Site Sponsors

Thread: Favorite Leica R Lens

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Favorite Leica R Lens

With the anticipation of the Leica R10 what Leica R lens is your all time favorite and do you anticipate it will be replaced with the AF version?
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Jamie Roberts

Re: Favorite Leica R Lens

LOL!! See the "new acquisition" thread. The 80 1.4 summilux isn't likely to be AF'd anytime soon, and if they do make it I'd have to consider a 3rd mortgage or something because that wouldn't come off the R10 ever

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just don't touch the 80 lux and the 180 f2 cron or i will go over to Solms and make them myself. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My all time favorite is the 35-70 elmarit but it hasn't been produced for a very long time now. I doubt that Leica will go back into production with this lens as it was very hard to build and consequently they lost money even at the rather stratospheric price charged. I do have one for sale here if anyone is interested. I had bought two copies and they were equally good so I am now selling one of them.

Woody Spedden

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think one thing we will see with the release of the R10 is a few lenses (maybe AF zooms) moderately priced similar to the concept for the soon to be released Summarit M's. Remember when the M8 was released there was also a 28 which was also moderately priced. They will use this to attract newcomers. What else they have in store for us is a good question.

We have to assume the R10 will be full frame but there are these rumors about full frame or larger so the sensor size still is a mystery and will make a big difference.

I have several R lenses now and I plan on sitting on all of them until the arrival of the R10 and take it from there. I am sure new releases of lenses will be tempting as well. Currently I have the 19, 28, 35/2, 60, 80, 100, 180/2.8, & 35-70/4 - all ROM except the 80 and 100 (don't have any of the big bucks lenses). They are all fantastic on the DMR but the 80 and 180 are really special for me. I can imagine that the 19 and 28, already two stellar performers, will be fantastic tools for many photographers on a full frame R10.

Also, bring on the 135/2 APO. That would be a nice addition and will cost me a kidney for sure (plus I'll have to get the 280/4 if the R10 is full frame because my 180 will only be 180 LOL)

Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard for me to pick a favorite 'cuz they're all 'best' lenses in various circumstances.

for my kid pix it's the 90 'cron
    for wildlife at close range it's the 280 f/4 APO
    and with more skittish wildlife or stuff that would eat me it's the 560 f/6.8

OTOH when kayaking I'll use a beater SL and an old Novoflex 400mm T-Noflexar.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

My most used lens on the DMR is the 35 cron, followed by the 90 APO. My favorites are 19, 28, 35 cron, 60 macro, 90 APO, 100 Macro and 180 APO Elmarit. Not necessarily in that order. As far as AF goes... I do just fine with MF. I'd guess that I miss focus 1 or 2 times out of 100 shots. This is a far better percentage than most advanced AF cameras.

I'm sure the new AF lenses will be extraordinary. We'll all have to wait and see, of course.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think I enjoy using my 400mm the most. Here are a couple images from it shot today. The colours are just so rich and when you get the focus right, it is razor sharp. these were shot on the DMR at 800iso.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic shots Robert. I am always impressed with your ability to focus so well in action shots. Shots are well composed and the DMR seemed to handle the noise well at 800. As you pointed out, the colors are really rich, very nice indeed.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have two equal favorites. The 35/1.4 and 80/1.4.

This based mostly on my shooting style and application. The 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 are my favorite Canon lenses and the M 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 LUX are my favorite M optics.

I suspect that if there are AF R optics they'll first start with zooms.

I also strongly suspect (with some inside info) that the R-10 will support current manual lenses with focus confirmation.
    Last edited by fotografz; 10th November 2007 at 17:18.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    I have two equal favorites. The 35/1.4 and 80/1.4.

This based mostly on my shooting style and application. The 35/1.4 and 85/1.2 are my favorite Canon lenses and the M 35/1.4 ASPH and 75/1.4 LUX are my favorite M optics.

I suspect that if there are AF R optics they'll first start with zooms.

I also strongly suspect (with some inside info) that the R-10 will support current manual lenses with focus confirmation.
    I hope that the focus confirmation will be there. Even more concerning, will the current Leica R lens be able to stop down automatically on the new R10? The lens are stop down manually when the other camera systems went from a manual focus to an auto focus camera body .
    Last edited by PSon; 11th November 2007 at 00:03. Reason: for clarity
    ALPA (MAX, STC, TC) | CAMBO (Actus DB2, WRS-AE) | CONTAX | HASSELBLAD | LEICA | DB (CFV-16, CFV-39, IQ180, IQ360, IQ3100, P45+) | Lens (Canon, Fujinon, Leica, Nikon, Pentax, Rodenstock, Schneider, Zeiss)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leica's new German leader has hinted that all our wishes will come true. He is an avid collector of Leica gear and is responsible for a huge influx of capital into the Leica coffers.

