The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 28-90 R user experiences on the SL body

HL4x10BW

Hello,

I am transitioning from my M240 MP to the SL since my use is mainly landscape shots. I breifly tried the S 006 but found it to be too big, bulky and heavy for me. I have a touch of arthritis in my shoulder.

I have read many positive threads on the SL 24-90 lens with the SL but no many on folks using the R 28-90. I realize I would give up autofocus and weather sealing with the R lens but I am hoping to gain less bulk and weight.

Both lenses are roughly the same price used and the "R" lens is sometimes even more expensive. So, it comes down to user experiences. Is anyone using the R 28-90 Asph with their SL and, if so can you provide your pros and cons?

Thank you, in advance, for your replies.

Hugo

andreleon

Hello,

I am transitioning from my M240 MP to the SL since my use is mainly landscape shots. I breifly tried the S 006 but found it to be too big, bulky and heavy for me. I have a touch of arthritis in my shoulder.

I have read many positive threads on the SL 24-90 lens with the SL but no many on folks using the R 28-90. I realize I would give up autofocus and weather sealing with the R lens but I am hoping to gain less bulk and weight.

Both lenses are roughly the same price used and the "R" lens is sometimes even more expensive. So, it comes down to user experiences. Is anyone using the R 28-90 Asph with their SL and, if so can you provide your pros and cons?

Thank you, in advance, for your replies.

Hugo
Hi Hugo , I have the SL 24-90 and the R 28-90 Asph. So I could compare both and both are outstanding . Get the 28-90 , lighter , smaller , f 2,8 , cheaper , you can't be disappointed . I intend to sell the 24-90 to finance a S007 , keeping the 28-90 + my 21-35( super combo) . Cheers .

HL4x10BW

This was my thinking but with so many sharp photos with the 24-90 I was wondering.

I like very much the idea of smaller and lighter.:thumbup:

Merci beaucoup Andre

jaree

You may be aware already - R 28-90 is F2.8 only at the wide-end (just like the SL "native" lens, in case it matters). I agree it is a very nice lens and can serve as one lens that can do it all. I tried it on a loaner SL for a week and the results were excellent. All mechanical lens, nothing to go wrong.

Last edited:

HL4x10BW

Yes. Was aware of the variable aperture and I should have provided a bit more info.

I am mostly shooting landscapes so typically my camera is tripod mounted and rarely shoot wide aperture. On rare occasions I handhold if I am shooting a person or textures.

Thank you for taking time to reply.

Hugo

HL4x10BW

By the way You brought up another concern I have when you mentioned the "all mechanical" aspect.

I briefly tried an S 006 but quite frankly all the horror stories that I read in various forums about the autofocus motor/gear failures mAkes want to wait a bit before venturing towards the SL 24-90 if I were to go that way.

To be fair though I haven't really come across any mention of that occurring with the SL lenses so that concern may be misguided.

Cheers,

Hugo

jaree

Your concern is valid and I have first hand experience with S lens AF motor failures (my S 70/120/180 had this issue). Anyway I sold the S system to get away from that nightmare.

Picking up an "old" R lens like the 100 APO or 180 Elmarit APO is sheer joy, not to mention that there are no AF motors or electronics to worry about. Results are incomparable. The fact that I can use these on Sony FE, Leica M240, Canon, Leica SL, etc is very comforting from "future proofing" point of view.

During my visit to Bryce Canyon, I hiked for miles with just the R 28-90 on Sony A7ii. Covered everything I needed without the weight.

I also have the 21-35. Lovely colors, though "sharpness" compared to newer wides can be debated. R 80'Lux - got it used from B&H, sent to Leica for CLA. Came back sparkling. A beautiful work of art.

HL4x10BW

I would like to extend my sincere thanks to all that provided feedback. I went ahead and ordered the R 28-90 F2.8/4 today.

I will add this to my arsenal that includes the very nice 60 F2.8 macro (ROM) and the 35-70 F4 (ROM) smaller zoom. I plan to also use my M 35mm F2 asph (V2) and my M 75mm F2 Apo Asph when I want to carry a smaller kit.

Once the smoke stops coming out of my wallet :cry: I will start the search for the wonderful 100mm Apo macro and that will most certainly round out my kit.

Cheers and thanks again,

Hugo

HL4x10BW

I would like to extend my sincere thanks to all that provided feedback. I went ahead and ordered the R 28-90 F2.8/4 today.

Cheers and thanks again,

Hugo
Just wanted to report back that I haven't received the lens yet. I ordered it out of Canada to my home in the Southern US but its now tied up in an import tax nightmare with UPS. Have to say that the UPS folks are not efficient nor very cooperative in these matters but I intend to resolve it this coming week.

Anyway, I promised to come back and update so just wanted to let you know that I will still do that but no lens yet.

