Site Sponsors

Thread: Thoughts on Leica Q

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts on Leica Q

I've had quite a bit of fun shooting with the Q and as much as I love the rangefinder experience, I think Leica found its groove in this concept. It has the fastest AF of any camera i've ever used. The best EVF i've used, and its blazing 10 fps is more than enough for my style. It's also the sexiest looking camera when dressed up in its Arte Dimano black half case. I think that if Leica made a weather resistant Q with a line of different FL's up to 90mm, or better yet an interchangeable lens camera and a line of Q lenses, this would be amazing and (Q)uite versatile . (there's my marketing slogan 2017jld) There are many times when I needed a longer FL then 28mm too. There's those that will always want the rangefinder experience, so this would not compete with an M10. Leica found some magic with the Q, yes, it's expensive, but a better price point then the M or S series The bonding experience with a camera really motivates one's creativity and Leica, imo, has done that with the Q.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Thoughts on Leica Q

Q is close to a perfect 28mm / 75 FOV compact camera and shooting with it is a pleasure. Although, there have been a lot of improvements expected by users since July 2016 FW 2.0, and not a single one has been offered by Leica yet.

Noteworthy, the Q's lens has the fastest to date (?) leaf shutter speed of 1/2000s at f/1.7. Has anyone tried to measure how long it takes for Q's shutter to close?
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love the Q as well, my only gripe is the price of entry. Price aside, it is designed well, made for photography for photographers. Controls are straight forward, you can go from full auto to manual without an agonizing menu scroll. AF to manual focus? Just engage the lock and focus away and go back to AF just as easily. The macro feature is a brilliant design, incorporating an expanded focusing scale and I assume revised lens element configuration. It produces great macro shots, all in one small camera. Some people complained about the lens stopping down to f2.8 in macro mode but I have not found it intrusive.

I would welcome an addition to the family, Q 50 with a Summicron. Have an optional add on lens to convert to wide (35) and electronic crops 75, 90. Adding a Q 35 would be too close to the current offering and a Q 90 would be too specialized.
    Al Tanabe
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Also very happy with my Q. So enjoyable, great IQ. If I had that 50 Q mentioned by *atanabe* to pair up with the 28, I believe I'd be done for a long time. Please, Leica?
    --Mike

My Flickr

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Q is my always out on the mantle daily shooter. 28 with the ability to crop is great. Smoking fast auto focus, and exceptional ergonomics. Sure there is a red dot tax, but it has replaced my Fuji system as the go-to camera of record. Studio, no, lacrosse, no. Pretty much every thing else yes.

YMMV

Dave