The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Service

anGy

Early december last year I faced a broken AF issue with my S-45mm.
I was a bit worried about the repair delay of course, also knowing that most german companies are closing their doors for the Xmas time sometimes as soon as from 15th dec.
Lens was returned to my dealer on a saturday, I took it back repaired 9 working days later. Excellent service.
(I'm living in Belgium, a country that shares a border with Germany).

Last time I've had to send a lens to Leica was in summer'16, it took 4 weeks.

The service level in EU seems to be excellent and I think shouldn't be compared to the unpleasant experiences faced with Leica US.

algrove

I am tired of hearing of how fast European residents get their S gear repaired versus those in far away countries.

I was in the Leica Store Las Vegas on this Tuesday where I met a professional who gets all of his income exclusively from photography by using the S system (in additional to the SL and M ystems). On Tuesday he got his repaired 120 Macro back after a 5 month wait. His first question was is this a permanent fix?

For someone who relies on his camera gear WORKING FLAWLESSLY, the 5 month delay is inexcuseable. So one and 2 week returns have no meaning for those of us who do not have a common border with Germany and where probably more S units are sold than those countries who do have common borders with Germany.

anGy

The title of the thread is 'Leica Service', not 'Leica Service in the US'.
Positive feedback is also valid and hopefully can help users to draw a more objective picture of the Leica Service internationally.

pesto

Well, good news and bad here. First the bad: Another One Bites the Dust, this time its my Summacron S 100mm and the old familiar music of a failed autofocus mechanism. The good news is that Leicas' John Kreidler came to the rescue with an immediate replacement while my lens makes its way back to the old country. I should also note that for the second time in a row I got a prompt email from Allendale confirming receipt of my lens.
While I am disappointed that two of my S lenses are now out of service, this is a welcome improvement in customer service and I am well pleased with their new responsiveness and especially Johns' superb and attentive support... well done.

2WK

Leica NJ has had my X Vario for almost one YEAR. The main circuit board died on it a few months after the warranty expired.
It has been next to impossible to get someone on the phone about it. A few months went by where I would call and call and it would go strait to a voicemail saying "Sorry, this mailbox is full"....on their main repair line! :thumbdown:

thrice

Leica NJ has had my X Vario for almost one YEAR. The main circuit board died on it a few months after the warranty expired.
It has been next to impossible to get someone on the phone about it. A few months went by where I would call and call and it would go strait to a voicemail saying "Sorry, this mailbox is full"....on their main repair line! :thumbdown:
In Australia the manufacturer's warranty period is only a guide. Given the premium cost of some electronics they have an expected durability in excess of their 1 year mandatory warranty.
Despite the fact that you may not have that kind of governmental assistance in the USA, a case could easily be made that they have taken an unreasonable amount of time to provide a repair and you are entitled to a refund.
Once again I am speaking only with knowledge of consumer law in Australia.

rayyan

Bitching and moaning is not appropriate.
I have said it time and time again.

Complain with your wallets.

All other forms of expressing dissatisfaction
With customer service are feeble attempts to
Gain attention.

Shashin

Gain attention.
I don't know. it does feel good.

But I certainly appreciate the insight. I have been toying with the idea of getting a Leica rangefinder, but this information has basically killed my interest.

Maggie O

I've been getting the same responses. If I email, I get a machine-generated, generic, "out of office" reply.

Can Americans send their cameras to Wetzlar?

Maggie O

Gain attention.
Will all due respect, I've already spent my money and part of the purchase is the right to "bitch and moan" as I please and an expectation of a company standing behind their product. I'm not about to sell off my all-time favorite camera and lenses.

I'm surprised at your post, Rayyan. It's a bit condescending and bilious, don't you think?

rayyan

Hi Maggie.

One does not have to make a purchase to bitch and moan. But, and as you correctly stated, a purchase of a camera system does entitle one to expect timely and qualified support from the company in case of malfunction. I would posit that generally, higher the price paid, higher the expectations of/from a company that wants us to believe in the longevity of its products and its support.

It does entitle one to bitch and moan of course, but the bitching and moaning does not seem to have had any effect..so far. As witnessed by the posts. This is real pain people are going through!

I am sorry if you feel my comment ' bilious '. What I really would like is to have ' the ' gnomes in Wetzler ' to find my comments as such. And give us all a prescription to ease the pain of the sufferers.

I, personally take Omeprazole ( corrected with thanks to Maggie ) for my acidity...but with Leica..I stopped purchasing their products.

Best to you and yours.

Will all due respect, I've already spent my money and part of the purchase is the right to "bitch and moan" as I please and an expectation of a company standing behind their product. I'm not about to sell off my all-time favorite camera and lenses.

I'm surprised at your post, Rayyan. It's a bit condescending and bilious, don't you think?

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Folks, Long term use of Omeprazole has issues. Research its side effects and insist that your GP keeps an eye on the magnesium levels!

(OTOH, Long term association with Leica only depletes one's cash! :ROTFL:)

bensonga

Thanks for correcting the medicine we both have to take!!

See what owning a Leica can lead to?

Take care.
Oh no....I recently bought a Leica M9 from Stuart Richardson, but I did not realize the possible/likely adverse health impacts of such a purchase. I too already take some meds (not Omeprozole) for GERD. Fortunately, Stuart has sent the M9 to Wetzlar for a complete check and tune-up before he sends it to me, so hopefully I will never have to deal with Leica USA service. Just one more reason for me to say thanks to Stuart.

Gary

Maggie O

Folks, Long term use of Omeprazole has issues. Research its side effects and insist that your GP keeps an eye on the magnesium levels!

(OTOH, Long term association with Leica only depletes one's cash! :ROTFL:)
It, like Leica NJ, will also make you lose your sH$%!

algrove

I've been getting the same responses. If I email, I get a machine-generated, generic, "out of office" reply.

Can Americans send their cameras to Wetzlar?
Yes, but it is best accomplished through a responsible dealer who often sends gear to Leica Germany.

doug

Update to my 280/4 APO story: Tony Rose (popflash.com) was able to source a replacement lens. Cosmetically the lens is nearly flawless, but as delivered to Tony there was some internal haze which affected contrast with backlighting. Off it went to Leica for service, and it returned with... internal haze! :banghead:

It was then sent to DAG, returned within a couple of weeks and I am happy to report the haze is gone and the lens performs flawlessly. Thanks Tony and Don!

EDIT: Leica is never seeing another dime from me. Love the lenses, detest the "service".

Last edited:

algrove

Update to my 280/4 APO story: Tony Rose (popflash.com) was able to source a replacement lens. Cosmetically the lens is nearly flawless, but as delivered to Tony there was some internal haze which affected contrast with backlighting. Off it went to Leica for service, and it returned with... internal haze! :banghead:

It was then sent to DAG, returned within a couple of weeks and I am happy to report the haze is gone and the lens performs flawlessly. Thanks Tony and Don!

EDIT: Leica is never seeing another dime from me. Love the lenses, detest the "service".
I detest the "non-service".

doug

Another update: some may recall my bitching and moaning about the eight months my original 280/4 APO spent not being repaired at Leica Wetzlar for lack of parts only to return with a smashed rear cap. As suggested here, I sent this lens to DAG in late May. Today I received an e-mail from him describing the repairs and oh BTW the cost is (a very reasonable) $xxx. It took me less than five minutes to send the funds. Parts needed? Three screws.