The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M10 ordered in early Feb just came in...do I still want it?

richardman

You are a Pro, you make money with your equipment. So if you think you can recover the cost in a reasonable time, then why not? I can tell you that for a project recently where I was using both the M9 and the M7 (I need to be extremely quiet photographing in a hospital) - literally hanging both cameras on my neck at times, the M7's size is definitely a plus, in addition to the quietness.

So I would welcome an M10, but for me, no $$$, so there's that.

Well, it’s been a proven fact that M10 is better at high iso. The slimmer size and lighter weight are also a bonus, as is the simplified menu system and removal of film fluff. And the iso-wheel & improved VF make life easier. Should you have need for evf, the M10 reigns supreme with visoflex 020 over the old evf of M240.

Even from a hobbyist point of view, the upgrade was significant. If as a pro you can reasonably justify the cost, go for it. You won’t be dissapointed.

daf

The m10 sensor is so much better, even at base iso...
But from a rational point of view, upgrade should only be done to solve a problem....
So you should ask yourself how often do you fight with the limits of the m240, and see how the m10 solve this ;)

Godfrey

I had an M-P typ 240. If it were a choice between my M-P and the M10, I'd buy the M10 for its sensor superiority as well as the fact that it is slimmer, more comfortable in my hands, has a simpler/more rational menu system, and (most importantly) the superior viewfinder. No question.

But by the time the M10 came out, I'd transitioned to the M-D typ 262. All the same superiorities of the M10 are there, but I just like the ergonomics and use of the M-D more. So after comparing them side by side, I found I preferred the M-D.

With such marvelous advice, I wish you "Good luck!" in making your decision! Only you can make it... :toocool:

G

daf

;)
I'm in the same boat ... i have an Md for more than a year and really love it!
I tried a couple of times the m10, i've played with the files in c1 and definitly the m10 sensor is so much better than the previous version .... but i can't let theD MD go ... and cannot afford to have both so i just keep working with the MD ;)

airfrogusmc

I have an M 262 and an received my M 10 a little over 2 moths ago. It is more than 2 stops better in low light than my M 262. It is also more responsive.

Here were two test shots that I did the night after it arrived.
Both of these are at 20,000 ISO.

airfrogusmc

I ordered an M10 on Feb 5th and after about 3 months of waiting, I cooled off on it, especially with the ISO dial stuff. So I got the call today that it is in and I have until end of business tomorrow to claim it.
What ISO dial stuff? I really like the ISO dial. Being able to just look down and see what ISO is set as well as being able to see aperture and shutter speed at just a quick glance down without having to go to the LCD t see ISO I think is a real plus.

Have you had a chance to do any shooting with it yet? If so are you still conflicted? I would recommend the Leica stock half leather case also. It is really nice.

What ISO dial stuff? I really like the ISO dial. Being able to just look down and see what ISO is set as well as being able to see aperture and shutter speed at just a quick glance down without having to go to the LCD t see ISO I think is a real plus.
I have this problem on my M10, ISO dial stopped working after 2 weeks. I heard the same from some friends. Only work around is using the menu for ISO.

Would be nice to hear from Leica, wether they fixed this problem in the meantime (or is it Leica S AF-failure all over again?)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not had any issues with the ISO dial on my M10 other than the thing is so tough to raise. I wonder if that has been part of the reason people have been having failures due to the amount of manhandling required?

I was lucky enough to get mine pretty early on in the production run and was hoping the iSO dial might loosen up over the last six months but not so far ...

scott kirkpatrick

Not had any issues with the ISO dial on my M10 other than the thing is so tough to raise. I wonder if that has been part of the reason people have been having failures due to the amount of manhandling required?

I was lucky enough to get mine pretty early on in the production run and was hoping the iSO dial might loosen up over the last six months but not so far ...
Chris Tribble on the LUF has been shooting heavily with two early sale M10's and sees no problem. I also have an early one, don't use it nearly as much, and it has gone back for repair. Jono Slack has shot an M10 early and often, with no ISO wheel problems. I think the odds are in your favor but I was unlucky.

Chris C

I still have my M240 that I am about to list for sale, I should do a decibel test on the two.
My M10 seems no quieter than my M8 –– different, more metallic, but not noticeably quieter. [Not decibel tested!].

In the hand the dimensions, and weight of each are really indistinguishable.

Surprised?

............. Chris

airfrogusmc

My M10 seems no quieter than my M8 –– different, more metallic, but not noticeably quieter. [Not decibel tested!].

In the hand the dimensions, and weight of each are really indistinguishable.

Surprised?

............. Chris
My M 262 is a lot quieter than both my MM and my M-E and my M 10 is quitter than my M 262. Maybe you have an issue?

D&A

What's interesting is on the Hasselblad X1D, there is a recessed button on the top plate of that camera whereby with a slight, light downward press, it pops up. Then with a light press in the downward direction, it clicks closed. I would have thought Leica could have easily implemented the same thing for the ISO dial. With eye looking into the M10 viewfinder, ones left index finger could lightly press the ISO dial and it could pop up. Then simply rotate it and when done, press lightly downwards to lock into place...all without having to remove ones eye from the viewfinder.

The X1D implemented this pop up dial perfectly and Leica could take a cue from its design for an ISO dial. I don't recall what its function was on the X1D but once you have an opportunity to see how this X1D dial works, I think most would be convienced how elegant a solution it could be for future M10 ISO dial.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
No complaints about the iso-wheel from my side either. I was sceptic about it when I bought the camera, but after using it for a while I’ve grown to like it a lot.

It’s cured me of my ”evil auto iso ways” :lecture:

Godfrey

What's interesting is on the Hasselblad X1D, there is a recessed button on the top plate of that camera whereby with a slight, light downward press, it pops up. Then with a light press in the downward direction, it clicks closed. I would have thought Leica could have easily implemented the same thing for the ISO dial. With eye looking into the M10 viewfinder, ones left index finger could lightly press the ISO dial and it could pop up. Then simply rotate it and when done, press lightly downwards to lock into place...all without having to remove ones eye from the viewfinder.

The X1D implemented this pop up dial perfectly and Leica could take a cue from its design for an ISO dial. I don't recall what its function was on the X1D but once you have an opportunity to see how this X1D dial works, I think most would be convienced how elegant a solution it could be for future M10 ISO dial.

Dave (D&A)
The X1D control handles the exposure modes (M, A, P, S, etc). These are things I love having a lockable knob for, since I change them so infrequently, where with ISO (like EV Comp) I prefer a direct control that simply stays put when I am not intending to change it.

I don't have any real experience using the M10 ISO selector, but it seemed a little awkward to me when I handled and compared it to my M-D early last Spring. The M-D's ISO selector is perfect ... just click to your preferred setting by pushing the dial with your thumbs, and you can count clicks and do it even without looking at it ... but is incompatible with an LCD display on the back of the camera. It never moves when not intended to either.

G