The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Favorite Leica R Lens

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Guy, I've seriously contemplated selling my remaining R lenses, but even though they get very limited use I have this nagging feeling I'll want them for something as soon as they're gone. I agree it's a huge amount of money to tie up in something that isn't used regularly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And that is my issue , gear sitting to me is just wasting money. It just does make sense to me , maybe part of the reason I buy and sell so much gear. I get this itch if it sits in the safe more than a week a bell goes off and says sell it and buy something else. Need to stop that. LOL

Really i know the R10 is going to scream so what do you do for another year and than who is to say a M9 may hit the streets the same day with the same sensor. Than what. i mean we ALL jump for joy no question but which way do you go. ideally both but my other issue is backup . I don't feel comfortable with let's say One M8 and One DMR. I need two of the same . I think everyone of us Nikon, Canon, MF and Leica shooters are just sitting here waiting for the next shoe to drop. We all are facing the same issues , where do we go from here. Tough call for all of us

I really wish i had the answers. i mean i am very happy with the M8's but i want more too.

J

Jamie Roberts

Hey Guy--

Why do you need two of the same, is my question. I mean, given that the R lenses fit on both Canon and DMR, or that the M8 is so very small...

I mean, I'm hoping that M9 and R10 all fit in the same bag, with the M wides and the R teles :)

Guy Mancuso

Just not sure I could have enough lenses for both systems if one quits is one reason. And the other is i have always had 2 of the same for so long that not sure I can break that habit

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Guy,

Not so sure about the same sensor in full-frame R and full-frame M. Because of the distance from flange to sensor, the microlenses would need to be positioned differently to compensate for vignetting. I'm sure that the underlying sensor tech will most certainly be the same though. But maybe the base sensitivity of the M9 will be higher than the R10 (ISO 160/200 for M and ISO 50/100 for R).

David

Guy Mancuso

That is what i was thinking David was more like a base sensor that leica can purchase for both systems at a better cost. Than for the M there maybe certain external design changes like the micro lenses that need to be different. But this is where they can save a large amount of money is getting enough of the basic sensor for both systems. Hopefully something there looking at

EH21

Do I have to have just one? :)

My R lens choices are ranked as follows:

35-70mm elmarit - its almost always on my r8/dmr
100 APO macro
80mm 'lux

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Ha! I still have my Leica R 28/2.8 ASPH ROM! I remembered selling it about a year ago, but today when hunting down the box for the Zeiss M 21/2.8 I'm selling (on B&S) I spotted the Elmarit 28 box. Hmm, didn't I sell that, or did I send it without the original box? Grabbed it and realized this is no empty box...

Guess it never sold and I never got around to relisting it, and eventually just spaced it!

Not a bad item to find on a shelf in a cabinet! :)

robsteve

Subscriber
Jan:

The current selling price of them seems to be in the $1,300 or less range. At that price it is worth holding on to it for the R10 . It will probably be a stellar lens on the R10.

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Jan:

The current selling price of them seems to be in the $1,300 or less range. At that price it is worth holding on to it for the R10 . It will probably be a stellar lens on the R10.
Yeah, I agree. I'm holding on to my remaining R gear in anticipation of the R10. If nothing else, the lenses might be worth more at that point.

atanabe

Before the DMR came out you could get a 90 Asph for the R in MINT condition for $1100, at the height of the DMR newness the price went up to $1700. The same with the M lenses and M8 rise. The R lenses went down in price and have started to go up in anticipation of the R10. My advice for those thinking of buying that dream system is to buy now and if you have R lenses hold. I picked up a couple of lenses, 35-70 f3.5 (German) and 180 Apo Telyt 3.4 (Canadian), $900 for the pair. I will keep them in a safe place till the R10 comes out.

DISCLOSURE: I do own R lenses and am not an employee of Leica or any of their distributors :)

PSon

Ok until the next generation sensor is available for the R lens here is a poor technical sample of the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 on the Sigma SD14. The bokeh and colors look good but the resolution I will resolve soon. BTW what is the best way to prepare the file to make it looks best in this forum?

atanabe

Holy crap. Was this with a gun pointed at the seller?! :eek:
No, with no R digital currently available, the price of good vintage R glass is down. The lenses, 35-70 3.5 (German)is a great compact medium focal zoom, the 180 Apo Telyt (Canada), was one of the sharpest 180s. But because these are of the earlier designs, people sell them for the latest and greatest. R glass never has held their price because the pool of users was too small, unlike M glass which has always had a steady market.

I am all but done with my initial repurchase of R lenses, the R10 will be my long lens setup, the M8 for travel. Don't think I will go the 180 Cron as this is a large lens and I know that my lazy self will not want to carry that much bulk around all day. Same with the Modular system, had the 280 but again it was heavy and although fantastic images, it stayed behind due to bulk.

woodyspedden

I agree on the issue of holding the R lenses until the R10 is on the market. First because if you choose to get an R10 that won't be the time to be buying R glass because it is likely to have skyrocketed. If you decide not to buy an R10 you can then sell the R glass at a much higher price! Win Win as they say.

I have sold some of my R glass such as the superb 35-70 Elmarit but only because I had two copies! So my current lineup is 15 Elmarit (which I also use with an adapter on my M8), 19,21-35, 35-70 Elmarit, 90 cron, 100 Macro, 180 Elmarit APO, and 280 4.0. Along with the 1.4x Extender this is a pretty formidable lineup.

So bring on the R10

Woody

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree on the issue of holding the R lenses until the R10 is on the market. . . . If you decide not to buy an R10 you can then sell the R glass at a much higher price! Win Win as they say.

Woody
Woody, another option - If you decide not to buy an R10 keep the superb R glass and use it on the equally superb DMR! Win Win Win is what I say!