The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash for Leica Q?

Has anyone found a fully functioning flash that works with the Leica Q besides the $425 Leica SF 26? I can't remember if the Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 will work or not.

Thanks,
Josh

D&A

Has anyone found a fully functioning flash that works with the Leica Q besides the $425 Leica SF 26? I can't remember if the Metz mecablitz 26 AF-2 will work or not.

Thanks,
Josh
Josh,

I don't believe any Metz flash (except those that accept a SCA module), works with Leica cameras like a Q, M, S etc. I sometimes see the larger SF40 flash for sale slightly used for less than $400 and it has all sorts of advantages over the SF-26 although larger.

If manual or Auto mode is sufficent, then of course there are a zillion flashes that would work well with the Q, especially those with the same pin arrangement designed for a Nikon DSLR.

Dave (D&A)

Yeah,
That's what I figured. It's just annoying that basically the same Metz flash won't work with the Q. So you have to pay an extra $250 approx. I'll just keep my eye open for a used one, not in a rush. If anyone finds another option, let me know.

rmatthews

The SF40 is a really great little flash. It is £279/$349 new in UK. If you talk to a web dealer you may be able to get the VAT (20%) excluded for shipping to US so £230/$290 plus shipping. If you don't like it there is a pretty ready market for used ones so cost of ownership is quite small. I highly recommend it over the SF-26 - still small, controls on flash rather than camera menu diving, more powerful and way more options.

jdphoto

I ordered the Leica SF 40 flash and noticed something familiar in the design, especially in the cheap battery door compartment. It's a Nissan i40. This is the exact same flash unit with a Leica logo and a $350 premium.

rmatthews

I ordered the Leica SF 40 flash and noticed something familiar in the design, especially in the cheap battery door compartment. It's a Nissan i40. This is the exact same flash unit with a Leica logo and a $350 premium.
I don't think it has ever been a secret that the sf40 is a rebadged Nissin i40 the same way that the sf26 is a rebadged Metz 26 af1. The difference is that the Leica versions work TTL on Leicas and the other versions don't. If TTL isn't important to you then the Nissin or Metz versions will be fine (as would the Fuji mentioned below which is a great and tiny flash). However if TTL is important you need to pay the Leica premium although the $350 premium seems excessive as that is the full cost you can get them for at least in the UK.

jdphoto

I don't think it has ever been a secret that the sf40 is a rebadged Nissin i40 the same way that the sf26 is a rebadged Metz 26 af1. The difference is that the Leica versions work TTL on Leicas and the other versions don't. If TTL isn't important to you then the Nissin or Metz versions will be fine (as would the Fuji mentioned below which is a great and tiny flash). However if TTL is important you need to pay the Leica premium although the $350 premium seems excessive as that is the full cost you can get them for at least in the UK.
I never used TTL, but thought it might be handy for quick set ups at weddings, etc. I ordered the Nissan i40 for another camera for its HSS, but right out of the box I noticed how cheap it felt, especially the battery door hinge. I was annoyed paying $199 for it, then the SF40 was delivered and it was the same cheap flash. Needless to say, i didn't keep either. Manual has more control for me , so perhaps I should've just looked for manual in the first place.

Thanks for the info and replies everyone. I'm holding off for now, have just bought too much stuff recently with my X1D and GH5 purchases... Will pull the trigger probably once I've sold some stuff.