The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just bought myself a brand new Leica X2

A real oldie by now; why buy such a leftover today? Well, my friendly Leica dealer showed me one he had still left. As it happens, I had just given up on my old, beaten X1 that had lots of scars, and was of course glacially slow, but still that special image quality. I decided to give that lovely all-black X2 a chance.

And now, I just can´t seem to let it out of my hands. A REAL camera, with real controls, feels like a classic Leica, and is just fast enough to actually use in a leisurely manner. I can´t say the IQ has improved from the X1, but that is good enough for me. And most of those little quirks the X1 had seem to be all but ironed out. If I still feel like this about it for a month or so, I´ve finally found my convenient "take-everywhere-camera" (I thought I had when I got my Ricoh GR, but 28 mm is TOO wide for me, its controls are well thought-out but don´t give that good old camera feeling, and the colours just aren´t Leica class, period).

Two of my very first pictures with the X2:

gnuyork

I love the X1 and just picked up a mint used X2 for a unbelievably good price from somebody I know that hardly used it (also the same person I bought the X1 from as a very good price). I took two photos with it so far, but I have not even looked at them yet. I have given the X2 to my wife to use, but I will use it now and then I suppose.

I did notice the X2 feels a little more substantial than the X1, a bit more heft but not sure if that's due to the different finish. My X1 is the black model, this X2 is the chrome. Another thing I noticed is that the shutter and aperture dial are a bit more stiff, making it more difficult to adjust on the fly with the tips of my fingers. The X1 (and my M6) are ideal in that regard. I do like the X2 case better than the X1 case. Both are great, but the X2 case looks a little more sleek and the leather more supple, feeling more luxurious. And is it just me, but it seems like autofocus is just a bit snappier too...

All in all, I think I will be happy with it, especially at the deal I got it for. Hard to go wrong.

Enjoy yours.

I love the X1 and just picked up a mint used X2 for a unbelievably good price from somebody I know that hardly used it (also the same person I bought the X1 from as a very good price). I took two photos with it so far, but I have not even looked at them yet. I have given the X2 to my wife to use, but I will use it now and then I suppose.

I did notice the X2 feels a little more substantial than the X1, a bit more heft but not sure if that's due to the different finish. My X1 is the black model, this X2 is the chrome. Another thing I noticed is that the shutter and aperture dial are a bit more stiff, making it more difficult to adjust on the fly with the tips of my fingers. The X1 (and my M6) are ideal in that regard. I do like the X2 case better than the X1 case. Both are great, but the X2 case looks a little more sleek and the leather more supple, feeling more luxurious. And is it just me, but it seems like autofocus is just a bit snappier too...
Yes, it feels more "solid", and "Leicalike". The stiffness in the dials is a big improvement, in my world: taking the X1 out of a pocket always changed the settings, while the X2 stays put. Battery time is far, far better, and the AF has gone from ridiculously slow to acceptable.

All in all, I think I will be happy with it, especially at the deal I got it for. Hard to go wrong.

Enjoy yours.
Thank you! And, the same to you! Do show your images here when you´re ready!

DwF

Enjoy your X2! I like the colors you got here. These are great cameras. I had X1 but currently X 113.

David

Paratom

enjoy! The x2 is one of my "oldest" digital cameras-many cameras were bought and sold. But the x2 stays because it is still one of the few compact cameras with a large sensor and a nice lens and a good user interface.
Q, X113 etc might have faster lenses but are not compact cameras any more.

Thank you all! Like this camera more and more; almost stopped using the M9...

A convenient and competent party camera

...and quite good at modest closeups, with lovely colour