In a recent meeting with Leica USA dealers, he indicated operations will likely return to Wetzlar, and it will take time to rebuild the company because they had eliminated so many of the craftsmen in past financial purges ... talent not easily replaced.

The indications are that he intends to return the R system to pro level expectations as a leader, not a follower. R10: Full frame. Focus confirmation. Possibly AF.

So Pham, if it's a R mount it'll do stop down metering I'm sure. With the ROM system it's concievable that all functions of new AF lenses would be only electronic like with the Contax N camera ... so they might not be retro to older R cameras.

Did you guys ever see my design for the R10 that I posted on the Leica Users forum? Can't wait to see how close I was : -)
    Last edited by fotografz; 13th April 2008 at 15:06.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that design. I hope Leica makes it.

My favorite R lens is the 80 Lux. In fact, that is my favorite lens ever, period. I wish the 75 Lux was more like it, but it is too sharp or too soft, depending... I could imagine that if I had ever owned the 180/2 that this might compete, but nothing else has come close so far.
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yeah, love that R10 design. Glad to see you kept the manual switch for the Mirror Pre-Release. That is one of my favorite features on the R9/DMR, so happy I do not have to go menu hunting.

You need to add the Flash Sync lever and connection socket from the R9 and possibly the auto exposure bracketing lever and single/continuous frame lever from the DMR, but that may be a bit much. Keep it simple and clean!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc, please call me Son. The design of your Leica R10 look like an R8 front with the DMR rear but no extra motorize part. This design makes the camera less bulky similar to the Canon 5D versus the 1Ds. I can see why Carsten like the design since he himself own the 5D over the 1Ds series. I hope you are right that the current R lens with ROM will be able to stop down automatically. You got me excited already for the R10.

Carsten, you are the resident of the Leica R 80 Lux for sure. If you get the chance to use the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2/180, you will find its optic performance among the top Hall of Fame lens at 180-200mm; especially it focuses extremely close to the subject as compare to the Canon 1.8/200L and other brands. However, because it is an F2 and at 180 mm focal length and came from Leica top craftmanship, it is heavier and bulkier than the 80 Lux. Therefore, I believe you will find both lens to be unique and useful in its designs and situtions. This is why I always consider the Noctilux to be a unique lens; at 50 mm focal length there is no other lens that can take images like the Noctilux with the 50 mm perspective. You simply cannot compare the perspective of the 50 mm at 75 mm focal length for example.
    Last edited by PSon; 11th November 2007 at 05:45. Reason: for clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW guys when i was in Wetzler and Solms we did see where the new buildings for Leica are going to be built. The new owner Mr. Kaufman also owns other businesses that compliment Leica very well with there products. So there will be a lot of sharing the building of Leica in the future, which this will be a very positive because it will all be under the same blanket of ownership. Leica as we know is basically a optical company but the other business include a very large milling shop and others that will blend in very nicely with Leica. I also think the R10 will be at LEAST FF and maybe larger, it will have a few AF lenses but all that will come from the Rom electronics to control it and be backwards compatible with the manual lenses today but with focus confirmation. i have a strong feeling about the R10 being the one to really take Leica off the charts. My other humble prediction is M9 FF and R10 sharing the same sensor and being announced at the same time at Photokinia 2008.

No inside info here, just pure gut feeling.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That's enough of a hint to keep me out of the market for a number of course changes I had been considering for the DSLR end of the gear box. Time to just wait and be patient.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc it maybe a good idea, of course you have to wait and that maybe a issue for some to wait it out. Looks like at least a year. . One reason i mention maybe building that R lenses up and bolt them on the Canon so if the Leica killer comes out than you have that option. I'm trying to hold on myself until than. I could use something besides the M8 sometimes but what is the question. Don't want to dump a ton of money in anything and that damn 180 f2 is sitting in the B&S section from Son that is giving me a itch.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love the look of the DMR and Summilux 80, it's a fantastic combo. Too bad it's so large. Even if I sell the DMR I'll hold onto my lenses - 19, Macro 60, 80/1.4, APO 280/4, 35-70/4. I like them all, and with a FF R10 available I'd probably find myself a nice Summicron 35.

