The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M 24mm

B

blakeslo

Interested in adding a M system for travel and would appreciate advice on my prospective set-up. Looking to pick up a 24(28?)/35/70 set up.. have looked at the mtf's and wanted some personal takes. The 3.8 24mm looks to have the highest resolving ability among the 3 24's in the current line-up. Anyone have any experience with this lens or have general advice?

Lloyd

Are you shooting film or digital?

My favorite focal length on the M8 is the 28, and the 28 Summicron, is my favorite 28. However, for travel, the 28 Elmarit is certainly convenient size-wise, and is tack sharp.

My personal travel kit is the CV 15/4.5 Heliar, 28 Cron, 50 Cron, and I sometimes add either the CV 75/2.5 or the CV 90/3.5 as those two are quite small, and easy to carry while traveling (BTW, that CV 75 is a terrific lens, and a genuine bargain.) As for shooting around town, or for specific projects, I carry a wider selection, but can tell you that the 28 Summicron pretty much lives on my M8.

Your mileage may vary. Good luck.

Lloyd

Oh, I neglected to mention that I often travel with my 35 Summicron ver. IV, as it is a tiny lens, and a great performer.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
The 24 is a good alternative if you plan to build around a 35...for an M8. This would give you the classic 35/50/90 FOV on the M8.

The 28/2 is a more popular solution (faster) but too close to the 35 . The 21 is also popular because it converts to a 28mm FOV which is perfect for street shooting .

You should be happy with the 24 or the 21 /28 alternatives as all are outstanding optics.

B

blakeslo

Old School...

I'm a film guy :)

Found a mint M6 in town for $1200 so thought it'd be a good time to jump.

Lloyd

Film, eh? For me, I'd go 28/50/90 for film. I don't think there's a lot of difference between 50 and 75... pretty much interchangeable. Or 24/35/75. But that's just my preferences.

Enjoy!!

Terry

Interested in adding a M system for travel and would appreciate advice on my prospective set-up. Looking to pick up a 24(28?)/35/70 set up.. have looked at the mtf's and wanted some personal takes. The 3.8 24mm looks to have the highest resolving ability among the 3 24's in the current line-up. Anyone have any experience with this lens or have general advice?
How much do you want to spend? The new 24mm Summilux is really pretty sweet. I just posted a couple shots from one I used for a few minutes at PMA

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?p=81757#post81757

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been using Elmarit 24 ASPH, Summilux 35 ASPH and Summilux 75 for a three-lens with my M6 for travel kit. I always felt that the Elmarit 24 is a very special lens, very sharp and contrasty. It has different optical signatures compared to the Summilux 35 ASHP. As long as I am using film, I will never let go of these three lenses.

I have not used the other two newer 24s but have read Erwin Puts report:

http://www.imx.nl/photo/leica/lenses/24mm/comp24.html

Kind regards,

B

blakeslo

Lloyd thanks for all the advice...

TEBnewyord.... I have an addiction problem so as much as my budget will allow... Probably ~$8,000

Hacker

The Elmarit is my favorite WA lens, has a special darker, murkier drawing (compared to say the 21 Elmarit, and 28 Cron/Elmarit). But the Elmar is slowly taking over that role. Once the Luxes come, this may change.

Erik Five

You cant go wrong with any of the 24´s. They are all plenty sharp. It depends on how much you want to spend and what speed you want ;)

My personal fav is 21, 35 and 50. The 75 lux is also really nice. I have owned three of them I think, but I find that I dont use it much. Id rather put on a 50 and zoom in with my feet. The 75 is of course a great portrait lens, but the 50 is fine and 75 is heavy to drag around.

S

sclamb

I have a 24/3.8 (Elmarit), 35/2.5 (Summarit), 75/2.5 (Summarit) set-up with my M8, and am soon to hopefully add the 18/3.8 (Super-Elmarit). So I will have the 35mm equivalent of 24mm, 32mm, 47mm and 100mm covered.

The 24/3.8 is scary sharp wide open and doesn't improve much from stopping down. Here's some examples from the 24/3.8:

Simon

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
If you plan on shooting film ....can we assume that you are focused on B+W images? The tri x look ? ISO 400.. If so I would go as fast as you can afford ...the 24 1.4 would be best available but you may not be that much better off than the 28/2 . The 28 on FF is wide enough for most subjects and has the advantage of rendering with little of the wide angle perspective.

If you are shooting with a single M film body....I would put my money in the most utilized lens first and build around it. The 35 1.4 lux is a superb lens and maybe even better on film . The 24 lux is expensive if its only for 10-15% of your images.

B

blakeslo

B&W

I shoot tri-ex and Tmax. Im leaning towards the 28mm 2.0(or 2.8) as my first lens. :-D

Lloyd

I have a 24/3.8 (Elmarit), 35/2.5 (Summarit), 75/2.5 (Summarit) set-up with my M8, and am soon to hopefully add the 18/3.8 (Super-Elmarit). So I will have the 35mm equivalent of 24mm, 32mm, 47mm and 100mm covered.

The 24/3.8 is scary sharp wide open and doesn't improve much from stopping down. Here's some examples from the 24/3.8:

Simon
Love the way that lens renders... And the color... Nice!!

junglehs

All the Leica lenses are great. Just pick one and start from there. It will become obvious what you need after starting out with one.

Having said all that I think the 24/2.8 is just unbelievably good. I have compared it with 35/2 asph, 28/2 asph and wate. To me it just draws amazingly well. I could do with the 24 and a 50 and go shoot for days on film.