The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shift lenses for Leica M (240)

usm

Hi!
I have the Leica PC-Super-Angulon-R 2,8/28mm, the lens is good but my 35mm Summicron is much more better in micro contrast, like structures of wood or gras for example. Also there is always some distortion when shifted up to 9mm or more.

Now I found a Contax 35mm F/2.8 PC Distagon T* on eBay. There are not much of performance examples on the net. So I'm asking here for some experiences with this lens, maybe with a Leica M?

Thanks everybody.

daf

I had one, sold it to finance a new lens and regret it now .. ;)
It is a good lens, the best 35mm shift lens! sharp with good microcontraste, it need from f8-f11 when fully shifted to get good corner. Mine was sharper than my 24tseII
It only suffer little CA easily removable, and a little barrel distorsion also easy to correct when needed.
Try to get one with the filter/hood ring..

daf

Did you use it on a Leica M?
No, only on the sony a7r (which is more demanding than the m240)
Never tried any t/s option on my leica ... in fact, when i'm shooting architecture with my leica, i rely on my superelmar+summicron and C1 keystone.
For info, capture as load a lot of new leica lens profil in the last version...

daf

Why? Or what do you mean?

There is more pixel (36mp), and the microlenses are not (symmetrical) wide angle friendly ... for exemple all wide leica lenses are much better on the leica than the sony ... so, if a wide is working ok on the sony we can expect it to work much better on the leica.
The 35 pc distagon is not a symmetrical lens, that why it is performing well on the sony, and so it should be very good on the leica, but of course this needs to be confirmed !
In any case, if it is not working well, you'll probably be able to sell it the same price as you bought it.

Geoff

Had the 35 Contax some years back -don’t recall too much ‘cept that is was very good, t, there really was little difference, except the it seemed a bit too big and didn’t do enough. But it has a very good reputation.

The PC 28 varies a lot by example. Get a good one. I was looking for T/S for an MM and tried one out. Without live view, it’s focus by guessing but didn’t mind that.

Did a comparison of the 28PC against SEM 21, and found on a 17”wide print, there was very little diffference between the two in the final image (fully shifted 28,cropped 21 to match), except the 28PC had slightly lower contrast. Really no difference. For larger prints the resolution shortcoming of the cropped image from the 21 would be a factor.

I kept the test prints for years to stop revisiting the idea of the 28, and instead got the very good 21. 20 years of advances in lens design (with the 21) largely overcame the shift advantages of the PC lens.

usm

The PC 28 varies a lot by example. Get a good one.

Did a comparison of the 28PC against SEM 21, and found on a 17”wide print, there was very little diffference between the two in the final image (fully shifted 28,cropped 21 to match), except the 28PC had slightly lower contrast. Really no difference. For larger prints the resolution shortcoming of the cropped image from the 21 would be a factor.

I kept the test prints for years to stop revisiting the idea of the 28, and instead got the very good 21..
How can I know if it is a good one? I compared it to my 35mm Summicron asph and both had strong CA in the corners.
I also use the 21 SEM, actually mostly for indoor.
I like the shifting process as a tool for composing the image.

To you still have your test files? Maybe you can send them to me for comparison?

Greetings.

KeithL

I wish there were decent options for TILT lenses to be used with the M240/M10. The Arsat/Arax/Photex lenses seem to be lacking in quality and the Schneider lenses are huge and very expensive.

Any other TILT options?

HL4x10BW

I wish there were decent options for TILT lenses to be used with the M240/M10.....

Any other TILT options?
What about just using a small linear shifting platform on your tripod. There are several options available at different price points at RRS and on Ebay.

This way tou could use whatever lens you want. Plus I would guess that the platform would occupy the same or less space in your bag.

Hugo

HL4x10BW

This way tou could use whatever lens you want. Plus I would guess that the platform would occupy the same or less space in your bag.

Sorry, just realized that you said “Tilt” and not “Shift”. My suggestion would obviously only work if you just wanted to shift.

