Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Woohooo M8 firmware update!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woohooo M8 firmware update!

Well the one thing that I most wanted in an M8 that couldn't be upgraded just got announced as a FIRMWARE upgrade!

DISCREET SHUTTER!!!!!

Guy had an M8.2 for a little while and I got to try it out. I loved (but didn't quite get used to) the delayed shutter cock.

Here is a link to LUF with a little bit more detail....

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-...e-2-004-a.html
    Last edited by Terry; 27th February 2009 at 18:11.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Woohooo M8 firmware update!

This is wonderful news. I can't wait for March 3.

Post Thanks / Like

Finally leica doing the right thing. Wonderful news.

Post Thanks / Like

Great news, tried a demo 8.2 for a weekend (thanks to Eight Elm Photo) and liked all the upgrades, but the discreet advance was REALLY, REALLY, nice. My M8 is ready and waiting !!

A very smart move by Leica, will please everyone who has shot with film M's over the years, and wants a digital camera with a similar feel

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

it really makes a difference. I tried out an M8.2 and the delay significantly reduced the camera shake at the end of the exposure. I upgraded my M8 to the new shutter and thought that was going to be as good as it was going to get, this announcement is very welcome news.

The new shutter is a lot softer, and the release is softer as well. You can squeeze off a very long exposure if you are careful. the delayed recock will make it that much better.

additionally, it takes the '8 about as close as you can get to a film M, that nice silence after an exposure. The wind on always sort of ruined the moment for me....or the great silent gap in a one second exposure. (except for the buzz on my M6) more like an M7 or Mamiya 7-my ultimate holy burrito camera.

would mamiya just make a 6x7 digital rangefinder and be done with it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Hi All,

Wow, nice one Leica.

Terry,

Thanks for sharing this information with us!

All,

Have a wonderful weekend!

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wahoooo indeed. That was the ONLY thing that I was interested in on the M82 ... now I get to keep the 1/8000th and have my cake too!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Wahoooo indeed. That was the ONLY thing that I was interested in on the M82 ... now I get to keep the 1/8000th and have my cake too!!!!
    you and me both.... but now i bought my Nocti instead of the M8.2 and can't afford a regular M8. ah well, i don't regret the glass. i'm really pleased Leica did this show of good faith. good on them!

and good for all of you too -- enjoy!

i will remain in my neither here nor there corner, though at least i will have joe (back alley) joining me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Tery it is a wanderfull news

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I'll wait and see. I have had one of my bodies upgraded to the new shutter and now the old one sounds like a cannon going off by comparison. The new shutter is really great (and smooth also) Now I can put the delayed release on the upgraded one as well as the non-upgraded one and see what results.

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Terry
    Thanks for the information.
    This is wonderful news. I did think they would do it, but I though that
    1. it would only be for the upgraded shutter
    2. it wouldn't be until the M9 was announced.

Doing it now is, for me, a wonderful thing. Like you Woody I have two bodies, one upgraded and one not - the second one comes up in the next week or so, and I was still dithering about whether to do the shutter or not (I sometimes use 1/8000 in bright light). (I was going to do the framelines / LCD / vulcanite anyway). Now I'll be able to try it with the delay and see if it's any different.

It should do good for the price of secondhand M8's as well, so, CAM, buy Terry's other one quick, before the prices go up!

Wooohooo indeed

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jono, haha. I'm actually dithering on which one to sell now! I too should be up on the list for upgrades very soon. One M8 has shutter, vulcanite and framelines.

Thinking about suspending my sales until I hear and feel both in delay mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, this is *wonderful* news. I can't wait to try the new firmware on my M8. I do "decisive moment," classical concert and theatrical stuff--where the delayed recocking will really help. With film Ms, I would often put the M under my coat to wind after a concert shot, now I can do it digitally!

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Jono, haha. I'm actually dithering on which one to sell now! I too should be up on the list for upgrades very soon. One M8 has shutter, vulcanite and framelines.

