The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A strap for the SL ...

Godfrey

I have been looking for the right strap for the SL since I bought the camera.
Summing up:

• The standard strap works, tends to twist and tangle a bit.
  • The A&A silk cord strap is light, works well, but is a little too short for my druthers. It's a little narrow to be comfortable. ($150)
  • The Leicatime strap is superbly made of beautiful leather. It is very comfortable when I wear it. Unfortunately, it tend to catch and stick with my clothes and gets in the way more than I like. ($150)
  • The Case Logic handstrap doesn't really sit on the camera right for me and has a somewhat scratchy feel. ($12)
  • The OP/Tech handstrap tends to slide off my hand, feels crummy, and gets in the way in the bag. ($24)
I have to admit that I am getting a little tired of this. I knew I had solved this issue at some time in the past and it was bugging me. Well, I finally remembered my old solution, the one that worked beautifully with my Panasonic L1.

I recreated it last night:

• Take a Nikon AN-4b neckstrap.
  • Cut off 11 inches on the right and 4 inches on the left
  • Thread the right side on the camera such that the neck pad on the strap is hanging down and pointing to the left.
  • Twist the left side 180 degrees anti-clockwise and thread that on the left side of the camera.
The strap now hangs down under the camera and the ends lay flat against the sides of the camera.

To use it:

• Pick up the camera with your left hand.
  • Reach around on the right, with your right hand, and put your hand through the strap from the front.
  • Rotate your forearm so that the neck pad makes a loop around your wrist.
  • Grip the camera on the right.

The strap forms a perfect wrist-leash, lays flat against the body under the palm of your hand when you're gripping the camera , and loops flat against the body from the left eyelet to the looped part. It's light, thin, very comfortable, and feels very secure. It takes up very little space in a bag, doesn't get caught up on stuff or tangle, and does not get in the way of battery, card door, or any controls. You can use a tripod adapter with it fitted without any problem.

And it costs $15 for the Nikon neckstrap.

I walked with the SL using the R-'Lux 50mm lens for an hour. Very comfortable, very secure, a pleasure. Satori.
I'm done with the strap hunt. This works for me. :)

G

Arai

I too find a difficulty to get a proper strap for my SL. I don't want a metal thing in the strap, must be wide to accomodate the weight and aesthetically good looking lol..so far I found Sughero strap from Arte di mano but didn't quite attractive and I don't like thin nylon for the attachment.

4V design made very good looking strap, but the problem there is a metal in it..arrgh

Godfrey

I too find a difficulty to get a proper strap for my SL. I don't want a metal thing in the strap, must be wide to accomodate the weight and aesthetically good looking lol..so far I found Sughero strap from Arte di mano but didn't quite attractive and I don't like thin nylon for the attachment.

4V design made very good looking strap, but the problem there is a metal in it..arrgh
If you want a neckstrap, look at the XL model made by deadcameras.com <http://deadcameras.com>. It looks very good. I just decided that a neckstrap wasn't for me with the SL...

G

aDam007

"The Leicatime strap is superbly made of beautiful leather. It is very comfortable when I wear it. Unfortunately, it tend to catch and stick with my clothes and gets in the way more than I like. ($150)" - Godfrey

Just to let you know. IF you use your Leicatime strap as long as I've used mine. The underside will get really slick and won't catch on your shirt. I have 4 of them (not SL but M style). And the black one is on my main camera (the one I take out with me everyday, not my work M-Ps) and it's smooth and nice. The second smoothest is now on the M246. But it doesn't take long, a few months.

I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it though (the Leicatime SL strap) :D

One more suggestion I have for you. Get yourself a OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap (must be the pro loop, works best with the SL and S type strap lugs). It's not pretty, but it's comfortable and big enough (get a longer one).

Godfrey

"The Leicatime strap is superbly made of beautiful leather. It is very comfortable when I wear it. Unfortunately, it tend to catch and stick with my clothes and gets in the way more than I like. ($150)" - Godfrey
Just to let you know. IF you use your Leicatime strap as long as I've used mine. The underside will get really slick and won't catch on your shirt. I have 4 of them (not SL but M style). And the black one is on my main camera (the one I take out with me everyday, not my work M-Ps) and it's smooth and nice. The second smoothest is now on the M246. But it doesn't take long, a few months.

I'll take it off your hands if you don't want it though (the Leicatime SL strap) :D

One more suggestion I have for you. Get yourself a OP/TECH Pro Loop Strap (must be the pro loop, works best with the SL and S type strap lugs). It's not pretty, but it's comfortable and big enough (get a longer one).
Thanks!

Yes, I'm a bit impatient and I know that good leather does break in over time; Luigi's leather is absolutely superb. I just find it a bit too much - too bulky and a bit clumsy for my use. I'm quite happy that I remembered my hand strap setup from ages past, it does what I want. (What I'd really like is to get Luigi to make me a leather version of the strap I'm using now.

If you're serious that you'd like the Leicatime strap, send me a PM and we'll work it out. :)

G

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I have been beta testing a new SL strap from Harald Benz. Much like the terrific Urūshī (on the M240), this strap is light, pliable, and has no give. Like his other straps, they are made of water buffalo leather and there is absolutely no slip when it rides on ones shoulder. It also has an ingenious swivel allowing full movement and reverse carry for the big lenses. Harry may have another winner. I'm not ready to say it's the final word in a strap from the SL, but I'm close. I've tried several others so far, and this is my favorite.

Attachments

Arai

I have been beta testing a new SL strap from Harald Benz. Much like the terrific Urūshī (on the M240), this strap is light, pliable, and has no give. Like his other straps, they are made of water buffalo leather and there is absolutely no slip when it rides on ones shoulder. It also has an ingenious swivel allowing full movement and reverse carry for the big lenses. Harry may have another winner. I'm not ready to say it's the final word in a strap from the SL, but I'm close. I've tried several others so far, and this is my favorite.
This is the best looking strap for SL I had seen, problem is, will it the bolt metal type thing hurt the SL body when you put it in the bag?

Godfrey

This is the best looking strap for SL I had seen, problem is, will it the bolt metal type thing hurt the SL body when you put it in the bag?
I've been chatting and testing this with Harry Benz too.

The attachment mechanism's leather is quite stiff (and very strong!). It's very, very unlikely that it will bend enough to put the pivot bolt into contact with the camera body; it just can't flex enough for that.

The water buffalo leather Harry uses for the strap is outstanding.

G

DanielDuarte

Ordering one today but struggling with the length. I hate having to make a one time decision on a fixed length strap.

I tend to wear mine as a sling. I'm 5'8 but I have a nice "beer gut" so I'm thinking 51 inches is the right number.

Godfrey

Ordering one today but struggling with the length. I hate having to make a one time decision on a fixed length strap.

I tend to wear mine as a sling. I'm 5'8 but I have a nice "beer gut" so I'm thinking 51 inches is the right number.
On one of Harry's pages, he describes a method for figuring out the best strap length for you. Give that a shot if you haven't already.

G