The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shift lenses for Leica M (240)

KeithL

allright... So you can pick up any 6x45/6x6/6x7, 45/50/55mm and add a mirex/kipon tilt shift adaptater to eos, then an eos to m adptater...too big then instead of ff+mdflenses you can go with apsc+ff lenses.
For exemple a sigma 35 art in nikon mount+a novoflex aperture(yes you can) adapter to eos+an hcam master(tiltshift) and a sony 24mp or even a leica tl2 and you're done :)
:rotfl:

Geoff

Below are the two shots with a MM, one with a 28PC lens shifted to the max (diagonal to the upper right) and the other with the 21 SEM, both at f11, ISO 320. Apart from resolution, there is only a wee bit to tell them apart.

The overall image size of a 21 cropped to match the 28? The 28 is 3468 x 5212, and the 21 cropped to match is

Here is the 28PC, full image (3468 x 5212):
28 pc f11 iso 320 sml.jpg

then the 21 cropped to match (2554 x 3862):
21 crp to 28PC sml.jpg

Then an upper corner 100% crop of the 21 and 28. First the 28:
28PC 100% crop.jpg
and the 21. With less resolution the 21 is a bit smaller at 100%. The 21 is a later lens and is a tad sharper (see far right side bricks).
21 100% crop.jpg

henningw

Thanks peoples.

So the Samyang is the only TILT lens with an aperture ring that can be set manually. I was hoping for a longer focal length, preferably around 50mm.

Picky, aren't I?

:eek:
I have a Canon 35/2.8 TS for FD mount that works well, and is good optically. It was (and is) way better than the Nikon 35PC, Minolta 35 and Olympus 35. In fact, optically it's pretty close to the Zeiss, and it has a larger image circle. I bought it in the early 70's and had it converted to Konica Autoreflex mount as that had a number of operational advantages over Nikon and Canon at the time. Now I use it with adapters on a Sony A7RII mostly, but it does work on Leica M. The M is just not the best body for it, in part because the throat is both small and a little bit further from the sensor plane than on the Sony, which of course is not ideal either.

The 28 Super-Angulon, either from Leica or Schneider is not that good shifted, but the biggest issue is its distortion. Almost as bad as the Pentax 28 shift.

Just in case you're considering it, the Canon 45 TSE isn't worth getting. Fortunately they're replacing it finally.

I also use Canon 24 TSE II, 17 TSE and 90 TSE. And a Mamiya 55mm/4 shift. I still have a Nikon 28PC, but that is for a Roundshot and is not that useful on a Leica or Sony.

usm

Thanks Geoff, thanks henningw,

After studying a lot of lens data sheets I found out that using the Hasselblad 28mm 4.5 lens correctin in Capture1 for the Leica R PC lens brings good results.

The Canon FD 35mm TS option is new for me. Which lens, Canon FD 35mm TS vs the Zeiss Contax 35mm PC, would you prefer for shooting architecture and landscape ?

Thanks!

Frankly

Sorry the thread title caused me to actually laugh out loud. Funnier that there are legitimate replies. I understand the situation and am sympathetic but it just seems absurd to be using a shift lens with an M. Good for you getting maximum utility out your camera!

My take is that if you’re taking the time to use a shift lens then you might as well do a stitch with your best longer lens. Use the best optics and stitch to go as wide as you need, especially since I doubt you have complex foregrounds.

Last edited:

KeithL

Sorry the thread title caused me to actually laugh out loud. Funnier that there are legitimate replies. I understand the situation and am sympathetic but it just seems absurd to be using a shift lens with an M. Good for you getting maximum utility out your camera!
Frankly if someone had told me five years ago I'd be using Leica M cameras exclusively I wouldn't have believed them. If someone had told me I'd be using them for the range of disciplines I'm using them for now I would have had them certified.

Last edited:

usm

I have to bring this thread up, because of a posting in the FS section:
There is a Schneider PC-TS Super Angulon 4.5/28 HM Aspheric for sale. I know it's a huge and heavy and a expensive lens.

I still have the Leica R PC 2.8/28mm which I like - BUT it has some hard to control distrotions when shifted to the max.

I am asking of some experiences with this lens, used with Leica/Sony what ever.
Is it three times better than the Leica R PC 2.8/28mm?

I also was looking at Cambo Actus or AS Universalis, but there is no 28mm lens. Maybe there are 35mm (32mm) with a big image circle but the price is going very high with Rodenstocks.

Thanks.