I would sure appreciate a report on this from you (and anyone else who has both). Mine is scheduled to go in April 1st and I'd love to know your opinion before I have the shutter replaced. Thanks in advance.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy. They've asked someone on LUF to try and record the sounds and make an MP3. I'm not so high tech but check there as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The used price might go up in the meantime too

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

No one but Leica really knows why they chose to release the delayed shutter cock now rather than earlier. It might be hardnosed marketing. Or it might be that the code had to be adapted to work with both the old and the new shutter, and the one staff person who knew how to do that was busy with other things. Or both.

My own take is that not releasing the "discrete shutter" code for M8s was probably a reasonable business decision at the beginning, since it might have hurt M8.2 sales. But it's an equally good decision to release it now.

Those who bought the M8.2 to get the discrete shutter, who might have simply upgraded the firmware in their original M8 if they could, have made their decision. Owners of the original M8, who (like me) decided that the M8.2 wasn't a sufficent upgrade for the price, have long since spoken by not buying the newer model. We can now get the new firmware, be happy, and post positive remarks on Internet forums, thereby spreading good "buzz" for Leica.

I have much the same attitude about a lens-type menu for uncoded lenses. Coding old lenses is probably a significant source of revenue for Leica, and they don't want to give that up. But there will come a point, probably soon, when most people who would have sent their lenses to Leica for coding will have done so.

The rest of us will have made other arrangements: Live without it, get Millich adapters, do our own coding by hand. At that point, it makes sense to release a lens menu in the firmware, with a disclaimer that the best results happen with Leica-coded lenses. Leica loses nothing, and they gain goodwill and positive buzz.

(How do you say "hint, hint" in German?)

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cindy. They've asked someone on LUF to try and record the sounds and make an MP3. I'm not so high tech but check there as well!
    it's been available for months.... Link is in the first post.

if the link doesn't work for you and you're interested, send me an email (even if i don't know you) and i'll send you the sound files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry- I've heard those MP3's. I just wanted your opinion of the upgrade of the shutter once you install the delay in the old M8. I hate to give up my 8000 shutter speed.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cam View Post
    it's been available for months.... Link is in the first post.

if the link doesn't work for you and you're interested, send me an email (even if i don't know you) and i'll send you the sound files.
    Cam, the links work fine but that is the shutter plus the recocking of the shutter. The discreet shutter allows you to separate out the shutter from the cocking (if you hold your finger on the shutter it only recocks when you let it up). So, it will be nice to hear just the first part alone. Also, I keep mine in a Luigi case which dampens down the noise so I will try them both in the case. I'm so used to the full sound and I don't release the shutter very quickly that when I used an M8.2 I kept thinking dang this is a really slow shutter speed. My brain seems to think the recock is end of the shutter release

terry

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I have two bodies, one upgraded and one not - the second one comes up in the next week or so, and I was still dithering about whether to do the shutter or not (I sometimes use 1/8000 in bright light).
    Hi Jono,

I often shoot my 35/1.4 ASPH wide open outdoors and hit 1/6000+ regularly. Is the reduced shutter noise worth 1 stop? I think not. If shutter noise is an issue indoors, the new discreet mode may suffice. Just my 2 bobs worth!

Cheers, Vincent

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

i understand the discreet shutter -- that's why i didn't go for the M8 but was holding out for the M8.2.... the loudest (most objectionable) noise on the M8 is the mechanical recocking by far. even with the discreet mode it is still as loud, but at least you can control when it goes off now.

the new shutter *is* quieter, but i'm not sure it really makes a difference in most situations whereas being able to control the recock does.

Cindy,

if you love the 8000 (i am so jealous!), i honestly don't think the difference is large enough as i noted above. in a really quiet situation, the shutter still will be heard (though the new smoothness is sweet).

then again, i could be talking out my a$$ as i've not gotten to compare the two side by side. i've just played with both, concentrating on the sound as that is my biggest gripe with the Epson.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Terry,

the new shutter *is* quieter, but i'm not sure it really makes a difference in most situations whereas being able to control the recock does.
    Which is exactly why I want to try both side by side after the firmware update. If the shutter itself isn't so different in sound/feel (I hear that the new one feels better) then I may keep my old one that goes to 1/8000 skip the upgrades all together and and sell the upgraded one.

