The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 28mm f2.8 Elmarit-R

B

blakeslo

Sorry for all the questions guys.... currently adding a set of primes to my Nikon set while starting an M kit as well.

Already made my mind on the 80mm 1.4 Leica but had a question on the 28mm....

I am interested in the newest model (released 2002? with a built in hood).... do any of you have any thoughts... it looks small but how is it in hand? sharp? etc. I am having a hard time finding any news on it since it is for the R system and is fairly new so any thoughts are appreciated.

Please just comments on the new model as this is the one im looking at.

Will convert it for use on my F5/F100/D700 combo. I have very good vision so focus shouldnt be a concern. Also, if you have any links to reviews thatd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
I have been using one for not too long but I really like it. This is by far the best lens in 28mm focal length that I have used. I can only think about two other lenses that could possibly out perform this lens: Summicron 28 ASPH M and Zeiss ZF 28/2,0.

Kind regards,

B

blakeslo

Jan & Ocean, would either of you mind posting a few sample images... thanks for the comments so far!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You will be completely happy with the IQ ..the 28/2.8 R was regarded as the "Gold Standard" when many were converting the R glass for Canon. The only issue is its a 2.8...if your requirements can live with 2.8 you have nothing to worry about.

I am building out the same kit for a D3/D700 and the Leitax mounts. But I already had the 28/2 ZF which is an exceptional lens. I am not sure I like mixing the R and zeiss glass because the color is different . The other lens to consider is the 35/2 summicron R which has a great look....not the max MTF performance of the 28/2.8 but a great balance of color,contrast and resolution and its a 2.0.

What I am finding in converting R glass to the Nikon system is ...... resolution and contrast aren t an issue ....and I am comparing this to a DMR....its the color saturation,bokeh and the stuff thats referred to as "character"........you can see it in the 80 1.4 examples .

JimBuchanan

I have one; it's small and sharp. Very sharp.
Well, I'll agree with sharp, but it does weigh about 430g. Are you thinking of an M version?

I have one (modified for Canon EOS mount) and it is amazing, the corner sharpnessn and contrast wide open. My question to ZF28/2.0 users is how good is f/2.0 performance? And how good is closer performance?

B

blakeslo

Ocean, thanks for the scans, nice shots... and I am looking at both the R and M 28's.

pgmj

The Elmarit-M 28 won't disappoint either. Very low distortion and very sharp. Quite high contrast, which might be something you like or not (I have the Voigtlander 28/1.9 for low contrast, low light). The M is tiny and light-weight, even if the lens hood makes it a lot bigger. Without the hood the lens protrudes about 30mm from the camera, with the hood it's more like 46mm.

B

blakeslo

I can't mount M lenses on my Nikon?! :p...

I couldn't help it... like the previous poster stated im currently building up a collection of Leica glass. Shoot jobs with my Nikon's so want some sharp primes to round out my 2.8 kit. Also getting tired of lugging 4lbs of cam equipment on vacation so looking to add a M kit to my set. (Also spent the first 8 years of my career shooting manual so that should be fun).

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone, its nice knowing their are still forums out their that can participate in civil discourse.

Stuart Richardson

Sorry, I missed the part where you were looking for M kit as well. By the way, given that you are from San Luis Obispo, I hope you are supporting your local Really Right Stuff company! Best tripod heads around...

Ocean

Senior Subscriber Member
blakeslo,

I just want to add that the Nikkor 28/2,8 AIS (current version) of the manual focus lens is also an excellent choice for 28mm focal length. It's as good as the Leica R-Elmarit 28, in close focus range, although its color rendition is different than that of Leica. It's my most used Nikkor lens. It is well made, light, and can be had very inexpensively. You may be surprised by how good it is.

Kind regards,