The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica M ... ?

Hosermage

I remember few months ago, an used M60 body only was sold for around $6500. That's something to think about... but as usual, I'll have to wait for it in the second-hand market to be affordable. I'm holding off any new purchase until after this year's photokina.

iiiNelson

I can't help but think that someone will be pissed when the rangefinder eventually needs recalibration and they don't realize until after they shot a set of pics. I don't get the fascination with no LCD or modern features like live view but I guess the camera isn't made for me.

Godfrey

As I figured, no interest from the techno-oriented crowd in this forum. Such it is.

The Leica M-D typ 262 is the Leica M I would have purchased in an instant if they'd offered it instead of the Leica M Edition 60, and if I didn't now have the Leica M-P typ 240. It is the first digital camera with the simplicity of my favorite M6 from many years back.

If I were buying now (meaning, if I didn't already have the M-P), I would choose the M-D for the lack of control clutter. There's more room for my fingers to hold and work the camera without hitting buttons and such, which is what I like about the M4-2 as well. I hardly ever use anything on the M-P anymore other than my favorite 35mm and 75mm lenses, and now occasionally the WATE when I'm in a wide-angle frame of mind, and only use the EVF when I want to be a little more precise about framing with the WATE.

But I have the M-P and I can't rationalize spending money on another M since I don't mind the M-P's buttons and controls all that much.

I hope the M-D does well in the market and motivates Leica to keep producing cameras like this. It's not a camera for everyone, or even many, but for those of us who value simple cameras it is a significant piece.

Hosermage

I'd buy it, eventually. It just sucks that you know it's near the end of the line for this round of sensor and tech. I wish that for the next iteration, Leica would offer all models together: regular (m240), P-series (m-p), photo-only (m262), and D-series (m-d). Let people choose what they'll buy at the start of the life cycle. If they do that, then I would give M-D a shot.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
My dream camera. Period. Concentrate on what I do, not on what I did. I know, I know... I can always switch off whatever I don't need. Unfortunately, it isn't that simple. It's psychology. Every option that is there is a potential distraction. Should I do video of this? Should I check the exposure of the last frame? Was that one sharp? Am I sure that I got the optimal face expression?

I used an OM-1 as my main camera for 30 years, the last ten shooting slow film exclusively (and assorted OM-10s as backup, they tended to fall apart as opposed to the OM-1), and I never missed any option that the OM-1 didn't have. Simplification makes me concentrate better on photography. Were some of my photos out of focus? Yup. Did I have motion blur when I shouldn't? Yup, particularly when shooting ISO 50 film at night. Would I have had more keepers if I had AF and ISO one million? Possible, but I tend to enjoy the photos that I did get, not the ones I missed (there's one exception, but that isn't camera related).

Unfortunately, I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford the M-D, but I'll have a look at finances again in a couple of years. I would need a lens too; the APO-Summicron 50mm would be nice. Fortunately, I have more cameras than I'll be able to wear out in a lifetime anyway, so this isn't really important. It would be nice though.

Knorp

If only they had fitted it with an adjustable diopter.
Less is more, but sometimes more is functional too ...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If only they had fitted it with an adjustable diopter.
Less is more, but sometimes more is functional too ...
While that would indeed be convenient, this is clearly a single user camera, so I would do fine with a correction lens. Non-enthusiasts mostly won't be able to focus it properly anyway, and many young people won't even figure out what the viewfinder is for :wtf:

V

Vivek

An Epson with live view would make that swivel lcd a lot more useful!

Godfrey

My dream camera. Period. Concentrate on what I do, not on what I did. ...

... I have more cameras than I'll be able to wear out in a lifetime anyway, so this isn't really important. It would be nice though.
What makes me happy: I read the entire M-D instruction manual in less than 15 minutes, and could have figured out how to use every function of the camera without ever opening it except, maybe, for setting the date and time.

As I said before, if I didn't already have the M-P, I'd have ordered the M-D already. Since I'm content with the M-P already, the only 'excuse' that will land an M-D into my camera cabinet is that some unexpected windfall comes my way and I want one of these more than anything else. It would be a pure luxury—an unnecessary, frivolous purchase (kind of like the Nikon F6 last year was...) to celebrate the joy of living. :)

G