Hugo

Godfrey

I briefly tried an S 006 but quite frankly all the horror stories that I read in various forums about the autofocus motor/gear failures mAkes want to wait a bit before venturing towards the SL 24-90 if I were to go that way. ...
This is most likely a completely unwarranted worry. The SL24-90 has been on the market with the SL since it was released and there's probably a close to 1:1 pairing of sales numbers between the SL body and the SL24-90 lens. I have not heard of any focus motor issues with it yet and it's been about a year and a half; mine operates perfectly, every time. I suspect the AF servo design is completely different from that in the S system lenses.

I don't like adapted zoom lenses on the SL in general, too much fuss and bother, and the SL24-90 has proven it's worth time and time again. Sure, it's big and heavy, but I would not be surprised to see that it outperformed any of the comparable zooms from the R system. The more I use it and look at the image quality it produces, the smaller and lighter it seems. ;)

G

jaree

Just wanted to report back that I haven't received the lens yet. I ordered it out of Canada to my home in the Southern US but its now tied up in an import tax nightmare with UPS. Have to say that the UPS folks are not efficient nor very cooperative in these matters but I intend to resolve it this coming week.

Anyway, I promised to come back and update so just wanted to let you know that I will still do that but no lens yet.

Hugo
I had the same nightmare with UPS when I ordered a lens from Canada. I ordered from eBay seller Setadel, it was shipped via UPS and they (UPS) extorted about $150 in the name of customs and "handling" charges and I never got a detailed breakdown of those charges. Never had this issue with buying this stuff from HK and Japan. It seems the way UPS and FedEx process the shipment, you get hit with import tax and their fake customs handling charges whether or not it is required.

Update: BTW, this link below seems to imply that customs duty on used lenses should be Zero (check the table row for US towards the end). If it is true that the import duty for 2nd hand camera lenses in the USA is zero, then what are UPS and FedEx making up these charges for?

https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/248652/electronics-games/camera-photo/digital-camera-parts/import-duty-rate-for-importing-second-hand-camera-lens-from-united-states-to-united-kingdom-is-0/

scott kirkpatrick

I had the same nightmare with UPS when I ordered a lens from Canada. I ordered from eBay seller Setadel, it was shipped via UPS and they (UPS) extorted about $150 in the name of customs and "handling" charges and I never got a detailed breakdown of those charges. Never had this issue with buying this stuff from HK and Japan. It seems the way UPS and FedEx process the shipment, you get hit with import tax and their fake customs handling charges whether or not it is required.

Update: BTW, this link below seems to imply that customs duty on used lenses should be Zero (check the table row for US towards the end). If it is true that the import duty for 2nd hand camera lenses in the USA is zero, then what are UPS and FedEx making up these charges for?

https://www.dutycalculator.com/dc/248652/electronics-games/camera-photo/digital-camera-parts/import-duty-rate-for-importing-second-hand-camera-lens-from-united-states-to-united-kingdom-is-0/
I have purchased R lenses and Fuji camera gear from Canadian stores and had them sent to me in Houston TX. I never paid duty and handling, using USPS priority with full tracking. So I guess allowing the extra day or two was worth it. Incidentally, on this lens, I agree with Godfrey. If you want a zoom, get the 24-90 SL. It has fast AF, is a generation sharper in its imaging, and costs less.

But seriously, charging for duty when there is no duty sounds fraudulent to me. Can you go to the Better Business Bureau or some official service to have it checked out?

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Once the smoke stops coming out of my wallet I will start the search for the wonderful 100mm Apo macro and that will most certainly round out my kit.

Cheers and thanks again,

Hugo
If you have the Leica R to L adapter and the APO Macro-Elmarit 100 is ROM-enabled, you will be just a bit disappointed when it confesses that it is really only an APO Macro-Elmarit 99.

scott

magosak

I got burnt by FedEx/UPS brokerage fees a few times when I had shipments coming into Canada but I was not aware that they are equally bad for shipments received in the US. They are to be avoided at all cost. I always use USPS which has been less expensive and very reliable.

I have the Leica-R 28-90 as well as 21-35. I cannot recommend both of them highly enough. I especially like the 21-35 and used it on Leica M and several Sony cameras with excellent results.

HL4x10BW

I got burnt by FedEx/UPS brokerage fees a few times when I had shipments coming into Canada but I was not aware that they are equally bad for shipments received in the US.....

Well, I am a testament that it happens in the US as well. By the way, I had exactly the same issue as Jaree with the same vendor. I didnt ask for UPS but I think that due to the cost of the lens the vendor chose them. I have purchased from them before as well as from Japan and Korea and never had this issue.
I guess was just my turn.

Ok, now to keep this thread on course.

Thank you Godfrey for your assurance. I do intend to look at the longer SL zoom if I decide I need those lengths. Also, as you stated I havent found any complaints about AF issues with the SL but I wanted to check in here for feedback from experienced users before another potentially expensive mistake.

Thank you all for your comments.

Hugo

HL4x10BW

...But seriously, charging for duty when there is no duty sounds fraudulent to me. Can you go to the Better Business Bureau or some official service to have it checked out?

Scott,

I am definitely going to look into this. Something doesn't smell right here.
But for now, I will be happy to just get the lens and start using it.

Going to try to "focus" on the positive. (Yes, pun intended) :angel:

Cheers