The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Noctilux Image

PSon

I sold my Leica M8 system and the lens that I miss the most is the Noctilux. Care to post your imges up here?

J

Jamie Roberts

Posted elsewere too, but what the heck. This is my new Nocti out and about in the *dark*

1250 ISO, 1/16s (LOL!!!) @ f1.0:

View attachment 72

The light-gathering and shooting characteristics of this system is astounding.

Attachments

J

Jamie Roberts

Hey Guy--

I really think it depends on how much low-light event work you do, or how much expressive photography (with soft light and darker tones) you want to do.

It does focus shift between f2 and 4 (right where you don't want it, really); it's big for an M lens; it's no sharper than the lux or cron. It's expensive as heck. Maybe Leica will replace it; I could see a 1.2 model coming with some improvements.

And I can't imagine using the Nocti in the studio or with strobes, though I'm probably going to use it with remote flash kits at certain cave-like venues.

For better light or less emotional stuff, I'd use the 50 lux instead I think, which is certainly no slouch of a lens!

But the Nocti's got remarkable light rendering characteristics. I think it's the lack of flare wide open and the remarkable amount of low-contrast detail (not sharpness) that kills me when I study the shots. I also can't believe the way it lets you use available light for key, fill and separation.

It's a truly special-purpose paintbrush, but given the romantic stuff I do, it's a must-have in the box. If I was doing more corporate stuff, I'd probably give it a miss.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I know , it is a nice lens and actually Jack and i share one even though he bought it. LOL

i know what we need to do is make ski masks with the Getdpi logo on it and use it for bank robberies so we can get more glass, you think they would figure it out. ROTFLMAO

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
BTW getDPI actually stands for GET Digital Photographic Instruction. We should have done a challenge on what it stands for

robsteve

Subscriber
But the Nocti's got remarkable light rendering characteristics. I think it's the lack of flare wide open and the remarkable amount of low-contrast detail (not sharpness) that kills me when I study the shots. I also can't believe the way it lets you use available light for key, fill and separation. .
I remember shooting the Noctilux on B&W film and noticing how much detail the shadows had, even in normal light levels. You are probably correct that it is the tremendous flare control that lets the very weak photons come out from the shadows and hit the sensor.

robsteve

Subscriber
I was at a diner party Saturday night and took only the M8 and a Noctilux. I shot about 180 pictures and of those I had 146 that were in focus and usable. Of the rest, some were out of focus and some were just bad pictures with things like closed eyes or motion blur.

Here are a few from the party.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
And here I was all ready to sell my Nocti and you guys post these beauties.... Dang, guess I'll hang onto it for another few months!

:D,

F

fotografr

Here's a Nocti image from a theatrical production I shot last night.

hdrmd

Here is one of the first from my new Noctilux. It was ordered at the end of the discounted deadline, and took about 5 months to arrive. I was going to sell it, but am strongly considering keeping it. This is at a Thoroughbred Horse Auction. DR