The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

7 Artisans 50/1.1

Red735i

I received my lens 2 days ago. I wanted to describe the actual lens for the benefit of the readers...
The lens came by DHL in abut a week after ordering through Amazon US. There was no duty collected. The lens is 6 bit coded as the F1.0 Noctilux. No lens hood was included. Fit and finish look excellent. There are included instructions to calibrate the lens and the rangefinder to your camera. (You loosen screws, rotate the focusing helix, tighten the screws.) This is required only for use on M cameras. Lens appears to be coated. The rotational distance to go from Infinity to .7 meters is less than 90 degrees. I would have preferred more for a lens with very thin DOF. have not shot the lens yet, so no comments on image quality.

D&A

Thank yourl Frank for your prelimary observations. I very much look forward to your thoughts regarding optical performance and various parameters associated with optical properties as compared to other 50mm lenses you have on hand....especially wide open perfoemance.

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

I echo what Dave said and look forward to your test images, Frank. I also would like to see how it behaves stopped down since they claimed it is a Sonnar design.

Robert Campbell

I echo what Dave said and look forward to your test images, Frank. I also would like to see how it behaves stopped down since they claimed it is a Sonnar design.
Why? What is the point of having an f/1.1 lens and using it at f/11?

I have never understood this.

V

Vivek

You probably do not understand how a Sonnar behaves then. You can have buttery smooth boket even when you stop down by a few. I am not talking about f11 but f/4-5.6 range.

Why? What is the point of having an f/1.1 lens and using it at f/11?

I have never understood this.

Robert Campbell

You probably do not understand how a Sonnar behaves then. You can have buttery smooth bokeh even when you stop down by a few. I am not talking about f11 but f/4-5.6 range.
I'm sure you're correct, Vivek. If I was presented with two identical images in which all the parameters were identical save for the type of lens used, I might be able to see a difference, but I couldn't tell which types of lenses had been used.

But, if I wanted to get the bokeh from a Sonnar lens at f/5.6, why not get a f/2 lens (I'm assuming that such a lens is available). Is there a difference between an f/1.1 and f/2 when equally stopped down?

To me, getting an f/1.1 lens and using it at f/5.6 seems similar to buying a car to do local shopping — but getting a Ferrari.

What am I missing?

V

Vivek

Robert, If f/1.1 needed, then the faster lens comes in handy. If the whole face and not just one eye brow needs to be in focus then one needs to stop down. In that event if the back ground looks then a Sonnar comes in handy.

Hope that clears it up. :)

Robert Campbell

Robert, If f/1.1 needed, then the faster lens comes in handy. If the whole face and not just one eye brow needs to be in focus then one needs to stop down. In that event if the back ground looks then a Sonnar comes in handy.

Hope that clears it up. :)
Vivek, I'm not being argumentative (much!). I remember the good old days, when Kodachrome was ASA 10 and SLR viewfinders were very dim — hence the need for very wide aperture lenses.

I don't disagree with the eyebrow in focus theory, though I thought the point of focus should be on the bridge of the nose, so that the eyes, the portal to the soul, were just so slightly defocussed — important in female portraiture, to retain the eternal mystery that is woman.

And, were I to win the Euromillions, I might well go for a Thambar to replicate this, even if I don't really do portraiture. Meanwhile, I fear a GAS attack to be imminent; I see I can get this lens off ebay for around £280-290, at which price it is really a 'steal'.

(;))

V

Vivek

I am rooting for you to win (the euro millions), Robert. If I beat you to it, I will get you a Thambar. :)

V

Vivek

Somehow, ended up buying one! :eek:

Once i get the MM back from Leica and when I receive this lens, I will check it out.

V

Vivek

From the leaked Pics, it looks like a copy of the Minolta/Sony STF/ Fuji APD/Laowa STF lens (the red aperture markings are a hint). No relation (other than the name) to the original Thambar.

No news on the Euromillions either!

Rumours of a 'new' Thambar are increasing.

I've not yet won the Euromillions; but, Vivek, have you? ;)

D&A

I believe the new Thambar has now been officially announced by Leica just a short time ago. Time to win the lottery!

Dave (D&A)

V

Vivek

From the leaked Pics, it looks like a copy of the Minolta/Sony STF/ Fuji APD/Laowa STF lens (the red aperture markings are a hint). No relation (other than the name) to the original Thambar.
From the official specs, I was wrong. It is the same Thambar design with a reflective filter and all.

20X the price of a 7Artisans 50/1.1? One needs an Instagram acct, first.