The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 18mm F4 ZM Sharpness

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I shot this yesterday of a demo cockpit which the screens need to be replaced and still a lot of PS work to be done. Half daylight and strobe so somewhat a mess to shoot but just wanted to show you how sharp the Zeiss 18mm is. This reminds me of the Zeiss 21 distagon that we paid a lot of money for to bolt onto our Canons in the past. This lens is extremely sharp as you can see . no sharpening folks this is pretty much out of the can except i did fix some little things up. So if your in the market for a clinical sharp lens this maybe the best I have seen in this focal length so far.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
That is looking *really* great! Not only sharp, but very low distortion!

Guy Mancuso

Jack what i thought having the 21mm leica when i bought the zeiss 18mm was i was nuts to have 2 lenses so close but what I am seeing is there completely different looks, which i like a lot when i need clinical the 18 is the one but the leica 21mm is the smooth one, It just looks smoother more like film , still very sharp but has that 28 cron look we love. So having both in the bag is not such a bad thing and the 18mm is somewhat a bargain at 1100.00. Of course i hd John change the mount for me and code it for the WATE.

BTW i could use a empty 60mm filter ring to use as a shade actually would like to try two. If anyone has them let me know, would like to buy them

I agree, the image looks very sharp. In the 100% crop, I noticed some sort of reflection or localized blue (cyan) light just above the red switch in the upper right had corner. Is this a reflection off a filter or a light with gel?

E

espressogeek

That is impressive. I would love to see landscape shot taken with this lens.

Guy Mancuso

Will do in Moab when we get up there on the 3rd. Looks like a lens i will go to with all the landscape we will be doing.

E

espressogeek

I am eagerly looking forward to it. If I could get really good 20x30 prints out of it with this lens I would probably get another M8. I had one when they first came out and sold it out of frustration over the blobing, banding and lack of understanding of the 8 bit DNG format. Since they have most of that worked out the M8 and this lens look to be the easy way towards landscape work and having a nice camera to carry around on trips and such.

Will do in Moab when we get up there on the 3rd. Looks like a lens i will go to with all the landscape we will be doing.