The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica Modifies/Ends Free Sensor Replacement Program for M9/M9P/ME/MM Bodies

iiiNelson

Mine will be shipped to them tomorrow.

I want to record that their customer service over the phone was very nice (complimentaryry on the Deutsch as well!) and helpful! :) :thumbs:
I read on a Facebook group that someone from Switzerland sent and had their M9 fixed and returned inside of a week or so. This is good thing.

The troubling this is that I owned both a M9 and M9-P which both ended up having the sensors replaced before I dumped them. My M9 sensor was replaced after about a little over 7,000 shots. It only took 864 for my M9-P needing a sensor replacement. I like using rangefinders but Leica costs entirely too much to have upwards of $30,000 of unreliable camera gear for my blood between bodies and lenses.

It's a shame that people are siding with the company over the customers. I certainly hope they don't have to endure poor service, crooked business practices that don't stand behind the product, and if they do I hope they have enough integrity and compassion to apologize to those unfairly affected by Leica's decision.

V

Vivek

6-8 weeks is the estimate, Tre. I don't mind that. I hope it goes without much problem.

It is only a handful of self appointed and misguided defenders of the company that do more damage to the company.

V

Vivek

The camera was in and Leica responded saying that they will fix it (sensor) free of cost. They have suggested an additional €150/-(plus taxes) cleaning/service. They also offered some sort of a la carte leather paraphernalia for a reduced cost (no details)

Anyone knows what that (leather stuff) is and is it worth it?

Robert Campbell

The camera was in and Leica responded saying that they will fix it (sensor) free of cost. They have suggested an additional €150/-(plus taxes) cleaning/service. They also offered some sort of a la carte leather paraphernalia for a reduced cost (no details)

Anyone knows what that (leather stuff) is and is it worth it?
I don't know what the leather stuff might be; here's a guess. The a la carte service gives you a different body covering in fancy colours — so you can stand out in a crowd if you want to. (I don't.)

V

Vivek

Thanks, Robert! :)

As is, the iconic shape of a Leica M stands out ( i still do not). There is no need to make it worse.

bensonga

I don't know what the leather stuff might be; here's a guess. The a la carte service gives you a different body covering in fancy colours — so you can stand out in a crowd if you want to. (I don't.)
Leica has to remove the body cover from the camera to replace the sensor. They are offering a discounted price on a replacement leather body cover (of any color....including discrete black), otherwise you get whatever the equivalent in the synthetic body cover is appropriate for the M9, M9P, MM or ME they are servicing.

I opted to get the black leather replacement myself. It looks and feels very good. Still very discrete. :cool:

Gary

V

Vivek

Thanks for the explanation, Gary. :)

Given the fact that the MM is a plastic camera with a thin metal shell, I think it is appropriate that it has a plastic covering.

As long as the sensor does not self destruct, the clothing does not matter, to me.

richardman

My M9's sensor looks good (knock on wood). If they ever produce an M10-Monochrom and offer an upgrade price (ha ha), I may take that up. I shot a project with the M9 and M7 loaded with 1600 film. The M7 definitely has an edge due to its more quiet and slightly smaller size (I have small hands)