Post Thanks / Like

....... the loudest (most objectionable) noise on the M8 is the mechanical recocking by far.......
    Cam - Not on my M8. The heavy clack of the shutter is far worse than the rewind and it's tone carries further too. If the shutter on my M8 was only as noisy as the rewind I'd be relatively OK with that. Set it to a 2 second exposure to separate the two sounds and get someone to fire it at a discreet distance. The shutter was always a terrible choice, but I'm glad the option of separating the two stages is being implemented.

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

vibration is another issue. I feel it really helps me on the slower end. the stock shutter + rewind has a huge kick. the new shutter plus the delay now is very welcome.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Cam
    Chris has it with the 2 second shutter release
    The old shutter is much noisier than the new one - especially with the original click. I suspect that the firmware will make this more obvious rather than less.

Ho Hum

if you love the 8000 (i am so jealous!), i honestly don't think the difference is large enough as i noted above. in a really quiet situation, the shutter still will be heard (though the new smoothness is sweet).

then again, i could be talking out my a$$ as i've not gotten to compare the two side by side. i've just played with both, concentrating on the sound as that is my biggest gripe with the Epson.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Chris, Jono, it's funny what we all notice.... i found the old M8 shutter not bad at all in comparison to the R-D1 (which deaf people can hear). then again, i didn't find the new shutter all that awesomely quiet which was a let-down for me. i had some romantic notion that it all of a sudden would be quite stealthy -- which it's not. i still think the wind is the most objectionable part in terms of the noise (the manual recocking on the R-D1 is so much nicer in this regard).

for people that constantly use the 8000 and have gotten used to the old shutter, well, that's all i'm saying. it's an awful lot of money for something that is still quite audible unless you need it to be as quiet as possible (like me).

as robert mentions, the new shutter feels quite sweet. the smoothness allowed me to hold still for the press longer, but i have an issue with my shutter finger and i wasn't sure if it was just me.

i'm saying this all as a delicate punter who played around with both. i would have the shutter upgrade and, along with the discreet shutter, it may be enough to turn me. i say "may" as i need to walk around my streets here to see if it's quiet enough.... it's really the biggest issue i have with my Epson. there have been quite a few shots i've missed because of the shutter (there really is something to the frequency that makes it pop).

the proof in the pudding for you all will be Terry's testing the two side by side, hopefully in real world situations.... so i'll shut up now.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

HI Cam

the proof in the pudding for you all will be Terry's testing the two side by side, hopefully in real world situations.... so i'll shut up now.
    I think there's quite a few of us in this boat (with one old shutter and one new). Woody certainly is, and so am I.

Of course, the 2 second exposure isn't quite all of it, as you only get the shutter opening on the first click, but it does suggest that there is quite a difference between the two. Bottom line for me is that the new shutter seems very quiet (really in M7 realms) if you remove the pertoing of the rewind . . but the old one doesn't.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

d'accord.

i'm just kind of chuckling at the idea of being stealthy with a 2 second exposure anyways.... of course, you're not a wild-haired redhead with a single-mindedness who sticks out in the first place

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robertwright View Post
    vibration is another issue. I feel it really helps me on the slower end. the stock shutter + rewind has a huge kick. the new shutter plus the delay now is very welcome.
    I am not getting the comments on the rewind vibration. I have seen it posted here and on the LUF. The shutter is closed by the time the rewind happens, so any vibration is not going to affect the image.

Robert

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    I am not getting the comments on the rewind vibration. I have seen it posted here and on the LUF. The shutter is closed by the time the rewind happens, so any vibration is not going to affect the image.

