The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica 30-90mm Vario-Elmar-S Review

OAPhotos

Very good article and fine images, thank you:)

I too am using the 30-90 thanks to its flexibility even if the quality may not be as good as the other primes I have.

rickgrainger

Thank you Vieri! It was an excellent read.

I really wish that Leica could make a CS version of this lens. I know it would be pretty heavy, but it would be perfect for weddings with off camera flash.

Have a fantastic day!

Rick

msadat

have u tried any hassi lenses H on the s., i do have both of ther leica 30 90 and the hassi equivalent and hope to be able to test them side by side just on the optics alone

erlingmm

Just did an informal test of my S 30-90 Zoom, handheld at my local brick walls

DNGs uploaded to:
https://www.dropbox....xhgBpswlha?dl=0

2 sequences of 5 shots, taken at max aperture at 30, 45, 60, 75 and 90 mm

Auto Tone for synchronised exposure

I think this is quite good, even at 90mm despite some softness in the corners (not sharpened), a low res example at 90 mm here:

L3002238.jpg

tjv

GOod review. Despite the X1D release, a small part of me still wants an S camera. Does anyone know if Leica are planning on updating this zoom to better specs? Any rumours of an "008" camera?

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
GOod review. Despite the X1D release, a small part of me still wants an S camera. Does anyone know if Leica are planning on updating this zoom to better specs? Any rumours of an "008" camera?
The usual "those who know won't tell and those who tell don't know." But while Leica has released 3 or 4 S bodies, they have not, to my knowledge, updated any of the S lenses optically. So I'd say an 008 is more likely than an updated zoom, but I really have no idea.

--Matt

RMR

Great review. One doesn't always need curves and plots. It's the results that matter most. Bob