The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

leica sl and adobe lightroom

msadat

just came back from a trip with the sl and 24-90 and about 500 images. first of the bat, i think the lens is very much prone to stray light. i don't if the hood is enough or there are some other problems, needs more investigations

running adobe cc lightroom and on my fast computer is struggling to move from image to image and finally after an hour with tech support and giving them access to remotely look at my screen, i went back to the previous version as the adobe tech said the latest version is buggy.

i dont have c1 and don't want to learn another tool, really frustrated with adobe rolling out buggy and slow products out.

in the perfect situation the shots look good, fast moving subject with afc failed where i know my canon or nikon would have kept up.

msadat

i am not sure what you guys use or how many images at a time but lightroom is totally unusable

just came back from a trip with the sl and 24-90 and about 500 images. first of the bat, i think the lens is very much prone to stray light. i don't if the hood is enough or there are some other problems, needs more investigations

running adobe cc lightroom and on my fast computer is struggling to move from image to image and finally after an hour with tech support and giving them access to remotely look at my screen, i went back to the previous version as the adobe tech said the latest version is buggy.

i dont have c1 and don't want to learn another tool, really frustrated with adobe rolling out buggy and slow products out.

in the perfect situation the shots look good, fast moving subject with afc failed where i know my canon or nikon would have kept up.

Doc Wing

I am in Rochester, NY. I have found that the colors on Apple Photis are more natural than on Lightroom. I process there first, then export to Bridge and finish by using Lightroom to recover highlights, shadows and to desaturate oranges in portraits.

I find this workflow works best on Leica files.

DanielDuarte

I am in Rochester, NY. I have found that the colors on Apple Photis are more natural than on Lightroom. I process there first, then export to Bridge and finish by using Lightroom to recover highlights, shadows and to desaturate oranges in portraits.

I find this workflow works best on Leica files.
I'm not an experienced LR user beyond my basic editing but I notice that when the file first opens it looks more natural, then all of a sudden a profile is attached and things start looking funky. I have to edit to bring myself back to that more natural, raw state.

I know you said you don't want to learn another program. But Capture One is really the way to go :) . Adobe products in general have been having issues with apple lately. I switched to PC and while I miss the simplicity of my mac pro, my PC flies through any raw edits and photoshopping needs without lagging a single bit.

msadat

extremely slow and buggy to the point that is very frustrating to process the images, something that i usually love to do. i think the current code base has had it till they adobe move to a new platform.

what exactly is the issue? working fine on my relatively crappy 2011 27" Imac running LR 5 (non sub) version.

glennedens

extremely slow and buggy to the point that is very frustrating to process the images, something that i usually love to do. i think the current code base has had it till they adobe move to a new platform.
I am not seeing any slow or buggy issues with LR 2015.6, Camera Raw 9.6. I am running on a 2013 Mac Pro OS X 10.11.6. I just finished import and selects of about 2,500 SL images and detailed processing of about 150 images for printing. I have about 350,000 images in a single library on an external Thunderbolt 2 RAID.

I do have a gigantic problem with printing. Adobe broke the color management chain with the CC release a few weeks ago. Typical Adobe: first dead silence and then no clear answer on the issue or work arounds. There was a statement that they hope to have a fix in August - hmmm, so clients are supposed to just wait? Sigh :) Of course Apple isn't helping since they have been making unexpected changes to the color management as well.

Are you on a PC or Mac? My Windows 10 world is no where near as stable at the moment.

msadat

i am running on a pc with 16 core, 128gb ram, dual 4k monitors and pci-e ssd, cant get any better than that.

msadat

i am running win 10 64 and it is very stable, no crashes, everything working perfectly except adobe

Godfrey

i am running on a pc with 16 core, 128gb ram, dual 4k monitors and pci-e ssd, cant get any better than that.
Well, evidently you can since I and at least two other people have had no problems running with a three to five year old Apple Mac. Your system might be wonderfully spec'ed but still not be configured correctly, either hardware or software, for best performance with LR.

