The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica CL

iiiNelson

It makes no difference at all! IIRC, a popular member here made several extensive posts asserting that there is very little difference between a m43 sensor and an APSc sensor.

Ofcourse, those were the pre TL days of Sony NEX.
I generally agree TODAY that there’s a very slight difference between Micro 4/3 and APS-C but when the Sony NEX came out in 2010 there was a sizeable difference in IQ between APS-C and Micro 4/3. That’s not to say Micro 4/3 was bad but it ain’t on the same level. Now they’re coming from the same generation of sensors so the difference truly is just the sensor size.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I just had the chance to handle the new Leica CL briefly in the Leica Store Vienna - and I must say I am impressed - this is why:

General:

1) the camera is nice and small, I think one of the smallest when it comes to APSC

2) the EVF is out of a different world. When reading the specs I first was a bit disappointed because I thought it is only 2.3MP again - but you have to look through it - one of the best on the market today, especially because flicker free, bright, giving the impression you are looking at a real image, resolution more than enough AND IMHO it definitely tops the EVFs of the EM1.2 and the Fuji XT2 which I both use or were using extensively over the past years - so I know what I am talking about ...

3) menue system is clear and self explanatory - as one would meanwhile expect from Leica

4) ES works pretty well

5) the TL lens lineup is pretty good, I tried several lenses except the 60 and I was impressed by how compact they actually are

Further Pro's (at least for me):

6) I mounted the SL 90-280 on the CL, which gives a 135-420 reach, something I definitely ask for in my wildlife photography. While this lens is huge, the lens-CL combo is still pretty easily manageable and OIS in that lens makes for a very workable configuration. I know this is not really the combo the CL was designed for, but finally it opens up a perfect wildlife and sports tele-zoom range.

This little CL could easily become my entry back into the Leica eco-system. Could add it first with the TL18 just to get a great and stealthy all-round combo, later add some of the TL zooms, mount my M lenses on it and when finances allow also add the 90-280 and call my other systems a day :toocool:.

Well - at least lot of food for thought :thumbup:

I think Leica created a real winner with that camera - see also this review:

macfilos Home Leica CL Reflections: This camera will be a huge success for Wetzlar

The one thing to see is, if Leica will actully keep the cameras firmware up to date.

That’s the one thing that pisses me off with Leica, they keep treating the cameras as disposables. If we look at the version history of any X or Q camera, it’s horrific. While they’ve been all useable and pretty darn good, there are some bugs in the firmware that should be ironed out. For example some well documented GPS features in X user manual, that never materialized.

The TL series has had some great updates, not too often though, which sheds some hope reg. the CL.

The M/SL/S have some updates.

They now have a nice portfolio of cameras and could play themselves time to really develop the next generation, just by keeping current ones up to date.

I think the CL will sell well. In many ways it’s the TL many hoped for. Some have again foolishly tried to call it the mini M, but I reckon it’s more like Mini SL or Mini R.

GMB

I sometimes think about getting a APS-C with a couple of lenses for occasions where I cannot or don not want to take the M10 or the S. I wonder what would be the better choice: the CL or the TL-2. I already have the EVF for the M10 and don't mind using an external EVF. I have not seen the CL live but like the TL.

Godfrey

I sometimes think about getting a APS-C with a couple of lenses for occasions where I cannot or don not want to take the M10 or the S. I wonder what would be the better choice: the CL or the TL-2. I already have the EVF for the M10 and don't mind using an external EVF. I have not seen the CL live but like the TL.
I had the EVF with the X typ 113. My biggest complaint about it is that it made the camera too large and was always getting caught up on the bag or my clothes as I used the camera. A built-in EVF is definitely a lot more convenient.

G

SrMphoto

I am similarly torn between the two cameras. I like the more contemporary look and UI of the TL2 and that it allows charging via USB. Jono wrote that the AF is faster with CL, and CL's EVF is really nice. Since I prefer shooting with EVF instead of with rear LCD, I would probably pick the CL.