The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens advice

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
I am thinking of trading in my Tri-Elemar 28-35-50 f4 for a Leica 35 1.4 I am looking for peoples thoughts on the performance of the 35. Thanks

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had one of those back in my film M days, and while it was excellent optically, I found the f4 a real limitation --- as in not much control over DoF for the type of photography I wanted to do with the M. I much preferred having those three focals as primes in my bag...

My .02 only,

jaapv

Subscriber Member
Some issues have been reported for the Summilux 35 asph on the M8. The Summicron 35 asph is an exceptional lens in its own right. If you do not absolutely want/need the extra stop I would suggest you play it safe and get the 2.0. Save some money towards other goodies too.

T

texasrancher

You might want to consider the last pre-aspheric 35mm Summicron in your decision process. After seeing the results at Jack & Guy's Yosemite workshop, I monitored eBay until a Version 4 in excellent condition came available. Only problem is now, it simply dominates its claim on being first on-last off on my M8. The bokeh is outstanding and I have discovered that the approx. 50mm effective focal length on the M8 is more comfortable for my shooting needs than I ever anticipated.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Agreed --- my personal favorite 35 is the ver IV Cron and my 50 of choice is the pre-asph Lux. However, both have some optical flaws that show at wider apertures which can render very pleasing results when properly exploited. By contrast, the current 50 Cron and 35 Cron Asph are stunning lenses in their own right, being about as close to optical perfection as you can get. My only complaint with them is they really have no flaws to exploit...

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I prefer the cron over the lux in the 35mm lens area. F2 wide open on any of the crons is sharp and great bokeh.

Wide open version IV

woodyspedden

I would not agree that the cron is the 35 to have. However I must admit that my copy does not have the focus shift with aperture reported here and on other forums. If I had these problems I may have a different outlook. But as is, I think the 35 Lux is the lens to own and i have a CV 35 1.4 on order to see how it holds up. I have the 1.2 Nokton and look forward to this new lens. The 35, for me is an ideal focal length so the more options the better Just MHO and YMMV

Woody

Terry

I would not agree that the cron is the 35 to have. However I must admit that my copy does not have the focus shift with aperture reported here and on other forums. If I had these problems I may have a different outlook. But as is, I think the 35 Lux is the lens to own and i have a CV 35 1.4 on order to see how it holds up. I have the 1.2 Nokton and look forward to this new lens. The 35, for me is an ideal focal length so the more options the better Just MHO and YMMV

Woody
Woody,
I have one on order as well. Waiting to see if they made any changes in the mount so the screw isn't right in the way of coding.

Did you order the single or multicoated version?

JWW

I have both the 35 asph lux and cron (both recent/6 bit) and like them both which causes a problem when trying to decide which to take and can't seem to sell either off. 35 lux focus shift is negligible in real life on my copy and good for night time or indoor photos but 35 asph cron is smaller (with hood) and I somehow like the bokeh better than with the lux. Of course, even though you didn't ask, there's the 28 asph cron which is a good lens.

Jan

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I stand with JWW on this topic.
I usually carry the chron (If I am in a 35mm frame of mind) but take the lux when I need the extra stop
-bob

Joseph Ramos

Workshop Member
The last to days have been my late Christmas. Yesterday I picked up my Epson 9880, and today I got my Leica 35 f2. Thanks everyone for the advice.

dseelig

Joseph If you are selling the tri-elmar I have a friend looking for one. But I would keep it. I would wait and see how the voigt 35 mm f 1.4. is David