The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Longevity of replacement M9 and M9mm sensors

jonoslack

Hi There
As some have been implying that the replacement sensors are not completely fixed, I thought it was worth checking back with Leica about this.
The MM sensor replacement, Like the M9 sensor replacement - is a corrected one
The same problem will not happen again, because the glass used which 'exfoliated' is not used in the replacement sensors (since the announcement that it was fixed).

So if you want to have and keep a CCD based monochrom or colour camera, then you can assume that once the sensor is fixed then it will have just as long a life as any other sensor for any other camera (other than an original M9 :) )

I hope the is useful

best
Jono

V

Vivek

That was my feeling too, Jono, until i saw Bob's suggestion to sell.

jonoslack

Well, it just seems to me that there are a lot of people right now selling cameras to buy an M10 . . That might settle down in a few weeks/months, and the CCD myth seems to have legs (great stuff), so when people with GAS have upgraded we have 3 M cameras

The CCD M9 (we all know it's best ;) )
The Video M240 (we all know it's best ;) )
The classic M10 (we all know it's best ;) )

The market just needs to settle down a little until we all know these truths!

D&A

Jono,

I think some confusion exists even up till today for the following reasons. Prior to this newly designed non corroding sensor/cover glass, people with evidence of sensor corrosion would have their sensors replaced with one that was still of the original design. Therefore these initial replacement sensors were also prone to corrosion.

Then shortly after Leica announced they had a solution and newly designed sensor, some cameras in the repair pipeline for sensor replacement also received the original designed sesnor which was prone to corrosion

Thats why when people are puting their M9/ME/MM1 cameras up for sale these days and say the sensor has already been replaced, its still a bit confusing for some since postential buyers don't know if the replacement sensor is the originally designed one or the newly non corrosive kind. Of course even if of the original design, Leica will replace it if it ever corrodes, free of charge.

The firmware for those cameras receiving the non corrosive sensor apparently has a unique firware revision that from my understanding cannot be loaded nor backward compatible with cameras with the old sensor.

Dave (D&A)

jonoslack

Jono,

The firmware for those cameras receiving the non corrosive sensor apparently has a unique firware revision that from my understanding cannot be loaded nor backward compatible with cameras with the old sensor.

Dave (D&A)
That's right Dave - if you're buying a second hand camera you can see if it has the new, non-corrosive sensor by checking the firmware.

..... you have to know, but I don't think it's confusing

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Vivek,

I apologize if you took that as a suggestion to sell ... it was really an assertion that one should use the
camera they have a love / affinity for and not hold onto stuff just for its own sake. True prices may rise
a bit but at that point you have to find a buyer and compete with other sellers ... not a guarantee to
increase your profit.

I do think that Jono is correct that we are in a selling frenzy as the new new thing with the little battery
has hit the market.

I know that you love the RX1R cams and that the Leica has been sitting for a while. Life is a series of choices
that tend to be repetitive ... if not exactly the same at times very close approximations of desire and sacrifice.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited:

D&A

I'd also add that if someone finds a M9/ME/MM1 that exactly what they are looking for in terms of price and condition but has the original sensor that shows no signs of corrosion, I wouldn't hesitate to buy. Reason being is Leica isn't going to change out an original sesnor that shows no signs of corrosion and if it ever does begin to corrode, they will change it out, regardless of age or ownership.

I notice some hesitate but except for time lost while being repaired, its as good as any other and besides, when sent in, Leica will go over the entire camera when and if sensor needs replacing.

Dave (D&A)