The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is this normal? 1100 bucks for repairing a R lens?

hasselbladfan

I was a little chocked when I got a 1100 dollar repair estimate for my R 280mm.

The lens is still focusing, but there is some noise when you focus.

Is this normal?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member

Is this normal?
YES ..if the lens is estimated to require major parts . My highest lens repair has been around $700 which was for a 75 summiux M but this was almost 10 years ago .

DAG is a much better choice in the USA for this type of repair and would be less than half that expensive .

Paying for Leica factory service is no guarantee of quality work as almost 50% of my lens repairs we sent back for a 2nd try . For me ..M and R lenses always go to DAG . S lenses directly to Wetzler. Film bodies to DAG.

Digital camera bodies are a different story and my experience has been mostly good with things sent to Wetzler and even NJ has been excellent with M bodies.

Don t even think about handling any S repairs without a good dealer .

Bernard

$1100 isn't out of line for a high-end lens like an R280. I've seen similar quotes from Zeiss and Hasselblad. For that price you get back what is essentially a new lens, ready for 10-20 more years of abuse. It's not such a high price when you consider the replacement cost, and the fact that they aren't making any more of those particular lenses.

doug

Is this normal?
Not atypical. At least you got an estimate. I sent my 280/4 to Leica USA for repair in May (this year) and I have yet to receive an estimate.

FWIW, to my knowledge DAG hasn't done any repairs on the 280/4 yet and he describes it as a 'difficult lens to service'. I'm not sure I'd want mine to be the first one in his shop (aside from the 3-cam conversion he did on my lens 11 years ago).

hasselbladfan

Not atypical. At least you got an estimate.
I cannot complain about the speed of service.

I got an estimate in two weeks. It just looks like I am paying for all the guys who are getting free service (AF issues, sensor corrosion).

They estimate 8h and 5 min (!) work at 120 euros per hour! Woow.

V

Vivek

I cannot complain about the speed of service.

I got an estimate in two weeks. It just looks like I am paying for all the guys who are getting free service (AF issues, sensor corrosion).

They estimate 8h and 5 min (!) work at 120 euros per hour! Woow.
That 5 minutes should raise a few flags, especially given how they screwed up the sensor cover plates after coming from the M8 fiasco.

jaapv

Subscriber Member
YES ..if the lens is estimated to require major parts . My highest lens repair has been around $700 which was for a 75 summiux M but this was almost 10 years ago .

DAG is a much better choice in the USA for this type of repair and would be less than half that expensive .

Paying for Leica factory service is no guarantee of quality work as almost 50% of my lens repairs we sent back for a 2nd try . For me ..M and R lenses always go to DAG . S lenses directly to Wetzler. Film bodies to DAG.

Digital camera bodies are a different story and my experience has been mostly good with things sent to Wetzler and even NJ has been excellent with M bodies.

Don t even think about handling any S repairs without a good dealer .
I think you'll find that DAG does not do most repairs on APO lenses. At least the parts for this lens are still available. Many R lenses cannot be repaired at all.