The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M10 usability revelation day ...

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
So, almost a bizarre situation but after intermittent use of the M10's almost solidly resistant ISO dial on my M10 it rather surprisingly became a lot easier to unlock and lift up. Did anyone else have their M10 go from an almost concrete locked ISO dial suddenly after months of use loosen up? It's not loose btw, just a LOT less tough to lift up/lock. I swear that it was so solid that it was impossible to lift without danger of losing finger nails or needing two fingers with finger/thumb lock to lift. For me it became almost an epiphany in terms of use of this control now when it loosened up to just being tight, but now requiring only two finger tips to pull up vs what felt like thumb/finger hard pull.

Anyone else go through this transition?

M10 - even happier today than I was almost already in complete love/lust with it. :thumbs:

D&A

So, almost a bizarre situation but after intermittent use of the M10's almost solidly resistant ISO dial on my M10 it rather surprisingly became a lot easier to unlock and lift up. Did anyone else have their M10 go from an almost concrete locked ISO dial suddenly after months of use loosen up? It's not loose btw, just a LOT less tough to lift up/lock. I swear that it was so solid that it was impossible to lift without danger of losing finger nails or needing two fingers with finger/thumb lock to lift. For me it became almost an epiphany in terms of use of this control now when it loosened up to just being tight, but now requiring only two finger tips to pull up vs what felt like thumb/finger hard pull.

Anyone else go through this transition?

M10 - even happier today than I was almost already in complete love/lust with it. :thumbs:
Graham, I don't know if that's should be cause for celebration or something is ready to let loose (the adhesive they use?). I do hope its the former and that its the way the ISO dial was intended to be when lifting up. That was one of the few disappointments I had with the M10...how difficult it was to lift the ISO dial while eye was focusing via the viewfinder and I struggled somewhat to lift the ISO dial at the same time and had to interrupt my focusing the camera. I had read somewhere that one or two users felt their ISO dial becoming easier to lift over time but not to the degree you described. Please keep up posted on this latest development and any further changes to that dial.

Who knew an ISO dial could bring such happiness :).

Dave (D&A)

airfrogusmc

My dial was not all that stiff to begin with. I have over 30K through it and the dial isn't noticeably different than when it was new though I am not constantly changing ISO.

GrahamWelland

TBH I’ve somewhat transitioned to putting the dial on M and using the menu these days. It wasn’t a problem working that way in the past or with all of my other cameras so I think that I can live with it again now.

it looks cool though I guess :p

airfrogusmc

TBH I’ve somewhat transitioned to putting the dial on M and using the menu these days. It wasn’t a problem working that way in the past or with all of my other cameras so I think that I can live with it again now.

it looks cool though I guess :p
Graham,

Sorta defeats the purpose don't ya think? I usually keep 12,500 in the M setting and use the dial. Really nice to look down and see all the info at a glance without having to go into the menu.

GrahamWelland

Well, the thing is I didn’t buy the M10 for the ISO dial but instead for the quality and normal M digital handling. :thumbs:

Ditto with my Nikon Df which I essentially set up like a regular Nikon DSLR and don’t use most of the funky irritating retro stuff; I just use it for the great sensor and ability to use any Nikon mount lens.

airfrogusmc

I bought mine for the entire package and for me and the way I work the ISO dial is just one more thing that separates it's usability for most of the other cameras out there.

Shashin

I find lifting my beer with only my finger tips is great training for manipulating camera controls. And with image stabilization technology, there seems to be no downside...

V

Vivek

I find lifting my beer with only my finger tips is great training for manipulating camera controls. And with image stabilization technology, there seems to be no downside...
:ROTFL:

Sorry, Graham.

I really can not relate to your experience and can not help :ROTFL: at Will’s (and D&A’s as well) post. :)

GrahamWelland

:ROTFL: I’ve found that having a low center of gravity and high concentration of mass helps with the image stabilization. I knew that it had to be useful for something other than my earlier life high-impact sports career.