The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S - A Warning To Potential Buyers 2

justalexander

Continuing on from my earlier thread regarding problems with the Leica S...

I've been experiencing flare on some of my images. After some research I think I found the probable cause. Reflections from the AF sensor unit. At least that's what causes almost identical problems with other cameras.
Nikon D750 flare problems? Here?s why and what to do about them. (It?s not your lens.)

I experience the problem with the 120mm regardless of where the light source is in the frame. The 30-90 to a lesser extent and the 24mm when there's a bright light source on the edge of frame. Here's an example from a job I shot today. I've also attached a blank frame taken with the 120mm which shows the flare in the same place on the right hand side.

Can anyone else verify this? If this is indeed the cause, how can we get Leica to acknowledge the problem and offer a solution? If this isn't the cause does anyone have another suggestion?

Attachments

erlingmm

Referring to a similar discussion in another forum, I think there is consensus that you have a sensor problem, and that it should be changed. Whether the the flare problem is a sensor problem or some other cause, should be checked by Leica. I hope you have a reputable dealer who will support you, otherwise contact Leica directly.

Paratom

regarding the problem with your Leica S

Continuing on from my earlier thread regarding problems with the Leica S...

I've been experiencing flare on some of my images. After some research I think I found the probable cause. Reflections from the AF sensor unit. At least that's what causes almost identical problems with other cameras.
Nikon D750 flare problems? Here?s why and what to do about them. (It?s not your lens.)

I experience the problem with the 120mm regardless of where the light source is in the frame. The 30-90 to a lesser extent and the 24mm when there's a bright light source on the edge of frame. Here's an example from a job I shot today. I've also attached a blank frame taken with the 120mm which shows the flare in the same place on the right hand side.

Can anyone else verify this? If this is indeed the cause, how can we get Leica to acknowledge the problem and offer a solution? If this isn't the cause does anyone have another suggestion?
Hi Alexaner,
I have not experienced such problem with my S2/S006/S007 and my lenses. I havent particulary looked for such a problem, so I can not say if it is possible to produce such an effect. It is just I have never seen/realized any problem.

"Can anyone else verify this? If this is indeed the cause, how can we get Leica to acknowledge the problem and offer a solution? " => The obvious answer is to talk to Leica, send them examples or your camera. Also maybe ask for a loaner camera and see if it shows the same effect. Otherwise it might lead to many speculation but nothing to rely on.

justalexander

I received an email from Leica saying the flare is caused by paint falling off inside the mirror box but I looked inside and it's completely flock lined while the mirror itself is a solid dark matte grey.

While I was in there I think I discovered the real cause. As you can see from the attached pic, the mechanism on the left hand side is larger than the right. Light appears to be bouncing off something inside that hole and back onto the sensor. You can see what resembles reflections on the top left of the sensor caused by the iPhones flash. It doesn't appear to happen on the right hand side. Whether this is actually caused by paint falling off or whether there was never paint in there to being with is unknown. Either way, they can look at fixing it at the same time they replace my sensor... which failed approximately 8 months after purchase.

Attachments

Paratom

I received an email from Leica saying the flare is caused by paint falling off inside the mirror box but I looked inside and it's completely flock lined while the mirror itself is a solid dark matte grey.

While I was in there I think I discovered the real cause. As you can see from the attached pic, the mechanism on the left hand side is larger than the right. Light appears to be bouncing off something inside that hole and back onto the sensor. You can see what resembles reflections on the top left of the sensor caused by the iPhones flash. It doesn't appear to happen on the right hand side. Whether this is actually caused by paint falling off or whether there was never paint in there to being with is unknown. Either way, they can look at fixing it at the same time they replace my sensor... which failed approximately 8 months after purchase.
I hope they offer you a loaner camera for the repair time.

msadat

i have used 2 s2, 1 s2p, 2 se (006) and 2 s007, none of which has shown your kind of problem, so sensor issue it could be. on the other hand lots of motor failures! and leica quietly fixes them.