The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Take on the Leica CL

PeterA

I dont usually read anyone's reviews about anything but I do make some exceptions to the rule...Nice write up Jono as was Reid's.

After mucking around with a Fuji XT2 for a year I am now not so biased against anything less than so called full frame. I agree with you both - this little camera is a great 'partner' to an M or an SL owner - lens interchangeability as well as a decent line up of primes makes it a bit of a no brainer for me - finally after 30 years I have a camera I can confidently say is worthy of buying - for my wife. She can carry it for me in her handbag an added bonus.

Cheers
Pete

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nice. Very nice. Nice writeup too, Jono. Still no portrait lens, but I guess the macro would work for that... maybe.

If I get rich when I get closer to 80, I'll consider it. Or maybe there will be another model then. It's a couple of decades into the future.

Oh, and that top LCD is a nice touch :)

Jan

Interesting. If that poor student still peddals past a camera store window showing the new CL vs the superlative Sony A7rII, the choice (not based on the price tag alone) would be very easy.

Leica is in a parallel universe alright!
The Sony A7rII is so yesterday with gen-III out very soon, no? :D

I was thrown a curve ball here wondering why on earth the highly respected authority on Leica cameras would come out writing a review on the CL out of the blue. It started dawning when I recalled a posting on FB someone announcing a possible CL soon to be released. I guess it is all about retro these days, no?

Nice write-up, will follow this thread for further developments. Anyone in the market for a mint m-p? ;-)

jonoslack

Great article Jono. Is it easy to focus the M lenses with this CL? It could be a good little backup/travel camera for M shooters.

I really miss my little Minolta CLE kit (28,40,90) all in the neat little leather bag.
Thank You!
yes, it is easy to focus M lenses with the CL - the EVF is really good - I prefer not to use focus peaking, and I don't often zoom in either, but both are possible and the results are excellent (much better than on an Xtrans Fuji).

Best

jonoslack

Well yeah I guess I was thinking something similar to the SL in a different form factor that provides a platform to step into M lenses (eventually) for those that may want FF and portable or those M users with aging eyes.
Ah! don't for a minute think I'm against such a camera - I think there is real scope for it, but not convinced that Leica will make it!

all the best
Jono

jonoslack

I dont usually read anyone's reviews about anything but I do make some exceptions to the rule...Nice write up Jono as was Reid's.
Well Pete, I wouldn't dream of taking anyone's recommendation on buying a camera, but I'm pleased that you enjoyed the article (it really is the intention, I have absolutely no benefit from anyone buying anything!)

After mucking around with a Fuji XT2 for a year I am now not so biased against anything less than so called full frame. I agree with you both - this little camera is a great 'partner' to an M or an SL owner - lens interchangeability as well as a decent line up of primes makes it a bit of a no brainer for me - finally after 30 years I have a camera I can confidently say is worthy of buying - for my wife. She can carry it for me in her handbag an added bonus.

Cheers
Pete
I couldn't agree more, incidentally comparison of files between the X-T2 and the CL using the 28 summicron (new) and the 50 'lux Asph (latest) wasn't even funny - the CL works much better.

best

jonoslack

Nice. Very nice. Nice writeup too, Jono. Still no portrait lens, but I guess the macro would work for that... maybe.

If I get rich when I get closer to 80, I'll consider it. Or maybe there will be another model then. It's a couple of decades into the future.

Oh, and that top LCD is a nice touch :)
Thank you Jorgen
The 60 macro does work very well as a portrait lens - and was designed to. I'm not certain that I would have known, but I have it on good authority it was designed with the lovely 100 macro elmarit in mind.

Just trying to rub it in that you're younger than me?:argue:

All the best

jonoslack

The Sony A7rII is so yesterday with gen-III out very soon, no? :D

I was thrown a curve ball here wondering why on earth the highly respected authority on Leica cameras would come out writing a review on the CL out of the blue. It started dawning when I recalled a posting on FB someone announcing a possible CL soon to be released. I guess it is all about retro these days, no?

Nice write-up, will follow this thread for further developments. Anyone in the market for a mint m-p? ;-)
You must remember that Vivek's "Scottish influences" mean that the gen-III doesn't even exist in his eyes until the he can get a discount and the gen-IV is available!

Glad you liked the write up - keep hold of your mint M-P!

All the best

jonoslack

Jono, it’s great how you stand by to field questions after one of these launches.
Thank you! It's a bit time consuming, but if someone has take the time to read what I wrote then perhaps it's a bit more elegant to answer any questions!

all the best

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Thank you! It's a bit time consuming, but if someone has take the time to read what I wrote then perhaps it's a bit more elegant to answer any questions!

all the best
Jono,

how do you feel about the lack of IS in the CL or better the lack of OIS in all dedicated TL lenses (I know some SL lenses would give OIS) - did you miss it?

Also did you miss sensor cleaning - I could see this become an issue - any thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

jonoslack

Jono,

how do you feel about the lack of IS in the CL or better the lack of OIS in all dedicated TL lenses (I know some SL lenses would give OIS) - did you miss it?

Also did you miss sensor cleaning - I could see this become an issue - any thoughts?

Thanks

Peter
Hi There Peter
I’ve really liked having IBIS in cameras in general, but I have to say that it hasn’t been much of an issue without it (the imagined hordes of oof images aren’t there!).

Sensor cleaning - well I haven’t cleaned the sensor yet, but I guess that goes with the IBIS. Personally after years with M cameras I’ve no fear of sensor cleaning!

Weather sealing I would have liked (but it does seem to be pretty tough and mine had pleanty of splashes).

V

Vivek

On the sensor cleaning: Leica sensors should not be and can not be cleaned! I have my MM with Leica (promised turn around of 6 weeks but now, after a few months, unknown) for a sensor replacement!

Ken Rockwell should add this to his list (http://www.kenrockwell.com/leica/leica-man.htm):

Leica's sensors never get dirty. If they ever do, they need to be replaced.

DwF

I had a surprise hands-on with the CL this afternoon at the Leica Store in Bellevue, Washington. It balanced very nicely with the 18-56mm Vario-Elmar. It was at first handed to me with the 35mmf 1.4 Summilux T, a big lens! While the Summilux f 1.7 that is the heart of the X 113 sacrifices 1/3 stop, I prefer how it balances on the X and find it a more comfortable lens to use. I didn't spend a lot of time with the CL but my sense was the layout (2 dials w buttons) with the screen in between once programmed would be easy enough to use and work with in a pinch. Of course the built-in viewfinder is nice to have. I look forward to spending more time with this rather compact 24mp camera.

David

raist3d

Hi Jono. There are two Leicas (yup, only two) that have made me consider finally buying one of them.

Leica Q
This new CL one.

I simply love what Leica is doing this with usability on both cameras. Keep it simple and to the point. And the basics well done. I am really sick of Olympus menu complexity.

One question: the CL doesn't support DFD autofocus, am I right? I wish they did. The Leica Q does. Maybe some Panasonic licensing issue (it's pretty obvious the Leica Q has a lot of Panasonic inside).

- Ricardo

Godfrey

One question: the CL doesn't support DFD autofocus, am I right? I wish they did. The Leica Q does. Maybe some Panasonic licensing issue (it's pretty obvious the Leica Q has a lot of Panasonic inside).
What is DFD focusing? Do you mean PDAF focusing?

G