I'd be interested in trading my DMR (back only) for a used M8 though, if anyone is interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan maybe put that in the B&S on the trade so more folks may see that. Tempting. i still love the DMR and kick myself sometimes that i sold it. i just can't afford 2 30 k systems . Being a lens pig i can't just have 2 lenses for the DMR though , than again maybe.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I've seriously contemplated selling my remaining R lenses, but even though they get very limited use I have this nagging feeling I'll want them for something as soon as they're gone. I agree it's a huge amount of money to tie up in something that isn't used regularly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And that is my issue , gear sitting to me is just wasting money. It just does make sense to me , maybe part of the reason I buy and sell so much gear. I get this itch if it sits in the safe more than a week a bell goes off and says sell it and buy something else. Need to stop that. LOL

Really i know the R10 is going to scream so what do you do for another year and than who is to say a M9 may hit the streets the same day with the same sensor. Than what. i mean we ALL jump for joy no question but which way do you go. ideally both but my other issue is backup . I don't feel comfortable with let's say One M8 and One DMR. I need two of the same . I think everyone of us Nikon, Canon, MF and Leica shooters are just sitting here waiting for the next shoe to drop. We all are facing the same issues , where do we go from here. Tough call for all of us

I really wish i had the answers. i mean i am very happy with the M8's but i want more too.

Jamie Roberts

Hey Guy--

Why do you need two of the same, is my question. I mean, given that the R lenses fit on both Canon and DMR, or that the M8 is so very small...

I mean, I'm hoping that M9 and R10 all fit in the same bag, with the M wides and the R teles

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just not sure I could have enough lenses for both systems if one quits is one reason. And the other is i have always had 2 of the same for so long that not sure I can break that habit

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

Not so sure about the same sensor in full-frame R and full-frame M. Because of the distance from flange to sensor, the microlenses would need to be positioned differently to compensate for vignetting. I'm sure that the underlying sensor tech will most certainly be the same though. But maybe the base sensitivity of the M9 will be higher than the R10 (ISO 160/200 for M and ISO 50/100 for R).

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is what i was thinking David was more like a base sensor that leica can purchase for both systems at a better cost. Than for the M there maybe certain external design changes like the micro lenses that need to be different. But this is where they can save a large amount of money is getting enough of the basic sensor for both systems. Hopefully something there looking at

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing like the 28mm for all around work.
    Last edited by gogopix; 15th November 2007 at 17:40.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and the crop
    Last edited by gogopix; 25th January 2015 at 17:21.

Post Thanks / Like

Do I have to have just one? :-)

My R lens choices are ranked as follows:

35-70mm elmarit - its almost always on my r8/dmr
    100 APO macro
    80mm 'lux

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I liked the 24 for nature shots

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I liked the 24 for nature shots
    Your horizon is crooked

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha! I still have my Leica R 28/2.8 ASPH ROM! I remembered selling it about a year ago, but today when hunting down the box for the Zeiss M 21/2.8 I'm selling (on B&S) I spotted the Elmarit 28 box. Hmm, didn't I sell that, or did I send it without the original box? Grabbed it and realized this is no empty box...

Guess it never sold and I never got around to relisting it, and eventually just spaced it!

Not a bad item to find on a shelf in a cabinet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan:

The current selling price of them seems to be in the $1,300 or less range. At that price it is worth holding on to it for the R10 . It will probably be a stellar lens on the R10.

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    Jan:

The current selling price of them seems to be in the $1,300 or less range. At that price it is worth holding on to it for the R10 . It will probably be a stellar lens on the R10.
    Yeah, I agree. I'm holding on to my remaining R gear in anticipation of the R10. If nothing else, the lenses might be worth more at that point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Before the DMR came out you could get a 90 Asph for the R in MINT condition for $1100, at the height of the DMR newness the price went up to $1700. The same with the M lenses and M8 rise. The R lenses went down in price and have started to go up in anticipation of the R10. My advice for those thinking of buying that dream system is to buy now and if you have R lenses hold. I picked up a couple of lenses, 35-70 f3.5 (German) and 180 Apo Telyt 3.4 (Canadian), $900 for the pair. I will keep them in a safe place till the R10 comes out.

DISCLOSURE: I do own R lenses and am not an employee of Leica or any of their distributors :-)
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atanabe View Post
    I picked up a couple of lenses, 35-70 f3.5 (German) and 180 Apo Telyt 3.4 (Canadian), $900 for the pair.
    Holy crap. Was this with a gun pointed at the seller?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok until the next generation sensor is available for the R lens here is a poor technical sample of the Leica Apo-Summicron-R 2.0/180 on the Sigma SD14. The bokeh and colors look good but the resolution I will resolve soon. BTW what is the best way to prepare the file to make it looks best in this forum?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Holy crap. Was this with a gun pointed at the seller?!
    No, with no R digital currently available, the price of good vintage R glass is down. The lenses, 35-70 3.5 (German)is a great compact medium focal zoom, the 180 Apo Telyt (Canada), was one of the sharpest 180s. But because these are of the earlier designs, people sell them for the latest and greatest. R glass never has held their price because the pool of users was too small, unlike M glass which has always had a steady market.