Hugo

daf

I wish there were decent options for TILT lenses to be used with the M240/M10. The Arsat/Arax/Photex lenses seem to be lacking in quality and the Schneider lenses are huge and very expensive.

Any other TILT options?
You can use all canon ts lenses(17/24/45/90), leica ts, some Nikon ts, the contax35pc, the old olympus 24 and 35mm, and there is a samyang ... but not sure it make sens, might be better fittied on a sony a7.

And i read somewhere about a rumored kipon/iberit 18mm for leica M, but this was long ago...

KeithL

You can use all canon ts lenses(17/24/45/90), leica ts, some Nikon ts, the contax35pc, the old olympus 24 and 35mm, and there is a samyang ... but not sure it make sens, might be better fittied on a sony a7.

And i read somewhere about a rumored kipon/iberit 18mm for leica M, but this was long ago...
I don't think the Canon, Nikon and Samyang TS lenses have aperture rings and I don't want to have to pre-set with another camera. Are you sure the other lenses you mention are TILT lenses?

usm

This way tou could use whatever lens you want.
Sorry, just realized that you said “Tilt” and not “Shift”. My suggestion would obviously only work if you just wanted to shift.

Hugo
Actually the thread is about shifting but any way what did you mean with “several options at RRS”?

I was checking the Mini Cambo and Arca universalis option but I need a good 28mm or at least 35mm lens with a large image circle for that. But the Rosenstock and Schneider lenses are not useable because of their Flange to lens end distance. Except the old Schneider 28mm L (not the new XL), but this lens seems to be not very good. There is also the Schneider 28mm 4.5 TS lens who’s based on same construction as the Schneider 28mm L Lens. I would give this lens a try if will found one.

Still looking for a Zeiss 35mm pc ...

pegelli

I don't think the Canon, Nikon and Samyang TS lenses have aperture rings and I don't want to have to pre-set with another camera. Are you sure the other lenses you mention are TILT lenses?
Both the Nikon and Samyang 24 T/S have aperture rings. It's only the Canon's that you need to preset on a Canon body.

V

Vivek

All lenses have an aperture ring. Only Samyang’s is operable manually. For Canon and Nikon one needs their own bodies to change the apertures.

(Nikon went Canon way with their E lenses. There is zero difference between them now. One less thing for the Nikonistas is feel special.)

Both the Nikon and Samyang 24 T/S have aperture rings. It's only the Canon's that you need to preset on a Canon body.

pegelli

All lenses have an aperture ring. Only Samyang’s is operable manually. For Canon and Nikon one needs their own bodies to change the apertures.

(Nikon went Canon way with their E lenses. There is zero difference between them now. One less thing for the Nikonistas is feel special.)
Thanks Vivek, I read up on the Nikon and despite having an aperture ring it indeed only controls the electronic aperture via the camera :loco:. So it operates the same as the Canon 24 TS, but that one doesn't have an aperture ring at all and aperture can only be set with the dials on a Canon body.

Only advantage of the Nikon is that (as long as you don't turn the aperture ring) you have a visible memory of which aperture it was at when taken off the camera body.

KeithL

Thanks peoples.

So the Samyang is the only TILT lens with an aperture ring that can be set manually. I was hoping for a longer focal length, preferably around 50mm.

Picky, aren't I?

:eek:

daf

Thanks peoples.

So the Samyang is the only TILT lens with an aperture ring that can be set manually. I was hoping for a longer focal length, preferably around 50mm.

Picky, aren't I?

:eek:
Allright... so you can pick up any 6x45/6x6/6x7, 45/50/55mm and add a mirex/kipon Tilt shift adaptater to eos, then an eos to m adptater...too big then instead of FF+mdflenses you can go with apsc+FF lenses.
For exemple a sigma 35 art in nikon mount+a novoflex aperture(yes you can) adapter to eos+an hcam master(tiltshift) and a sony 24mp or even a leica tl2 and you're done :)

daf

To usm :
The old 28 pc schneider has a very bad mustache distorsion ... very difficult ro correct without a good profil... not a good option if you plan any architecture shot. But might be ok for landscape