The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S-adapter L reviewed

Stuart Richardson

I just posted a write-up about the Leica S-adapter L. Read on if you are interested in using your S lenses on the Leica SL:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/08/leica-s-adapter-l-review.html

Best,

Vieri
Thanks Vieri. I am looking forward to hearing how you found the adapter actually worked regarding image quality and usability. I would assume they are nearly perfect across the frame at all apertures given how good they are on the full S bodies, but it would be good to get an actual comment from someone who is familiar with them. I am also curious how they work on video on the SL...

Paratom

Thanks Vieri. I am looking forward to hearing how you found the adapter actually worked regarding image quality and usability. I would assume they are nearly perfect across the frame at all apertures given how good they are on the full S bodies, but it would be good to get an actual comment from someone who is familiar with them. I am also curious how they work on video on the SL...
My first impression is same like Vieris: The S lenses focus faster and better on the S than on the SL with adapter.
Once focus is achieved it seems accurate though.
The 24-90 is so much faster that I dont know if I will use the adapter much.
And if I will use a S lens I would rather use the S body. So who is it for?
I still keep mine at the moment.

Stuart Richardson

Well, my interest would primarily be for video and for higher ISO's, live view etc. I do not have the 007 or the SL, but I like the idea that the S lenses can be easily used on another body if necessary. In any case, I am mostly shooting film at the moment, so I am not as concerned! I will wait for Photokina for all the news...it has a way of changing things dramatically for the Leica universe.

vieri

My first impression is same like Vieris: The S lenses focus faster and better on the S than on the SL with adapter.
Once focus is achieved it seems accurate though.
The 24-90 is so much faster that I dont know if I will use the adapter much.
And if I will use a S lens I would rather use the S body. So who is it for?
I still keep mine at the moment.
Paratom,

To me, the main reason for the adapter is that it allows me to use the SL as a backup of the S. My Landscape kit now is:

- Leica S (Typ 007);
- Leica 24mm Super-Elmar-S
- Leica 35mm Summarit-S
- Leica 70mm Summarit-S
- Leica S-Adapter T
- Leica SL
- Leica M-Adaper T
- Voigtlander 15mm
- Voigtlander 10mm or 12mm
- Filters, batteries, etc.

This way, I can use my S lenses on the SL in case of:
a. S 007 failure;
b. I really need to get 24, 35 or 70mm FOV equivalent (space constraints, etc);
c. I really need to use a longer exposure than the measly 1 minute offered by the S Typ 007.

Well, my interest would primarily be for video and for higher ISO's, live view etc. I do not have the 007 or the SL, but I like the idea that the S lenses can be easily used on another body if necessary. In any case, I am mostly shooting film at the moment, so I am not as concerned! I will wait for Photokina for all the news...it has a way of changing things dramatically for the Leica universe.
Stuart, waiting for Photokina makes a lot of sense, as you said it is usually Leica's favourite announcement time of the year.

Best,

Vieri

algrove

Paratom,

To me, the main reason for the adapter is that it allows me to use the SL as a backup of the S. My Landscape kit now is:

- Leica S (Typ 007);
- Leica 24mm Super-Elmar-S
- Leica 35mm Summarit-S
- Leica 70mm Summarit-S
- Leica S-Adapter T
- Leica SL
- Leica M-Adaper T
- Voigtlander 15mm
- Voigtlander 10mm or 12mm
- Filters, batteries, etc.

This way, I can use my S lenses on the SL in case of:
a. S 007 failure;
b. I really need to get 24, 35 or 70mm FOV equivalent (space constraints, etc);
c. I really need to use a longer exposure than the measly 1 minute offered by the S Typ 007.

Stuart, waiting for Photokina makes a lot of sense, as you said it is usually Leica's favourite announcement time of the year.

Best,

Vieri
Vieri
Sounds like you should just be using your 645Z (I very much like your images using this camera) and be done with it for WAY less outlay.

vieri

Vieri
Sounds like you should just be using your 645Z (I very much like your images using this camera) and be done with it for WAY less outlay.
algrove, the 645z was great with the one lens, the 28-45mm (22-36mm FOV equivalent), average with other lenses. Other than that, it didn't offer me any wide or ultra-wide options, and it was huge and heavy. Thanks for your nice words about my work btw, I really appreciate it :D

Best,

Vieri

algrove

algrove, the 645z was great with the one lens, the 28-45mm (22-36mm FOV equivalent), average with other lenses. Other than that, it didn't offer me any wide or ultra-wide options, and it was huge and heavy. Thanks for your nice words about my work btw, I really appreciate it :D

Best,

Vieri
I loved my 25mm with the 645Z and I have seen many images taken with the 25 that were awesome.

vieri

I loved my 25mm with the 645Z and I have seen many images taken with the 25 that were awesome.
I had the 25mm for a brief period, it was good but weak in the corners (Pentax itself retired it really quick!), and when the 28-45mm was released I found that the 28 focal of the zoom was much better and not much longer; plus, using filters with the 25 was - if not completely impossible - a real pain. You needed 150mm filters, with a Formatt-Hitech Lucroit Tokina ring, huge filters and of not-so-great quality back then (now they have the Firecrest series that is wonderful, but I digress).

That said, the 25mm wasn't really wide, certainly not as my M lenses on the SL but not as wide as the 24mm on the S as well, and you can filter the 24mm S easily.

Best,

Vieri

algrove

I had the 25mm for a brief period, it was good but weak in the corners (Pentax itself retired it really quick!), and when the 28-45mm was released I found that the 28 focal of the zoom was much better and not much longer; plus, using filters with the 25 was - if not completely impossible - a real pain. You needed 150mm filters, with a Formatt-Hitech Lucroit Tokina ring, huge filters and of not-so-great quality back then (now they have the Firecrest series that is wonderful, but I digress).

That said, the 25mm wasn't really wide, certainly not as my M lenses on the SL but not as wide as the 24mm on the S as well, and you can filter the 24mm S easily.

Best,

Vieri
I regularly used the filter drawer for my filter needs. I never had corner problems with mine.

vieri

I regularly used the filter drawer for my filter needs. I never had corner problems with mine.
Glad the 25mm works for you. For my work, not being able to use and position Grad NDs makes the filter drawer simply completely useless. Best,

Vieri