if there's separation between the bird's crown and the sky. If the metering spot is on the sky the the automatic viewfinder brightness function makes the bird black and I can't tell if I have sufficient exposure in the dark plumage. Remember, the bird is constantly moving, it may shift to the left or right at any moment so the metering spot may be on the bird or on the sky, the clouds are moving so the correct exposure can change from one second to the next. The effect is lessened by averaging or matrix metering but it's still there to an annoying degree. I do not want to be reviewing the previous exposure or holding the shutter release just so or pushing the Fn button when the eagle does this:

This is an extreme scenario but it's not far from the ones I encounter almost every day. Most birds move more frequently than an eagle, and when they do it's not always in front of a uniformly bright or dark background, so the background is changing too.

This is really simple with the a7II: Setting effect ON. I would like this option in the SL's next firmware revision.

Paratom

Hi Marc,

Just out of curiosity, would you consider selling the S once the S-adapter and tethering become available and provided that the S-adapter fully supports CS lenses?

Thanks, Joris.
Hi there,
I am pretty sure the SL will not support the central shutter in the CS-lenses.

fotografz

Hi Marc,

Thanks, Joris.
My plan is to keep the S(006). I still subscribe to the CCD aesthetic and tonal gradations from a larger sensor. All of my S system lenses are CS versions save the S-100/2, and I use CS Mode a lot with Profoto lighting that allows wireless radio control up to 1/1000 sync.

As I understand it, the S to SL adapter will not enable use of the central shutter in the CS lenses. Even if it eventually did, it wouldn't alter my preference to keep the S(006) and potentially supplement it with a SL for faster response and/or lower light work (IF the adapted S lenses AF reasonably fast)

Thanks to all for the in-depth explanations of how the SL viewfinder helps or hinders exposure evaluation.

Not having full-time WYSIWYG seems odd ... it could be a stumbling block for the work I'd use the SL for.

I tend to operate the Sony A7R-II in "Setting Effect On" mode because I tend to expose manually more than setting an automated mode (if ever). I agree that at least with the Sony cameras the EVF view is not very exacting in terms of subtile tonal separation like Doug is talking about. I guess that's where faith in a bit better DR of these newer cameras comes in handy. But as the light diminishes, the Sony EVF gain makes it much harder to operate in the "ON" mode ... and the "OFF" mode isn't much better in challenging light. Obviously it has to be turned off for studio strobe work at 1/180th and f/8 or smaller.

I have to admit that when working with these higher meg cameras, IBIS is sure helpful. Wish the SL had that option so I would be able to stabilize the the S lenses when shooting available light hand-held.

Maybe the SL-II? :banged:

- Marc

doug

I have to admit that when working with these higher meg cameras, IBIS is sure helpful. Wish the SL had that option so I would be able to stabilize the the S lenses when shooting available light hand-held.

Maybe the SL-II? :banghead:
Along with the exposure preview, IBIS is my favorite feature of the a7II and one of the primary reasons I bought the camera, and I'm disappointed the SL doesn't have it. OTOH the SL's file quality at higher ISO settings may partially compensate. This a 100% crop (no re-sizing) with no noise reduction or sharpening, @ ISO 3200

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/SL/L1060480_100.jpg

bab

Along with the exposure preview, IBIS is my favorite feature of the a7II and one of the primary reasons I bought the camera, and I'm disappointed the SL doesn't have it. OTOH the SL's file quality at higher ISO settings may partially compensate. This a 100% crop (no re-sizing) with no noise reduction or sharpening, @ ISO 3200

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/SL/L1060480_100.jpg
Doug
Great points about your difficulty with the Lecia SL I would say it's not yet the camera you should be using for those birds! I'm thinking a fast Canon or Nikon might serve you better with birds and variable backgrounds.

doug

Doug
Great points about your difficulty with the Lecia SL I would say it's not yet the camera you should be using for those birds! I'm thinking a fast Canon or Nikon might serve you better with birds and variable backgrounds.
Now that I've used a good EVF there's no way I'll go back to an SLR. The SL needs a firmware tweak. Typical DSLRs need much more than that to suit my working style.

aDam007

Sorry totally slipped my mind. I'm flying off tonight. Will check this when I land.
But my camera doesn't seem to be "resetting" or maybe I'm just not understanding you. I'll write up my experience when I land.
(Sorry again for the forgetfulness.)

