The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica CL

V

Vivek

I wish the Panasonic original is also announced simultaneously!

biglouis

This looks like a great camera. In about two years time when supply actually matches demand, I might even think about owning one.

LouisB

V

Vivek

Perhaps there was also a heavy dose of Scottish and Irish influence from my poor student days. British Columbia, CA was just full of them! :bugeyes:

Thank you, Jono!

jonoslack

Perhaps there was also a heavy dose of Scottish and Irish influence from my poor student days. British Columbia, CA was just full of them! :bugeyes:

Thank you, Jono!
Well, I spend a lot of time in Holland (straight to the point) . . . And to be honest I don’t really think a taste for Sony A7 cameras suggests a Scottish influence either!

I won’t argue your point about value for money, but Leica really do seem to be the only company who are trying to keep things straightforward; Sony and Fuji (especially) add more and more options, in fact, pretty much anything any customer asks for, which is fine, except it makes it tough to get the camera working the way you want it to.

I still like the fact that in IOS, the snooze function is limited to 9 minutes on the alarm . . It’s rather like that!

scott kirkpatrick

Even way over here, I can still hear the cheering on the Leica User Forum. I think it will do just fine.

Jono, your article is one I will keep around for when I actually have to sort out the menus and modes in a CL using short press and long press and only 3 (or is it 4) buttons. I nearly went crazy trying to understand the SL's operations while waiting for mine to arrive. Reading the manual only made things worse. Even though the back of the CL looks like an M10, I gather that the nice "info" screen is not present in the CL??

ggibson

Great addition to Leica's T mount lineup. The design is a bit more quirky compared to the ultra-modern TL2, but I like it. Unfortunately, it seems like it lacks a bit compared some of the impressive AF tracking that recent Fuji and Sony cameras are capable of. Well, it's quite capable in most areas and seems more ergonomic in operation. Also am I the only one who is disappointed that they got rid of the sleek strap system. :(

I may have to watch the Buy/Sell forum to pick up some T lenses at some point...

Stuart Richardson

While I have no malice against the CL, I am disappointed that yet another Leica announcement has gone by without an update to the S, a camera which is supposedly their flagship, but has not had a resolution bump in nearly 10 years (it was announced in September 2008). Every single competitor outresolves it at a lower cost, in some cases a tiny fraction. I wish Leica would get on this...do they really need another APS camera? The TL, TL2, CL, as well as the Q and SL have all come out since they have updated the S...between the S and the Mac Pro I must be a glutton for punishment...

V

Vivek

Well they do put APS-C sensors in their pro video line (Varicam/EVA1).
It makes no difference at all! IIRC, a popular member here made several extensive posts asserting that there is very little difference between a m43 sensor and an APSc sensor.

Ofcourse, those were the pre TL days of Sony NEX.

dchew

I am very interested in this thing, complimenting the MM. My wife can carry the CL, I can carry the MM with the extra M lenses. Maybe eventually purchase the vario, but for now keep the 28 asph (new version) on the CL as a std lens.

Hmm...

Dave

Godfrey

It looks like a delightful camera. If this had been what the T was at introduction time, I'd likely have bought it and developed this system in APS-C rather than gone to the M-P. The T/TL control paradigm is just that tiny step too close to the edge of what I like most to buy into it.

Of course, now I have both the SL and M-D. My camera kit is complete. I've done little other than sell cameras since arriving to this place. I'm content with these to make photographs. While some other cameras tickle my fancy now and then, I haven't found enough motivation to push the buy button on any camera for over a year and a half (although the gods know I've pressed it plenty on other passions...!).

And thanks Jono for another fine review/impression write up! You and I think similarly when it comes to cameras, I think, and I can always rely upon your comments as a good guide to what I'm going to enjoy about a camera.

Cameras are objects of joy and passion to my photographer muse, I don't really apply 'value for money' to them. They just have to work well and make me happy ... and of course they can't do that if I don't have the money to buy them. So I guess I'm not Scottish, Irish, or Dutch. :D

Onwards!
G