Robert
    Quite right Robert - I had been thinking the same thing myself.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

no, but the actual shutter when depressed is smoother. you need a delicate touch to feel the difference

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert
    ..yes. I guess it's more psychological for me. when I am evaluating whether or not I made a good exposure in terms of camera shake I can look through the finder and watch the rangefinder patch and see whether or not it moves relative to the subject. With the rewind coming immediately after and the high energy shutter it was the worst of all combinations, I could feel the bottom plate vibrate relative to the camera, feel the energy, and watch the rangefinder patch bounce...depending on how many beers I have had....

the whole combination now of the lower energy shutter and delayed recock really gets it to where the film M's are, or other cameras like the mamiya 7, although that one is pretty hard to beat with a stick.

the other thing I noticed after the upgrade was the action of the release button seems different, it releases more towards the top of the action than the bottom. So you can just will the shutter over the hump to fire.

ok so I'm romaticizing

maybe what I am saying is the original shutter was so bad...

thank goodness the firmware upgrade is applicable to all cameras. if it was upgrade only that would have stunk to high heaven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    HI Cam

I think there's quite a few of us in this boat (with one old shutter and one new). Woody certainly is, and so am I.

Of course, the 2 second exposure isn't quite all of it, as you only get the shutter opening on the first click, but it does suggest that there is quite a difference between the two. Bottom line for me is that the new shutter seems very quiet (really in M7 realms) if you remove the pertoing of the rewind . . but the old one doesn't.
    I am totally with Jono on this one. My original version has not only a noisy shutter but one where you can really feel the vibration. You just know that the mechanical resonances in the shutter system is causing fuzzy images.

The new shutter, to my hands and ears, is right there with my M7. It is so easy to squeeze off a shot, particularly using one of Tom Abrahmmson's devices, that you gain real confidence in getting a really sharp image. needless to say I love the upgraded one by a huge margin. However I am looking forward to the new firmware to feel its effects. Of course it should work on both shutter models but if it gets the job done on my original, and gets even close to the upgraded one I will be a super happy camper

Just my thoughts

Woody

marknorton

I'm pleased it's coming after the flak I took on the LUG for making a noise about it...

Not sure how useful it will be to those with the older shutter - if you use B, you can get a feel for what it will be like, still too noisy with that initial clack! transmitted into the body shell.

When Stefan Daniel said it would not be done because they had a P&L to protect, I modified the camera to implement the delay in hardware (though with 30 wires coming out of the lens throat, it wasn't pretty) and I abandoned it when I realised the M8 is still a noisy beast, discreet mode or not. You cannot, after all, make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

To my mind, it's a valuable extra to go with the new quieter shutter and should have been provided with the shutter upgrade all along. I'm pleased it's there now.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bottom line on this whole thing and i still can't figure out why there is such a big to do about this. It changes absolutely NOTHING with the M8 except the separation of sound if you use it and most folks will not use it after the initial cool factor. I tested the M8.2 with it and obviously that new shutter is deadly quiet and you really don't even need it on that since it is so quiet. This will only be nice when you can actually take a shot than displace the sound somewhere else and when you do that it is not even close to your eye and could lose another shot. Nice but it is limited. Bottom line you want quiet than get a M8.2 or go for a upgrade. Makes a whole world of difference but only if you require it. Again nice feature and glad Leica threw it in the mix but it's only a gift if you use it and when on single mode it maybe more a PITA than what people think.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy: I'm really looking forward to the discrete mode. Most of the time I'll have it off. But at a play or concert, if I can take a shot and then muffle the sound of the recocking under my jacket, it will be genuinely useful to me. Ditto in a quiet place. A short click often goes unnoticed, particularly if well-timed. The recocking noise lasts a lot longer. Out in the street, or among people talking in normal tones, you're right, why bother.

We'll know soon. The good news is that it's free, so even if it isn't so good, no great loss. In that case it will be back to film M and Tri-X for most of my classical musican pictures.

--Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Guy is right on here. I agree 100%!

