The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S CS vs Non CS

Earlstone

What is the consensus opinion on which lenses to buy? I want to build a kit and I don't know which direction to go. I don't own any flash and mostly just shoot life stuff as a hobby. However, I may want a strobe for portraits later on, but that's a maybe.

msadat

none cs lenses are cheaper but can't sync past the camera sync speed. so if shoot studio, may be the lens (for me the 70) is cs and the rest i dont care. fyi, the 100,24 and 30-90 are only none cs

Last edited:

fotografz

What is the consensus opinion on which lenses to buy? I want to build a kit and I don't know which direction to go. I don't own any flash and mostly just shoot life stuff as a hobby. However, I may want a strobe for portraits later on, but that's a maybe.
I'd shop to see the difference in price between a used S and CS lens of the same focal length. If you are buying new, the used prices will tell you the % of retain value for buying a CS lens.

From a creative perspective, a CS lens provides an advantage mostly when using lighting outdoors because higher shutter speed sync allows control of background exposures to tame backlit, bright/sunny/blown-out type backgrounds.

In a darkened studio environment that advantage is lessened since flash duration is usually as fast or faster than the S camera's shutter speed (typically 1/800 to 1/1500 sec duration). I still use CS mode in studio because my working space isn't light tight ... so 5 of my S lenses are CS versions and 1 is not: S-100/2

As mentioned, the CS exceptions are the zoom and S-100/2. I shoot a lot of portraits with the 100mm (roughly a 70 or 75mm in 35mm terms). If I need HSS flash for a portrait, it is either the CS70/2.5 (full length) or CS120/2.5 (head shot to waist-up). The 120 is a macro and is not exactly a fast focusing lens.

Interestingly, a really good option for portrait work with the S camera is an adapted Hasselblad 100/2.2, use it as a leaf-shutter to 1/800th sync, or as a focal plane lens to 1/4000.

Hope this helps a little,

- Marc