The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playing with the DMR

woodyspedden

Love my M8's.

But the R9/DMR is in Class of its own. If you love phography you will automatically love the files of the DMR. Don't be confused, these files are at the bitter end of the debate. Love the DMR..........Love the M8 but don't be confused, the DMR is the champ........Long live the DMR

Woody Spedden

PeterA

You can shoot focal lengths longer than 50 easily on a DMR and the wides are no slouches either. The M8 produces beautiful files as well but rangefinders aren't designed to use with long focal lengths - sure you can use the 75, 90 and 135's - good luck getting consistent hand held results though. Horse for courses.

things will hot up again re Leica R series when the full frame version comes out. Everything went quiet because Imacon merged with Hasselblad and stopped supplying Leica SLR chips and software. Alto of people got out of the DMR because there was no apparent upgrade long term development path a couple of years - when Leica was in a lot of financial trouble.

Things have steadied now - and manufacturing costs have come down a lot - witness Nikon's ability to deliver (finally) a full frame chip, technology in 35mm land is getting cheaper and better, and plateauing in terms of pixel numbers Leica can play again.

David K

Workshop Member
I can't wait for things to heat up again with the DMR :) Taken with the 35-70 zoom if I recall correctly.

gogopix

Subscriber
well
david's was a show stopper!:salute:

However, lrt's keep the DMR thinking alive.
Here is one from a society wedding in Prague

They thought I was from Hello! magazine
:eek:

Victor

PS Just showing how well the 180 frame, quite a distance away

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
yes i am sure people wonder about photogs

like here..
I call it my Prague-Photag

sometiome you wonder what is going on:confused:

Victor

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
yes i am sure people wonder about photogs

like here..
I call it my Prague-Photag

sometiome you wonder what is going on:confused:

Victor
It always looks odd to me when people hold the lenses or zoom their zooms with their palms away from themselves rather than towards themselves. You notice it a lot in movies when the actors are playing the paparazzi.

When you hold the lens with the palm towards yourself, you can brace you elbow against your chest to steady the camera, rather than having your elbow sticking out to the side and in the air.

LJL

Jaap,
Love those ripples in the sandy/muddy foreground on that first shot. Has a genuine texture to it. Lovely shot.

LJ

gogopix

Subscriber
It always looks odd to me when people hold the lenses or zoom their zooms with their palms away from themselves rather than towards themselves. You notice it a lot in movies when the actors are playing the paparazzi.

When you hold the lens with the palm towards yourself, you can brace you elbow against your chest to steady the camera, rather than having your elbow sticking out to the side and in the air.
:salute:

yes, I think palm out 'looks' more professional; it certainly is HARDER!

But, you bet. A quiet hand gets the best shot. Maybe it is for those who want carpel tunnel problems!:ROTFL:

Victor

woodyspedden

:salute:

yes, I think palm out 'looks' more professional; it certainly is HARDER!

But, you bet. A quiet hand gets the best shot. Maybe it is for those who want carpel tunnel problems!:ROTFL:

Victor
Hey Victor

Somewhat OT but how are you getting on with the 105-280? Nice to see your work in Prague. I was there this past summer shooting exclusively with my M8's and loved the experience. Saw the opening night performance of Mozart's Don Giovanni which was lovely. You probably know that the premier performance of that opera was given in the venue that Phyllis and I saw it. The connection to history gives such things an added meaning and value.

Best

Woody

gogopix

Subscriber

I love the guy on the right pointing you out to his girlfriend:toocool:
Maybe it was the hat!:ROTFL:

gogopix

Subscriber
Hey Victor

Somewhat OT but how are you getting on with the 105-280? Nice to see your work in Prague. I was there this past summer shooting exclusively with my M8's and loved the experience. Saw the opening night performance of Mozart's Don Giovanni which was lovely. You probably know that the premier performance of that opera was given in the venue that Phyllis and I saw it. The connection to history gives such things an added meaning and value.

Best

Woody
Well, I am going to take some heat for this; I haven't even opened the shipping box yet!:eek:

Let me explain; I have been looking for a good version of this lens, at a decent price for a few years. When yours came up (and I remembered the good experience I had with another purchase from you!) it was a no brainer.

However, I am a pack rat and 'rotate' through my equipment based on need. Thye cold weather etc have not permitted wildlife here for a while. I intend for that (maybe try the 1.4 or 2x)

I really like the DMR and although I will be curious to see a R10, I am quite satisfied with my DMR and will be for years.

Don't worry, I plan to enjoy it a lot!

best regards
Victor

woodyspedden

Here is a 2006 shot from Bryce Canyon Utah. It is hard to take a bad image of this wonderful vista. This one shot with R9/DMR with the 90 APO.

Woody

P

pascal_meheut

Nice shoots indeed guys. Love my DMR too. Once, I was cruising in the south of France and saw these guys windsurfing. I had to shoot jpeg because my cards were almost full but I had the 280mm/4 with me.