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Bottom line on this whole thing and i still can't figure out why there is such a big to do about this. It changes absolutely NOTHING with the M8 except the separation of sound if you use it and most folks will not use it after the initial cool factor. I tested the M8.2 with it and obviously that new shutter is deadly quiet and you really don't even need it on that since it is so quiet. This will only be nice when you can actually take a shot than displace the sound somewhere else and when you do that it is not even close to your eye and could lose another shot. Nice but it is limited. Bottom line you want quiet than get a M8.2 or go for a upgrade. Makes a whole world of difference but only if you require it. Again nice feature and glad Leica threw it in the mix but it's only a gift if you use it and when on single mode it maybe more a PITA than what people think.
    Leica M8, M9 & Lens Reviews!
    http://www.stevehuffphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Klein View Post
    Guy: I'm really looking forward to the discrete mode. Most of the time I'll have it off. But at a play or concert, if I can take a shot and then muffle the sound of the recocking under my jacket, it will be genuinely useful to me. Ditto in a quiet place. A short click often goes unnoticed, particularly if well-timed. The recocking noise lasts a lot longer. Out in the street, or among people talking in normal tones, you're right, why bother.

We'll know soon. The good news is that it's free, so even if it isn't so good, no great loss. In that case it will be back to film M and Tri-X for most of my classical musican pictures.

--Peter
    Peter it certainly will have it's use no question and better to have than not to have. If some folks understand it like you do than it will do exactly that, give you the chance to put it somewhere and not be heard. Some folks are expecting a quieter shutter and that is not the case at all and they just don't seem to understand to actually do that they need to buy a upgrade or a M8.2 and when you get to those even the discreet mode is kind off useless because that shutter is really quiet. You almost have to listen to hear it from 2 ft away. So discreet mode on the new shutter may not ever get any play. The pitfall here is you have to take the camera away from your eye and like you said muffle it in your coat, well that is at least a 5 second experience when something you may just miss not having it at your eye or ready position. That is the limitation I want folks to understand.

funny thing is I had a camera that did this and i can't remember which camera it was but I would put the camera behind my back and let it wind out. Wish I could remember which camera it was but yes it is useful and it is free. For the upgrade folks certainly a extra bonus
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter it certainly will have it's use no question and better to have than not to have. If some folks understand it like you do than it will do exactly that, give you the chance to put it somewhere and not be heard. Some folks are expecting a quieter shutter and that is not the case at all and they just don't seem to understand to actually do that they need to buy a upgrade or a M8.2 and when you get to those even the discreet mode is kind off useless because that shutter is really quiet. You almost have to listen to hear it from 2 ft away. So discreet mode on the new shutter may not ever get any play. The pitfall here is you have to take the camera away from your eye and like you said muffle it in your coat, well that is at least a 5 second experience when something you may just miss not having it at your eye or ready position. That is the limitation I want folks to understand.
    Guy,
    I have the regular shutter and the upgraded shutter. I just put them side by side and was firing off the shutter. The old one is obviously louder but I still say the bulk of the noise/vibration isn't the shutter going off but it is the recocking of the shutter. Also, the Luigi case dampens the noise so the old shutter with a delay on the recock isn't so so bad (estimated the delay by using the 2 second shutter speed suggestion). The new shutter feels nicer but you feel it most when the recock comes later because of the recocking. I know the vibration doesn't matter because the shutter is closed but thats what I'm feeling side by side.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

funny thing is I had a camera that did this and i can't remember which camera it was but I would put the camera behind my back and let it wind out. Wish I could remember which camera it was but yes it is useful and it is free. For the upgrade folks certainly a extra bonus
    My (the) Canon F1-n had this with the motor drive in single frame mode. Drive was noisy as hell but for me it came down to that feeling of making the exposure perfectly.

only one more sleep

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I use the quiet mode quit a bit with the M8.2
    For some reason it just helps IMO that the release sound does not happen in the same moment you take the image.
    Often you would put the camera down any ways after taking the image.
    The firmware release should be nice for the M8 owners and very nice for the M8-modified-owners.