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Now that I've used a good EVF there's no way I'll go back to an SLR. The SL needs a firmware tweak. Typical DSLRs need much more than that to suit my working style.
Doug

I would like to know more about your “focusing technique” . Having used the Leica R9/8/DMR ...I know you are experienced with a terrific DSLR viewfinder . I am lucky to have very good eyesight ...so I am used to focusing even wide angles manually without any focus aids(DSLR) ...with long lenses I can easily see “sharp/accurate “ focus . I find the EVF of the SL or the Q (I own both) to be challenging to see the point of focus .

I know that its a acquired skill to magnify the focus point (EVF) and that method provides terrific accuracy . I am not nearly fast enough to use this method on a subject that is moving in and out of my plane of focus . Maybe I just need to keep shooting more with the SL?

The other challenge comes ...as I noted earlier ...when the scene brightness exceeds the DR of the EVF...this results in either highlights or shadows or both that can not be visualized . In extreme you can t see to compose (as in blocked shadows near the edges . ).

So I am interested in how you use the EVF and what makes it better than the R9 ( a good standard of performance for a DSLR).

Roger

doug

I would like to know more about your “focusing technique” . Having used the Leica R9/8/DMR ...I know you are experienced with a terrific DSLR viewfinder . I am lucky to have very good eyesight ...so I am used to focusing even wide angles manually without any focus aids(DSLR) ...with long lenses I can easily see “sharp/accurate “ focus . I find the EVF of the SL or the Q (I own both) to be challenging to see the point of focus .
My eyesight is good for my age (63+) but I started having difficulty with the R8 viewfinder about a year or two ago. The biggest problem I have focussing using the SL viewfinder w/o magnification is confidence. I focus as though it were a good SLR viewfinder with a ground glass screen and when I check focus with magnification it's usually perfect. Focussing hasn't been a problem for me. I can't say the same for the a7II where I rely much more often on magnification.

JorisV

Hi there,
I am pretty sure the SL will not support the central shutter in the CS-lenses.
My plan is to keep the S(006). I still subscribe to the CCD aesthetic and tonal gradations from a larger sensor. All of my S system lenses are CS versions save the S-100/2, and I use CS Mode a lot with Profoto lighting that allows wireless radio control up to 1/1000 sync.

As I understand it, the S to SL adapter will not enable use of the central shutter in the CS lenses. Even if it eventually did, it wouldn't alter my preference to keep the S(006) and potentially supplement it with a SL for faster response and/or lower light work (IF the adapted S lenses AF reasonably fast)
Does anybody whether there is a technical reason for not supporting the central shutter with the S-adapter? Or is Leica just afraid to cut into Leica S sales?

Godfrey

Does anybody whether there is a technical reason for not supporting the central shutter with the S-adapter? Or is Leica just afraid to cut into Leica S sales?
Impossible to know for sure, since I don't own any Leica S model or any CS lenses to examine, but thinking about it one possibility is that the CS timing or actuation might require something that only the mirror mechanism on the S models can supply. Of course, exactly what the S Adapter SL can/cannot do won't be know for a fact until Leica releases it (just like the R Adapter SL ...).

G

aDam007

My complaint is that WYSIWYG mode a.k.a. exposure preview mode isn't sticky. The camera reverts to automatic viewfinder brightness mode after each exposure.

Came home to a house with disconnected internet, and a broken water heater. So it's been a crazy first few days back in L.A.

Yes, mine is reverting as well. Write to Leica I suppose and explain the situation and how you think it should best be handled. I actually don't think it would a problem for them to make the "settings effect" sticky when you press the button. I also think that you should be able to reassign that button (I know they have a hold press assignment, but a quick press assignment would be good also).

msadat

doug did you get a leica sl? thought you were shooting with the sony a7ii

doug

doug did you get a leica sl? thought you were shooting with the sony a7ii
My camera is a Sony a7II but I also have a Leica SL loaner. The comparison has been fascinating and has helped clarify for myself the difference between 'nice feature' and 'essential feature'.

jonoslack

My camera is a Sony a7II but I also have a Leica SL loaner. The comparison has been fascinating and has helped clarify for myself the difference between 'nice feature' and 'essential feature'.
Hi There Doug
. . . so which camera will you go forward with?

doug

Hi There Doug
. . . so which camera will you go forward with?
The a7II. If the only differences were the button placement, menus and customizability it would be the SL, no question.

The SL's other advantages are more pleasing noise pattern (to my eye) at ISO above 400, much more substantial build quality, being able to change shutter speeds when in magnified view (the dial assigned to shutter speed on the a7II moves the magnified box in that mode), much more responsive operation in general and image files that are more forgiving of exposure mistakes or pulling detail out of shadows.

The a7II's features that I have a hard time working without are the full-time exposure preview mode and the sensor stabilization. These are biggies for me. If Leica were to fix either of these I'd re-evaluate the health of my bank account.