The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

My Take on the Leica CL

BlinkingEye

Thanks for your thoughtful write up. I am considering trading my m4/3 system for the CL - for an always with me travel camera.

I see one photo in your write-up at ISO 4000. I would be using this camera for some street photography, what is the highest ISO you are comfortable with? Also, a closely related question, how is the AF speed at, high ISO? does it hunt/lag? You don't directly address this point.

I will thank you in advance for your replies to my queries. Have a great day.

jonoslack

Thanks for your thoughtful write up. I am considering trading my m4/3 system for the CL - for an always with me travel camera.

I see one photo in your write-up at ISO 4000. I would be using this camera for some street photography, what is the highest ISO you are comfortable with? Also, a closely related question, how is the AF speed at, high ISO? does it hunt/lag? You don't directly address this point.

I will thank you in advance for your replies to my queries. Have a great day.
Hi There
Thanks for the kind words, I guess I didn’t directly address these points as they really didn’t come up much.

I was happy enough with 6400 ISO, even 10000 if converting to black and white. The AF is pretty good, even in really quite low light, certainly no hunting or lag.

All the best

V

Vivek

Interesting. If that poor student still peddals past a camera store window showing the new CL vs the superlative Sony A7rII, the choice (not based on the price tag alone) would be very easy.

Leica is in a parallel universe alright!

jonoslack

Interesting. If that poor student still peddals past a camera store window showing the new CL vs the superlative Sony A7rII, the choice (not based on the price tag alone) would be very easy.

Leica is in a parallel universe alright!
I guess they’ve always been in a private universe!

Well, if I were that student again I certainly wouldn’t be lusting after a Sony A7rii, because it just isn’t lustworthy . It might be good, but that’s nothing to do with it. . I’m sure the equivalent Minolta or Pentax would have been sitting in the window as well (I just can’t remember it).

All the best

BlinkingEye

Hi There
Thanks for the kind words, I guess I didn’t directly address these points as they really didn’t come up much.

I was happy enough with 6400 ISO, even 10000 if converting to black and white. The AF is pretty good, even in really quite low light, certainly no hunting or lag.

All the best
Thank you.

Shashin

Just give it a few years, and Sony (formerly Minolta) will come out with the CLE. It is funny, when I was working for Minolta, we kept talking about a CLD. Nothing serious, but it was always something I think the engineers wanted to do.

Thanks Jono.

VINCET

Great article Jono. Is it easy to focus the M lenses with this CL? It could be a good little backup/travel camera for M shooters.

I really miss my little Minolta CLE kit (28,40,90) all in the neat little leather bag.

Norm N

Yes, with a really good photographer, the Leica CL takes wonderful photos. I have the X-E3, Fuji’s version of the CL. I love the form factor, and the wonderful Fuji glass. I’m sure Leica users will the same way about the Cl and the Leica glass.

iiiNelson

I saw this essentially a TL2 with a built in EVF? If so great move on everything except the price. I’m not sure how it managed to cost $300 more than the TL with the EVF attachment but that’s Leica I guess. I think the price is too close to premium FF cameras from Canon, Nikon, and Sony personally and too far from direct competition from Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji but it’s just my opinion. No doubt it’ll take great pictures in the right hands but it’s not the type of product that’ll expand the younger Leica user base. A FF mirrorless interchangeable lens Q will do that though. Yes it’ll cannibalizes SOME M sales possibly but more than likely it’ll attract more to the M as well.

DwF

Re: The Leica CL and the X before it!

Thanks for the review Jono. I tend to be a curmudgeon about many of the newer cameras when they first roll out. I inderstand it is my own personality disorder......a curb your enthusiasm thing :)

This CL already appeals to me. You made mention of the X in terms of the basic "package" and I couldn't help but read about this one with my X 113 in mind. I'm noticing resale on that camera has held pretty well (two recently went for over $1100) and think Leica did it right with the X-113. That said the camera has been a sleeper; your review was good but some others missed the mark and samples were poor.

The lens on the X like the X Vario is fabulous but also fast. It's weak AA filter insignificant (imho) and the ability to focus with the focus ring....no buttons to push, and simple layout make it way easier to use than RX1 and even than X100. The speed of the lens allows for shallow DOF and makes a camera that is much more versatile. And the flash is outstanding being able to quickly be dialed down.

Even reading about the CL, I think the X holds up very well. Again nice review, one caveat, your Clickity Clack photo is way too contre jour! Would benefit from the X's pop up flash ;)

David

Last edited:

jonoslack

Re: The Leica CL and the X before it!

Thanks for the review Jono. I tend to be a curmudgeon about many of the newer cameras when they first roll out. I inderstand it is my own personality disorder......a curb your enthusiasm thing :)

This CL already appeals to me. You made mention of the X in terms of the basic "package" and I couldn't help but read about this one with my X 113 in mind. I'm noticing resale on that camera has held pretty well (two recently went for over $1100) and think Leica did it right with the X-113. That said the camera has been a sleeper; your review was good but some others missed the mark and samples were poor.

The lens on the X like the X Vario is fabulous but also fast. It's weak AA filter insignificant (imho) and the ability to focus with the focus ring....no buttons to push, and simple layout make it way easier to use than RX1 and even than X100. The speed of the lens allows for shallow DOF and makes a camera that is much more versatile. And the flash is outstanding being able to quickly be dialed down.

Even reading about the CL, I think the X holds up very well. Again nice review, one caveat, your Clickity Clack photo is way too contre jour! Would benefit from the X's pop up flash ;)

David
Hi David
Thanks for the appreciation, and I suppose the real advantage over the X cameras is that the AF is much much faster.

As for the Clickety Clack shot - it doesn’t really need a popup flash, just a little less contrast adjustment. I was never very keen on HDR, even in the best of causes!

jonoslack

I saw this essentially a TL2 with a built in EVF? If so great move on everything except the price. I’m not sure how it managed to cost $300 more than the TL with the EVF attachment but that’s Leica I guess. I think the price is too close to premium FF cameras from Canon, Nikon, and Sony personally and too far from direct competition from Olympus, Panasonic, and Fuji but it’s just my opinion. No doubt it’ll take great pictures in the right hands but it’s not the type of product that’ll expand the younger Leica user base. A FF mirrorless interchangeable lens Q will do that though. Yes it’ll cannibalizes SOME M sales possibly but more than likely it’ll attract more to the M as well.
I don’t think any Leica cameras are ever going to be a value proposition, especially when compared with the mainstream mass produced cameras. To be honest, the only younger photographers I know who shoot Leica all shoot M cameras.

I can see the attraction of an interchangeable lens Q (ie full frame), but that would be directed straight at the Sony A7 cameras, (I assume you mean it would be L mount with autofocus?).

I don’t think there is really a way to expand the younger Leica user base at an economy level, and at the top end I think it is expanding.

iiiNelson

I don’t think any Leica cameras are ever going to be a value proposition, especially when compared with the mainstream mass produced cameras. To be honest, the only younger photographers I know who shoot Leica all shoot M cameras.

I can see the attraction of an interchangeable lens Q (ie full frame), but that would be directed straight at the Sony A7 cameras, (I assume you mean it would be L mount with autofocus?).

I don’t think there is really a way to expand the younger Leica user base at an economy level, and at the top end I think it is expanding.
Well yeah I guess I was thinking something similar to the SL in a different form factor that provides a platform to step into M lenses (eventually) for those that may want FF and portable or those M users with aging eyes.