The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just got an SL w/h 24-90 usead, need advice on some primes.

kuau

Workshop Member
There are at least four Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8 II available on Ebay at present. BIN prices are currently from $1650 to $2900. I'm sure it will perform well.

Myself, I would try the Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8. You can find them for $650-750 in near mint shape and it's a delightful performer. Tamarkin.com has an early one (1974 vintage by the serial number) with hood for $495.

G
Godfrey,
Yes I have been watching those on ebay yet I am looking for some conformation that the Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 is indeed a good performer on the SL. One thing that does scare me about R lenses in general is buying into a mount that has been dead for some years.

The 24 you mentioned I know is a very good lens, just a little to wide for me for everyday use. 28mm FOV seems to be most favored when 99% of all cell phones all have the same FOV and 28mm is what the Leica Q uses. One has to wonder why Leica chose 28mm over 35mm for the Q...

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I have had my SL for about a year and now use the M (240) mostly as a backup. I rarely use the 24-90, in part because of its size and in part because it is slower than my M lenses. I went back through tens of thousands of images taken with the SL and figured out that roughly 35% were taken with the 28 f/1.4, 40% with the Noctilux f/0.95, and 25% with some other M lens. Less than 5% with the zoom. As a night shooter, I guess this isn't surprising, but I'm clearly very pleased with the M lenses on the SL.

scott kirkpatrick

The SL is big enough that it doesn't feel unobtrusive and leads to a longer working distance, even with a tiny M lens mounted. So I tend to use it with longer lenses, or with a 15 SuperElmarit that would be almost impossible to use on an M. Two candidates among the longer R lenses that would do something that the 24-90 cannot are the Macro-Elmarit-R 100 and the Summilux-R 80. The particular portrait-style signature of the Mandler 80 is a look you won't get with the current Karbe generation of zooms. The Macro-100 is outstandingly sharp, and works much closer than any zoom, or than the 80-R and 90-R short telephotos. Both are frequently available on EBay at modest prices.

One other R lens that is worth considering is the 21-35 Vario-Elmarit Asph. There is still no announced date for a wide SL zoom, and this excellent lens covers the end of the 24-90's range in which there is the most software correction going on. It has some distortion as well, but much less than the 24-90. There is also a very late model 28-90 Vario-Elmarit available, but it is expensive and doesn't seem to offer any advantage beyond its smaller size. In fact the used 28-90 Vario-Elmarit-R is now listed for more than some report that the 24-90 Vario-Elmarit-SL is selling for.

scott