The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The reports of Leica's death are greatly exaggerated

JeffSD

An interesting piece from Thom Hogan about Leica's financial position, based on its financial reports for the past five years.

When I get a chance I'll take a deeper dive into the Leica reports to see if I can find anything else of interest. But as much as some folk like to claim that Leica is a relic of the past clinging for life, that simply isn't true. It's a profitable, healthy, growing company, though of modest size.

Leica is Healthy, But There's a Surprise | Sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

Jay Emm

A good read - thanks for passing this on.

Thom is a quality "thinker" about the industry, so IMO this report is all the more useful given it came from him. He's been highly concerned about Nikon's product direction and financial statements for some time, so reading his analysis of Leica in that context is all the more interesting.

rollsman44

I think Leica needs to expand its coverage to wedding photographers as well. First they need to make a camera that will suit wedding photographers and to be more reasonable with their prices.
They have a select group of Leica fans which I feel is not enough to survive and to be more competitive with the likes of Sony, Nikon Canon. I have always felt that way. Just my .02
Dennis

2WK

I dunno about that. I'm pretty sure I could crush a wedding with an M and an SL. Reasonable pricing is another matter. They are luxury cameras though. I don't even think they are really competeing with Sony, Nikon, Canon...it's more like they are up against Gucci and Rolex. ;)

I think Leica needs to expand its coverage to wedding photographers as well. First they need to make a camera that will suit wedding photographers and to be more reasonable with their prices.
They have a select group of Leica fans which I feel is not enough to survive and to be more competitive with the likes of Sony, Nikon Canon. I have always felt that way. Just my .02
Dennis

rollsman44

I agree with the Rolex Part. When shooting weddings or any social events you need a camera with AF that responds quickly. My feeling over the years using several leica cameras has been the issue with MF vs AF. Also, the quality of the Lenses should NEVER go bad considering their cost. I see so many SL and S Lenses going bad. I think Leica glass is Superb but the reliability has gone down. The older Leica lenses never had any issues. I had the S 006 camera and lens and it decent lighting it kept searching and not focusing. I returned it and was disappointed.

2WK

^ Agreed on the reliability. Its a shame how they are building some newer lenses. $8000 lens with plastic gears inside? I would actually feel better if they just consulted for a company that can build reliable products for them. I know they do actually do this already but I mean I would wouldn't be so opposed to having Olympus build the guts for the S as long as it worked really well and you could rely on the damned thing.

I have have shot a ton of events professionally with an M240 and a Monochrom. You just need practice for quick range-finding. It can actually, and does work better (for me) than autofocus in a lot of situations. That being said, on a very dark dancefloor nothing really beats a canon or nikon with and IR focusing flash. It is wish of mine that ANY mirrorless manufacture figure out how to implement this feature. I don't understand how a 1990's Konica Hexar can have active IR focusing and todays newest tech can't figure it out. Sorry :OT:

Bernard

When shooting weddings or any social events you need a camera with AF that responds quickly.
I disagree with that. The best wedding shooters in my market do not use AF at all.

Shooting with AF is reactive, like a FPS video game. High-end wedding/event photography is the opposite of that: you need to methodically build your shots, even in fast-moving situations.

Shashin

I have lost more photographs with AF than without. Manual focus takes more skill, but it is not necessarily slower.

But I am sorry that Leica is dead...again.