I am all but done with my initial repurchase of R lenses, the R10 will be my long lens setup, the M8 for travel. Don't think I will go the 180 Cron as this is a large lens and I know that my lazy self will not want to carry that much bulk around all day. Same with the Modular system, had the 280 but again it was heavy and although fantastic images, it stayed behind due to bulk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree on the issue of holding the R lenses until the R10 is on the market. First because if you choose to get an R10 that won't be the time to be buying R glass because it is likely to have skyrocketed. If you decide not to buy an R10 you can then sell the R glass at a much higher price! Win Win as they say.

I have sold some of my R glass such as the superb 35-70 Elmarit but only because I had two copies! So my current lineup is 15 Elmarit (which I also use with an adapter on my M8), 19,21-35, 35-70 Elmarit, 90 cron, 100 Macro, 180 Elmarit APO, and 280 4.0. Along with the 1.4x Extender this is a pretty formidable lineup.

So bring on the R10

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    I agree on the issue of holding the R lenses until the R10 is on the market. . . . If you decide not to buy an R10 you can then sell the R glass at a much higher price! Win Win as they say.

Woody
    Woody, another option - If you decide not to buy an R10 keep the superb R glass and use it on the equally superb DMR! Win Win Win is what I say!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Woody, another option - If you decide not to buy an R10 keep the superb R glass and use it on the equally superb DMR! Win Win Win is what I say!
    Another good reason to stock up on R glass, deals on used DMRs!

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've never un-stocked on my R glass mostly because I still enjoy shooting with the DMR. I actually prefer it to the M8 if kit size is secondary. If the R10 ls anywhere near reasonably priced (I worry about the slide of the dollar) I'll be on line to get one. I'm guessing any new glass they make for that camera will be very expensive...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I couldn't agree more about the terrific files from the DMR. I was simply focusing on a FF R10, hopefully using the new Kodak technology to provide a higher resolution, lower noise product. I am not looking for super resolution but something in the neighborhood of 16 MPX. This number of pixels on a FF or larger sensor, provide a pixel size that allows for really good low noise performance without the smoothing of the competitive noise reduction systems from N and C. I think the new Nikon D3 shows what is possible with a 12.8Mpx sensor and FF sensor size. If Nikon was not so interested in frame speed I believe they could bump up the resolution to at least 16 Mpx and still maintain the superb noise performance of the D3. In fact I suspect that within a year this is exactly the product they will introduce. (Photokina 2008) Certainly Leica has no need for high frame rates because the entire system is oriented towards imaging which does not include sports and other venues which benefit from such. Personally I would be thrilled with 3FPS along with the other attributes I described. Just MHO and YMMV

Woody Spedden

Post Thanks / Like

If Leica comes out with a R10 with auto focus, and (what was the rumor Jack?) 24 new R lenses with AF, then I doubt the R10 will bolster prices for the current glass. But the sliding dollar and perhaps all the canon shooters that discover their new 1DsIII works better with Leica lenses they may push up prices. A few reasons to go up and a few reasons to go down so I'm betting they'll stay about the same as they are now.

I'm definitely keeping my 35-70mm elmarit, 80 'lux, 50 'lux, 100 apo macro for sure. Just bought the 28mm and its a tiny bit easier to Manual focus than the 21-35 so I'll sell the zoom and hopefully find a 19mm (or 15mm) that I can afford. Not sure what to do with the 80-200mm f/4. Had planned to upgrade to the 70-180 apo but never did.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    If Leica comes out with a R10 with auto focus,
    Who needs auto focus Shot with my 400mm f2.8. It is probably one of two lenses I have bought for the R and kept/not upgraded. The 105-280mm is the other. The rest I have bought and sold according to the maket prices.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    If Leica comes out with a R10 with auto focus, and (what was the rumor Jack?) 24 new R lenses with AF, then I doubt the R10 will bolster prices for the current glass.
    Actually, Dr. Kaufman said 24 lenses in development for M and R and possibly X(?). At least one or two will be a new exotic M lens (perhaps 0.9 Noct). There will also be more Summarit-type "bargain" lenses. So, how many new R lenses is a toss-up. We'll all see at Photokina 08.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ha...this is easy. Only got one R lens. 105-280. A Noctilux would be fun...if...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At least theres plenty time to be prepared, get lenses, well for some of us.