G

Last edited:

Satrycon

CC sucks..stick with 6.6 [standalone]...

check the catalog size..if its too big or has files edited in nik software via lightroom then things slow down.

i create new catalogs per day of shooting

Godfrey

CC sucks..stick with 6.6 [standalone]...

check the catalog size..if its too big or has files edited in nik software via lightroom then things slow down.

i create new catalogs per day of shooting
My catalog has nine years of shooting history in it and performs flawlessly. A new catalog per day in many ways defeats a good deal of the utility that LR offers.

G

msadat

godfrey, may be you can tell me what u have done on you mac and i see if i can duplicate on the my pc

Godfrey

godfrey, may be you can tell me what u have done on you mac and i see if i can duplicate on the my pc
I haven't done anything special.

Hardware: Mac mini mid-2012 computer with i7 Quad-core, 2.6Ghz and 16G RAM; internal 950G Crucial SSD. Apple Thunderbolt Display 27". External 2T working drive connected via USB3.

Software: latest macOS El Capitan 10.11.6. Lightroom 6.5.1 or 6.6. Lightroom catalog on the startup drive, image file repository on the external working drive. Camera Raw Cache = 10Gbyte. Free space on startup drive = 250Gbyte.​

That's it.

A simple test: Exporting 63 randomly selected Leica SL raw files to full resolution JPEGs files took 3.12 seconds apiece, a total of 3 min:16 sec.

G

gnuyork

I'm tired of Adobe rolling out buggy software too. It's not just Lightroom, I have all the Adobe cloud apps, same drill, I spent two hours on the phone and they had access to my computer for problems with Premiere. And they told me that there are known issues. I begrudgingly moved from Apple's FCP for video editing to Premiere, and now I really like the workflow in Premiere much better, but all of the efficiencies are canceled by all the BS buggy problems. In 15 years of editing, I never had a problem with FCP. Never.

As far as Lightroom, I still use version 4. It's faster than the latest version (at least on my system). I only go into the newer version when I need the tools it has like the auto transform feature (which is not often).

msadat

Godfrey, it does not seem you r doing anything special and that's exactly my case.

I haven't done anything special.

Hardware: Mac mini mid-2012 computer with i7 Quad-core, 2.6Ghz and 16G RAM; internal 950G Crucial SSD. Apple Thunderbolt Display 27". External 2T working drive connected via USB3.

Software: latest macOS El Capitan 10.11.6. Lightroom 6.5.1 or 6.6. Lightroom catalog on the startup drive, image file repository on the external working drive. Camera Raw Cache = 10Gbyte. Free space on startup drive = 250Gbyte.​

That's it.

A simple test: Exporting 63 randomly selected Leica SL raw files to full resolution JPEGs files took 3.12 seconds apiece, a total of 3 min:16 sec.

G

Godfrey

Godfrey, it does not seem you r doing anything special and that's exactly my case.
As I said, I'm not. And the performance is just fine. So if you judge that performance is not 'just fine', then it means a) something is wrong in your system configuration, or b) your expectations of performance are out of line with the reality of your system/Lightroom operation, or c) there is something incompatible between Lightroom and your system (which is really (a) all over again).

G

LocalHero1953

Adobe Lightroom CC 2015.6 has had a genuine problem, reported on Adobe forums, that has resulted in memory leakage (progressive increase in the use of RAM during a session - I was able to monitor this) and slow response. The latest update (2015.6.1, July), is purely a bug fix update, and one of the bugs fixed is listed as "An issue that resulted in high memory usage while in the Develop module". I am still downloading, so I don't know if this has fixed the slow working.

Not everyone found this issue, but it seemed to be common enough, though there seemed to be no common factor in user set up, and it clearly came in with 2015.6. I think most people reporting it were Windows users, and could solve it by reverting to the previous LR version.