The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Leica R Lens

David K

Workshop Member
I've never un-stocked on my R glass mostly because I still enjoy shooting with the DMR. I actually prefer it to the M8 if kit size is secondary. If the R10 ls anywhere near reasonably priced (I worry about the slide of the dollar) I'll be on line to get one. I'm guessing any new glass they make for that camera will be very expensive...

woodyspedden

I couldn't agree more about the terrific files from the DMR. I was simply focusing on a FF R10, hopefully using the new Kodak technology to provide a higher resolution, lower noise product. I am not looking for super resolution but something in the neighborhood of 16 MPX. This number of pixels on a FF or larger sensor, provide a pixel size that allows for really good low noise performance without the smoothing of the competitive noise reduction systems from N and C. I think the new Nikon D3 shows what is possible with a 12.8Mpx sensor and FF sensor size. If Nikon was not so interested in frame speed I believe they could bump up the resolution to at least 16 Mpx and still maintain the superb noise performance of the D3. In fact I suspect that within a year this is exactly the product they will introduce. (Photokina 2008) Certainly Leica has no need for high frame rates because the entire system is oriented towards imaging which does not include sports and other venues which benefit from such. Personally I would be thrilled with 3FPS along with the other attributes I described. Just MHO and YMMV

Woody Spedden

EH21

If Leica comes out with a R10 with auto focus, and (what was the rumor Jack?) 24 new R lenses with AF, then I doubt the R10 will bolster prices for the current glass. But the sliding dollar and perhaps all the canon shooters that discover their new 1DsIII works better with Leica lenses they may push up prices. A few reasons to go up and a few reasons to go down so I'm betting they'll stay about the same as they are now.

I'm definitely keeping my 35-70mm elmarit, 80 'lux, 50 'lux, 100 apo macro for sure. Just bought the 28mm and its a tiny bit easier to Manual focus than the 21-35 so I'll sell the zoom and hopefully find a 19mm (or 15mm) that I can afford. Not sure what to do with the 80-200mm f/4. Had planned to upgrade to the 70-180 apo but never did.

robsteve

Subscriber
If Leica comes out with a R10 with auto focus,
Who needs auto focus :) Shot with my 400mm f2.8. It is probably one of two lenses I have bought for the R and kept/not upgraded. The 105-280mm is the other. The rest I have bought and sold according to the maket prices.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
If Leica comes out with a R10 with auto focus, and (what was the rumor Jack?) 24 new R lenses with AF, then I doubt the R10 will bolster prices for the current glass.
Actually, Dr. Kaufman said 24 lenses in development for M and R and possibly X(?). At least one or two will be a new exotic M lens (perhaps 0.9 Noct). There will also be more Summarit-type "bargain" lenses. So, how many new R lenses is a toss-up. We'll all see at Photokina 08.