The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Leica R Lens

PSon

With the anticipation of the Leica R10 what Leica R lens is your all time favorite and do you anticipate it will be replaced with the AF version?

J

Jamie Roberts

LOL!! See the "new acquisition" thread. The 80 1.4 summilux isn't likely to be AF'd anytime soon, and if they do make it I'd have to consider a 3rd mortgage or something because that wouldn't come off the R10 ever ;)

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just don't touch the 80 lux and the 180 f2 cron or i will go over to Solms and make them myself. LOL

woodyspedden

My all time favorite is the 35-70 elmarit but it hasn't been produced for a very long time now. I doubt that Leica will go back into production with this lens as it was very hard to build and consequently they lost money even at the rather stratospheric price charged. I do have one for sale here if anyone is interested. I had bought two copies and they were equally good so I am now selling one of them.

Woody Spedden

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I think one thing we will see with the release of the R10 is a few lenses (maybe AF zooms) moderately priced similar to the concept for the soon to be released Summarit M's. Remember when the M8 was released there was also a 28 which was also moderately priced. They will use this to attract newcomers. What else they have in store for us is a good question.

We have to assume the R10 will be full frame but there are these rumors about full frame or larger so the sensor size still is a mystery and will make a big difference.

I have several R lenses now and I plan on sitting on all of them until the arrival of the R10 and take it from there. I am sure new releases of lenses will be tempting as well. Currently I have the 19, 28, 35/2, 60, 80, 100, 180/2.8, & 35-70/4 - all ROM except the 80 and 100 (don't have any of the big bucks lenses). They are all fantastic on the DMR but the 80 and 180 are really special for me. I can imagine that the 19 and 28, already two stellar performers, will be fantastic tools for many photographers on a full frame R10.

Also, bring on the 135/2 APO. That would be a nice addition and will cost me a kidney for sure (plus I'll have to get the 280/4 if the R10 is full frame because my 180 will only be 180 LOL)

doug

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite 'cuz they're all 'best' lenses in various circumstances.

for my kid pix it's the 90 'cron
for wildlife at close range it's the 280 f/4 APO
and with more skittish wildlife or stuff that would eat me it's the 560 f/6.8

OTOH when kayaking I'll use a beater SL and an old Novoflex 400mm T-Noflexar.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
My most used lens on the DMR is the 35 cron, followed by the 90 APO. My favorites are 19, 28, 35 cron, 60 macro, 90 APO, 100 Macro and 180 APO Elmarit. Not necessarily in that order. As far as AF goes... I do just fine with MF. I'd guess that I miss focus 1 or 2 times out of 100 shots. This is a far better percentage than most advanced AF cameras.

I'm sure the new AF lenses will be extraordinary. We'll all have to wait and see, of course.

David

robsteve

Subscriber
I think I enjoy using my 400mm the most. Here are a couple images from it shot today. The colours are just so rich and when you get the focus right, it is razor sharp. these were shot on the DMR at 800iso.

cmb_

Fantastic shots Robert. I am always impressed with your ability to focus so well in action shots. Shots are well composed and the DMR seemed to handle the noise well at 800. As you pointed out, the colors are really rich, very nice indeed.

Attachments

fotografz

I have two equal favorites. The 35/1.4 and 80/1.4.

This based mostly on my shooting style and application. The 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 are my favorite Canon lenses and the M 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 LUX are my favorite M optics.

I suspect that if there are AF R optics they'll first start with zooms.

I also strongly suspect (with some inside info) that the R-10 will support current manual lenses with focus confirmation.

Attachments

Last edited:

PSon

I have two equal favorites. The 35/1.4 and 80/1.4.

This based mostly on my shooting style and application. The 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 are my favorite Canon lenses and the M 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 LUX are my favorite M optics.

I suspect that if there are AF R optics they'll first start with zooms.

I also strongly suspect (with some inside info) that the R-10 will support current manual lenses with focus confirmation.
I hope that the focus confirmation will be there. Even more concerning, will the current Leica R lens be able to stop down automatically on the new R10? The lens are stop down manually when the other camera systems went from a manual focus to an auto focus camera body .

Last edited:

fotografz

Leica's new German leader has hinted that all our wishes will come true. He is an avid collector of Leica gear and is responsible for a huge influx of capital into the Leica coffers.