Aerospace

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy -- what for you is a lark, to many is a necessity -- though perhaps not on this forum.

i have stated and will state again, my only real gripe with my R-D1 is the shutter noise. it is the only reason i am even considering an M8/M8.2 (not image quality, megapixels, framelines, yada yada). i live in a very quiet neighborhood where my camera can easily be heard on the street, let alone in metros and the like.

the loudest part of the M8 is the mechanical winding (i'm sorry folk, i do not shoot long exposures for street candids). the discreet function, however, allows you to get ONE shot in situations where previously you got NONE. you want multiple shots? release the shutter button immediately, noise be damned. i don't care about do-agains, i want a chance to get shots i see on a daily basis that i can't take right now. it's as simple as that.

(i still think it's a pity that Leica does not offer a manual recock as some sort of upgrade/ extra added feature, charge a few hundred bucks for those that need it.... i can only dream that this might be an option in some future incarnation.)

i look forward to hearing people's reaction to the upgrade.

nei1

My film leicas sound very different with film inside,less hollow and tinny.The film obviously acting as a dampener to the more jarring higher frequencies.Maybe theres room inside the M8 for a bit of cotton wool or if you prefer,gold plated leica dust,to change the sound a little.Any camera mechanics out there?
    If you strip out the sound proofing from a BMW it sounds like a donkey on baked beans.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just updated. It is still a pretty loud clunk when the shutter fires. The shutter cocking is actually the quieter of the two.

Robert

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just updated. It is still a pretty loud clunk when the shutter fires. The shutter cocking is actually the quieter of the two.
    interesting.... i'll get to hear it for myself this weekend. the firmware update only, though. i have to wait until the end of the month before i can listen to an M8.2 on the street here.... i depend on the kindness of strangers

Quote Originally Posted by nei1 View Post
    My film leicas sound very different with film inside,less hollow and tinny.The film obviously acting as a dampener to the more jarring higher frequencies.Maybe theres room inside the M8 for a bit of cotton wool or if you prefer,gold plated leica dust,to change the sound a little.Any camera mechanics out there?
    If you strip out the sound proofing from a BMW it sounds like a donkey on baked beans.
    there's a BMW dealership just around the corner and i'm afraid i'll be giggling for days as i pass it! i will do my damnedest to get a pic of the donkeys passing by!

interesting observation about the film inside. seems my listening to various empty M shutters was all for naught.... (i'm getting a loaner M2 soon, though -- i will definitely listen to the difference before and after loading.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy -- what for you is a lark, to many is a necessity -- though perhaps not on this forum.

i have stated and will state again, my only real gripe with my R-D1 is the shutter noise. it is the only reason i am even considering an M8/M8.2 (not image quality, megapixels, framelines, yada yada). i live in a very quiet neighborhood where my camera can easily be heard on the street, let alone in metros and the like.

the loudest part of the M8 is the mechanical winding (i'm sorry folk, i do not shoot long exposures for street candids). the discreet function, however, allows you to get ONE shot in situations where previously you got NONE. you want multiple shots? release the shutter button immediately, noise be damned. i don't care about do-agains, i want a chance to get shots i see on a daily basis that i can't take right now. it's as simple as that.

(i still think it's a pity that Leica does not offer a manual recock as some sort of upgrade/ extra added feature, charge a few hundred bucks for those that need it.... i can only dream that this might be an option in some future incarnation.)

i look forward to hearing people's reaction to the upgrade.
    I understand and don't think of it as a lark, for you and street it is useful but folks are expecting a new shutter sound and this is not it, the shutter is still load. A luigi case like Terry uses will muffle it no question but for a lot of folks it will be a passing and for some essential in the environment they shoot in. I am glad leica did it but for me if I went back to the M8 i would go for the m8.2 but that is me

Deceased, but remembered fondly here... johnastovall's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert
    I just updated and agree. The shutter firing is the noisier of the two.

"The market wants a Leica to be a Leica: the inheritor of tradition, the subject of lore, and indisputably a mark of status to own."
    Mike Johnston

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Robert
    Good to know because the 2 second trick only told me half of the story (opening the shutter). The close and recock were still combined. I don't think I will be able to update until tomorrow night.