The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

On camera flash solutions

pesto

Word has it that Leica has withdrawn its plan to introduce the incipient SF 64 flash unit. Metz appears to have a very similar unit available, the Metz Mecablitz 64 AF-1 digital Flash, that looks to be the same unit Leica was about to offer that has been rebadged. Does anyone know if it truly is an equivalent and is it fully comparable with Leica metering system in all of its subtle nuiances? In short, failing the arrival of the Leica unit, should the Metz suffice?

Last edited:

skimmel

I just got this email from B&H:

Leica SF 64 Flash
(B&H # LEFCCSF64)

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when this item becomes available. We regret to inform you that this item has unfortunately been discontinued. Please check back on our website for similar or possible replacement items.

aDam007

Nothing from Leica on this yet. I also know a few people who actually have the SF-64 so?!?

Anyway, the Metz version won't work. Much like the Metz equivalent of the SF-58 doesn't work.
Metz isn't allowed to make Leica flashes (Leica pro-pin placement as we could call it I suppose). This was told to me by Metz right around the launch of the SF-26. Unless something has changed, but I doubt it.

Anyway, right now TTL flash is all buggered up on the SL and is barely competent on the S-system. So it doesn't matter much :p

pesto

Good news!
As it turns out, the prior information from B&H was incorrect and in fact Leica says that there will be a "large shipment" next week... this directly from the folks in Germany.