In a recent meeting with Leica USA dealers, he indicated operations will likely return to Wetzlar, and it will take time to rebuild the company because they had eliminated so many of the craftsmen in past financial purges ... talent not easily replaced.

The indications are that he intends to return the R system to pro level expectations as a leader, not a follower. R10: Full frame. Focus confirmation. Possibly AF.

So Pham, if it's a R mount it'll do stop down metering I'm sure. With the ROM system it's concievable that all functions of new AF lenses would be only electronic like with the Contax N camera ... so they might not be retro to older R cameras.

Did you guys ever see my design for the R10 that I posted on the Leica Users forum? Can't wait to see how close I was : -)

Last edited:

carstenw

I love that design. I hope Leica makes it.

My favorite R lens is the 80 Lux. In fact, that is my favorite lens ever, period. I wish the 75 Lux was more like it, but it is too sharp or too soft, depending... I could imagine that if I had ever owned the 180/2 that this might compete, but nothing else has come close so far.

cmb_

Yeah, love that R10 design. Glad to see you kept the manual switch for the Mirror Pre-Release. That is one of my favorite features on the R9/DMR, so happy I do not have to go menu hunting.

You need to add the Flash Sync lever and connection socket from the R9 and possibly the auto exposure bracketing lever and single/continuous frame lever from the DMR, but that may be a bit much. Keep it simple and clean!

PSon

Marc, please call me Son. The design of your Leica R10 look like an R8 front with the DMR rear but no extra motorize part. This design makes the camera less bulky similar to the Canon 5D versus the 1Ds. I can see why Carsten like the design since he himself own the 5D over the 1Ds series. I hope you are right that the current R lens with ROM will be able to stop down automatically. You got me excited already for the R10.

Carsten, you are the resident of the Leica R 80 Lux for sure. If you get the chance to use the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2/180, you will find its optic performance among the top Hall of Fame lens at 180-200mm; especially it focuses extremely close to the subject as compare to the Canon 1.8/200L and other brands. However, because it is an F2 and at 180 mm focal length and came from Leica top craftmanship, it is heavier and bulkier than the 80 Lux. Therefore, I believe you will find both lens to be unique and useful in its designs and situtions. This is why I always consider the Noctilux to be a unique lens; at 50 mm focal length there is no other lens that can take images like the Noctilux with the 50 mm perspective. You simply cannot compare the perspective of the 50 mm at 75 mm focal length for example.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

BTW guys when i was in Wetzler and Solms we did see where the new buildings for Leica are going to be built. The new owner Mr. Kaufman also owns other businesses that compliment Leica very well with there products. So there will be a lot of sharing the building of Leica in the future, which this will be a very positive because it will all be under the same blanket of ownership. Leica as we know is basically a optical company but the other business include a very large milling shop and others that will blend in very nicely with Leica. I also think the R10 will be at LEAST FF and maybe larger, it will have a few AF lenses but all that will come from the Rom electronics to control it and be backwards compatible with the manual lenses today but with focus confirmation. i have a strong feeling about the R10 being the one to really take Leica off the charts. My other humble prediction is M9 FF and R10 sharing the same sensor and being announced at the same time at Photokinia 2008.

No inside info here, just pure gut feeling.

fotografz

That's enough of a hint to keep me out of the market for a number of course changes I had been considering for the DSLR end of the gear box. Time to just wait and be patient.

Guy Mancuso

Marc it maybe a good idea, of course you have to wait and that maybe a issue for some to wait it out. Looks like at least a year. . One reason i mention maybe building that R lenses up and bolt them on the Canon so if the Leica killer comes out than you have that option. I'm trying to hold on myself until than. I could use something besides the M8 sometimes but what is the question. Don't want to dump a ton of money in anything and that damn 180 f2 is sitting in the B&S section from Son that is giving me a itch.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I love the look of the DMR and Summilux 80, it's a fantastic combo. Too bad it's so large. Even if I sell the DMR I'll hold onto my lenses - 19, Macro 60, 80/1.4, APO 280/4, 35-70/4. I like them all, and with a FF R10 available I'd probably find myself a nice Summicron 35.

I'd be interested in trading my DMR (back only) for a used M8 though, if anyone is interested.

Guy Mancuso

Jan maybe put that in the B&S on the trade so more folks may see that. Tempting. i still love the DMR and kick myself sometimes that i sold it. i just can't afford 2 30 k systems . Being a lens pig i can't just have 2 lenses for the DMR though , than again maybe.