The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Q vs Sony RXR1II

jdphoto

I didn't find this on any threads here, but curious if anyone has used both these and what their thoughts are? I'm a 28mm fan and think the Q with 24MP is about perfect for my print needs, but loathe the fact it's not weather sealed! A camera that's designed to go anywhere should have some weather resistance.

I didn't find this on any threads here, but curious if anyone has used both these and what their thoughts are? I'm a 28mm fan and think the Q with 24MP is about perfect for my print needs, but loathe the fact it's not weather sealed! A camera that's designed to go anywhere should have some weather resistance.
I've used both. Personally my advice would simply be to buy based on your preferred focal length. They are both excellent. The Q has one of the best 28s ever, and the RX1 has one of the best 35s ever. The RX1RII has better image quality, full stop. The BSI sensor and that lens just make a better file. But the Q makes excellent files too! Depending on your shooting style you may never notice the difference. The Q has better ergonomics and shooting experience, that's obvious. Sony knows how to make a technical marvel and some great glass, but they lack a certain charm. Much is said about this difference and most of it is just hot air. A competent photographer who wants to make use of a tool learns how to use it and works to it's strengths. The Sony is much smaller than the Q, but the Q feels more robust. I frequently point out that 'feeling robust' is not the same as 'being robust'.

As for weather sealing, I wouldn't hesitate to use either in mist, sea air, snow, light rain.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The Q has better ergonomics and shooting experience, that's obvious. The Sony is much smaller than the Q, but the Q feels more robust. I frequently point out that 'feeling robust' is not the same as 'being robust'.

As for weather sealing, I wouldn't hesitate to use either in mist, sea air, snow, light rain.
I agree with this assessment. Had the RX1R and loved the files ... too slow and gadgety ... took the Q to Isle of Skye Lewis and the Highlands of Scotland ... mist light rain daily. It was superb ... intuitive fast and
brought home very compelling pictures ... good enough that I sold it ...:ROTFL:

I bought a Leica M-D ... have not looked back but if I were in the market for a travel camera or one that was always with me the Q would be a front runner.

I do not swim with my cameras and if the weather is that bad outside you will find me by the fire.

Bob

biglouis

I owned the RX1 which in a foolish moment I sold (excellent, excellent camera) and later when I wanted another fixed lens camera of this type had to choose between the RX1RmII and the Leica Q. I went with the Leica purely on the minimal ergonomics which seems counter intuitive but really suits my style.

You have to try both and make your mind up. Unless you can afford both!

Just my two cents.

LouisB

teeraash

I had both the rx1 m2 and q. To me, the sony is easier to use mainly due to its focal lenght and likely to produce more beautiful images. I will buy FF fixed lens again probably as early as next week and that would definitely be a new Q. I guess my heart take a better of my head.

"The Q has better ergonomics and shooting experience, that's obvious. Sony knows how to make a technical marvel and some great glass, but they lack a certain charm. Much is said about this difference and most of it is just hot air."

I guess I'll add a bit to the air pollution, partly agreeing and partly not:

Indeed all Sonys have a nasty menu system. But I find the RX1rII a charm to hold and shoot. With a Metro grip, a ThumbsUp, a soft release and a wrist strap, I feel like I'm carrying my M4 again – except that it has an AF upgrade.

So IMO it's simply a lens choice, 28 or 35mm.

Kirk