The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New/Old Summaron-M 28/5.6

Price suggests it's for boutique and collector sales, though you'd think a collector would want the original.

I've read a lot about Leica lenses but had never heard of 28 Summaron as a 'classic.' I've never seen it praised in terms like those in the prospectus.

I thought the 'classic' 28mm was Winogrand et al's Canon f2.8, which was more-or-less contemporary with the Summaron?

Kirk

JeRuFo

It also says you can use 'hyperfocal focusing so you can shoot from the hip at a speed no AF can match.' Most of my cameras with AF can probably not focus just as fast.

Still, looks like nice travel lens, but a black one would be slightly better for that too.

V

Vivek

It also says you can use 'hyperfocal focusing so you can shoot from the hip at a speed no AF can match.' Most of my cameras with AF can probably not focus just as fast.
Get an RX1R II, put it in AF-C (continuous focus) mode and snap away. The tilt LCD allows for "hip" shooting, to compose in real time.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr

The Hague, Yesterday, RX1R II.

Someone at Leica should purchase one of these cameras to find out what is the cutting edge tech and try to emulate it quickly (not 15 years from now).

Bernard

The unique thing about this Summaron is that it's a symmetrical wide angle that works with digital sensors.

That optical construction provides a very distinctive look on film, but most symmetrical wide angles (Biogon, Jupiter-12, Super-Angulon) are blurry and smeary on digital.

I expect that this lens will be distortion-free, and it should flare very predictably and organically. In other words, it should have a different look from the current ASPH 28/2.8. That one is ultra-sharp, but it has slightly wavy distortion (barrel and pincushion at different image heights), and its complex construction will flare quite differently.

Well, yes, but not a surprising accomplishment? Other 28s (for example my 2.8 Hexanon) also firm up nicely in the corners of digital sensors if you stop them down to f5.6.

Kirk

V

Vivek

The unique thing about this Summaron is that it's a symmetrical wide angle that works with digital sensors.

That optical construction provides a very distinctive look on film, but most symmetrical wide angles (Biogon, Jupiter-12, Super-Angulon) are blurry and smeary on digital.
Leitz Hektor (precursor to the old Summaron) from the 1930s, wide open at f/6.3 on Sony A7s.

Leitz Hektor 2.8cm f/6.3, Sony A7s, The Hague

I have the W-Nikkor 2.5cm f/4 from the 1950s and that does even better on digital.

So, I am afraid that there is nothing unique about the 2.8cm Summaron.

wattsy

I must say I'm rather pleased with the new 28 Summaron. It's very sharp, has a nice amount of contrast (which holds up well into the light) with nicely behaved flare characteristics.

Portra 400

T-max 400

Agfa Vista 200

Seascape

Image taken with my just arrived, NEW 28mm Summaron (special order lens - possibly a limited edition).

Now this Classic design is renowned for it's smooth transition of the focus plane (Bokeh is what people would better relate to today).

While being extremely sharp with wonderful tones, it is just a bit soft in the corners.
Leica appears to have used exactly the same optical configuration as the original 1958 design.
As a result softness from that design is still there, however the results have "character" that people love….the classic Leica look!!

So shooting architecture is not it's thing, but I did it anyway.

Attachments

Last edited:

Seascape

Another image taken yesterday with the 28 5.6 Summaron:

Something of note, image is straight out of camera - jPeg conversion only, notice the lack of distortion.....so much for a classic older design, obviously it was very well designed optically in 1958 when introduced.

How many wide angle lenses designed today would give that level of distortion control :toocool:

Attachments

Last edited:

wattsy

Not my first choice lens for a portrait but you have to use what is on the camera.:D 28 Summaron-M and Portra 400.

Robert Campbell

How many wide angle lenses designed today would give that level of distortion control :toocool:
Not just wide angle lenses; in the film days, there really wasn't that much to do about distortion after exposure.

What do today's lenses, the ones that come with distortion control, offer that yesterday's lenses didn't?

MCTuomey

Get an RX1R II, put it in AF-C (continuous focus) mode and snap away. The tilt LCD allows for "hip" shooting, to compose in real time.

The Hague, Yesterday, RX1R II.

Someone at Leica should purchase one of these cameras to find out what is the cutting edge tech and try to emulate it quickly (not 15 years from now).
They did one better, imho: the Q