The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Novoflex Canon EF Lens to Leica SL Adapter: list of AF compatible/tested lenses

Bubble

For all the Leica SL owner out there that thinking about using your Canon lens via adapter, i have good news for you. Here are list of lens that i'm current have and test with the adapter. This is for AF adapter.

Canon Lenses:

16-35mm f/4 IS: Snappy/fast AF
24-70mm f/2.8 mkii: AF work. Ok speed
24-105L : AF work. Speed ok
35L mkii: AF work. Speed ok. Have to switch AF/MF once in awhile for the lens to communicate with the camera.
100L : AF work/ average. However, it hunts quite a bit sometime for no reason.
135L: Fast AF
70-200mm f/2.8 mkii: AF work. OK speed

Canon BIG WHITE LENS:
Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS II: AF work. OK speed.
Canon 400DO mkii : AF work but VERY VERY SLOW.
Canon 600mm f/4L IS II: AF work but Slow.

Sigma lenses:

8-16mm: Fast AF. Make sure to switch your SL to APS-C mode.
20mm ART: Super fast AF. almost the same as if you're using with DSLR. I'm surprised.
24mm ART: Super fast AF.
35mm ART: AF not working at all
50mm ART: AF not working at all
24-35mm ART: Ok AF
18-35mm ART: Fast AF
50-100mm ART: Fast AF. However, sometime the camera stop communicate with the lens. I have to turn off the camera, turn back on then AF works fast again.

I'll update this list frequently. If you happen to have the same adapter but different lens from this list, please respond so we can have a better list.

Last edited:

Bubble

can't seem to go back and edit the original thread. Here are few more lenses to the list:

50L: AF work but very slow
85L mkii: AF work but very slow
Canon EF 8-15 Fisheye: AF work but SL recognize the lens as EF-S 17-85 in metadata.

Canon EF 85 1:1.8: AF work. Average speed.

frontosa

Workshop Member
I was aware of your list of Canon EF lenses that functions with the Novoflex converter but a lot of the lenses I own are not included in that list. The converter was ordered from Adorama and was received last friday. To those that have Canon lenses, here are the results. The Leica SL was set at "M", aperture and exposure adjusted manually. For the longer telephoto lenses, I also used 1.4 II and 2.0 II extenders.

35 1.4 - The autofocusing was fast and on the dot. The autofocus speed was not hampered by aperture settings of 2.8, 4.0 or 5.6.

50 1.2 - Also worked very fast. Results were similar to the 35 1.4, no changed in focusing speed by different aperture settings.

85 1.2 - This was a disappointment. Friday evening, it worked indoors but earlier this morning, it would not work at all, regardless of aperture settings.

100 2.8 Macro - It autofocused fast at wide open, as the aperture changed to 4.0, did not work as fast and started hunting and at 5.6, it was even slower and focusing was hit or miss. What I mean is while the focusing point is dead center and using that focus point, the SL would confirm the focusing yet it was clearly our of focus.

135 2.0 - At 2.0, it would autofocus slowly but focus was right on. At other apertures, it would hunt and when there is a confirmation of focus, but in fact it is not focused.

16-35 2.8 II - Autofocusing works, a little slow. Works at 2.8, 4.0 and 5.6 and different focal lengths. Did not work at f8 and f11.

24-70 2.8 II - Autofocusing was fast, as fast as if the lens was mounted on a Canon body. The different apertures and focal lengths did not affect the autofocusing speed.

70-200 2.8 II - I tested this lens last friday afternoon. The autofocusing was very fast and spot on.

200 1.8 - I was very concerned with this lens. I had not used this lens for about 10 years. It just sat in the closet. I was very surprised that it works. The autofocusing speed was average. Using the 1.4 II, the autofocusing was slightly lower but still spot on. With the 2.0 II, the autofocusing was hit and miss, it sometimes took 2 or 3 attempts to autofocus properly.

200 2.0 - The autofocusing was very fast and spot on. Using either 1.4 II or 2.0 II, the focusing did slow down a bit similar to if it was mounted on a Canon body.

300 2.8 IS - Results were similar to the 200 2.0. Very useable with the 1.4 II and 2.0 II.

400 2.8 II IS - Strangely, this lens autofocused the fastest and the focus was spot on. Likewise, using the 1.4 II and 2.0 II did slow down the autofocusing a bit, focusing was very right on.

I did not have time to test the Canon 24-105 4.0 and two Zeiss ZE lenses - the 21 2.8 and the 28 2.0. I would assume the Zeiss should work since this is all manual.

While I do prefer Leica lenses, I would definitely use these Canon telephotos since I have no intentions of acquiring Leica telephoto lenses.