The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

75mm Noctilux-M f/1.25

Shashin

Not sure why folks are so upset by this? If you find it difficult to focus wide open, then stop it down. (You might also want to have an eye exam (or simply decide to get younger next year (at that price, you might want to get your whole head examined at the same time, but that is a different story.)))

Can't we just enjoy it for what it is--a nice lens?

msadat

At the end, this will be an stunning lens worthy of the Leica name, the hardest part is letting go of 12k

Godfrey

i think its time for leica to roll out a retro af leica m camera same as contax ax or the techart adapter for the sony cameras. most people that can afford this lens are going to be a bit older and will need this kind of technology
Autofocus systems almost never achieve critical focus as consistently as manually focusing a lens. I'm old and my eyes are getting a bit tweaky, but I can still achieve perfect manual focus with a fast lens using my Leica M-D or M4-2 (or the SL and Leicaflex SL, for that matter) with much more consistency than any AF system I've used does.

I'm not really in the market for a Noctilux-M 75mm lens, however. Although I loved the Summilux 75mm, I found it a bit too heavy and also found that I only very very rarely needed f/1.4 or even f/2 because of DoF requirements. I now have the Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4 and find it to be just about right on the money for performance and overall size/weight: it's a much more practical and useful lens for me. :)

G

V

Vivek

How do you or anyone know that? The lens diagram looks bizzare. Every surface according to the drawing seems to be an aspheric!

Karbe’s claim that the front and rear boket are equally fuzzy appears to suggest that no such lens existed before this one. I am quite sure that is incorrect.

At 1 Kg, holding it with a M body would be a nightmare. May be it is meant to be a shelf queen?

Can't we just enjoy it for what it is--a nice lens?

V

Vivek

You convinced me with your compelling words. It is a nice lens. It must be.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sorry but I want to see them allocate more resources to improving their QC and shortening repair turn around times.

Once they do that, the outcomes reflect that and maybe even implement a version of what is NPS for working pros, then they can make trophy glass for the doctors and software developers who want to take the world's most amazingly boring photos of beer bottles and out of focus Christmas lights.

Everyone has a right to chime in with their opinion so there is mine.
That is one of the reasons I only have a Q at the present time.

However, I doubt that Peter Karbe's strengths lie in QC and repair issues. But they do need to be addressed if those of us with 4 decades of Leica experience
continue to pay their prices for beautiful glass ... need something reliable to attach them to in the digital realm.

Regards,

Bob

Robert Campbell

I bet it will help me enormously if I get it at a steep discount or free from Leica!
Leica already has my address.
I don't know about you Vivek, but between this and the Thambar the €uromillions has a lot to answer for (it's not delivered).

PeterA

I am a bit miffed about the term Noctilux being used on this lens which is only a puny 1.25 wide open.

fotografz

Sorry but I want to see them allocate more resources to improving their QC and shortening repair turn around times.
This is the FIRST thing that jumped to mind when I saw the announcement for this exotic lens.

That Leica is an "Super Elite" brand goes without saying. Unfortunately, it is NOT an "Elite Ownership Experience," (unless you are a member of the inner circle).

Personally, I'm a "Leica Masochist" ... I love the look and feel of the optical results to the point of suffering the "Whips & Chains" of using modern Leica equipment.

Over more years than some of you have been alive, I've owned a dizzying array of Leica gear. In recent years, I've gone from being angry to just profoundly disappointed in the QC, reliability and service. I actually feel betrayed for the loyalty and endless cash I gave them for almost 50 years.

Now when I go to do a job, I genuflect before the bag, and pray to all the diverse divine entities the world over that this stuff will work. All to often is has not. That I have to drag a full Sony kit to every shoot as insurance is pure USDA, Grade A Bull----!

Then comes the experience of sending gear off to a "Worm Hole" who's return is anyone's guess, communication non-existent, and satisfactory completion is a cryptic crap shoot.

Love this new lens. Would love to own one. Never will. I see it as an insult to all of us that endure their horrible ownership experience.

- Marc

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Yes it would be much appreciated if Leica invested in better QC both out of the factory and service . Service is as bad as I ve seen it with now even numerous complaints about poor repair quality ..whicb was not a previous concern . This is a function of ATTITUDE and it starts at the top ...the arrogance of Leica is deep and wide . This I believe will not change as the emperor wore no clothes . Leica has been successful financially and DR K seems to be having one heck of a good time . Why change ?

Being a long standing Leica Fan Boy . I have found work arounds that are both costly (redundant equipment ) and a dedicated Leica dealer that has my loyalty . Both have served me well now since the M9 was introduced . I use two S bodies or two M bodies and have not had failure in the field since the M9 was introduced . (yes I had sensor corrosion which I never saw in images and S lenses that I sent for repair ..but no failures that effected my shooting ).

Each year about this time ...I begin to think about what I want to do in 2018 and beyond . It just doesn t happen anymore ..I need to plan ,prepare and follow through (yes I am getting older ) . I have the means to do pretty much what I want with Photography ....but not always the strong passion . ( I am not as some of my friends do ..standing in deep snow for hours ).

So I share Karbe s obvious joy at developing and bringing to market a lens with unique capabilities . He has moved so far beyond the sterile (my lens is sharper than that) perspective . :clap:

algrove

I remember a Karbe interview where he mentioned getting away from large round lenses when the APO 50 was introduced.

I respect the developments Leica keeps coming forth with, but WOW the prices are way off my charts.

I used to own 60 M lenses and 28 R lenses. I now own just 4 M lenses ( 2 of which are old but not expensive) and old MM1 bodies which have been sensor fixed and CLA'd.

Still convinced it's not the gear that takes memorable images but the person.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The recent Leica prices are really getting out of this world - I am simply no longer able nor willing to pay for lenses in a price range above 3-4k, so unfortunately this wonderful lens will obviously never be for me.

I do not appreciate the direction Leica is going with such lenses - maybe a new 1.4/75 APO for 5-6K would have just been all right :banghead::banghead:

vieri

The recent Leica prices are really getting out of this world - I am simply no longer able nor willing to pay for lenses in a price range above 3-4k, so unfortunately this wonderful lens will obviously never be for me.

I do not appreciate the direction Leica is going with such lenses - maybe a new 1.4/75 APO for 5-6K would have just been all right :banghead::banghead:
As far as I see it, Leica has a three-prongs approach to lens design and production, plus a fourth:

1. Slow(er) lenses; Elmars, Elmarits.
2. Medium fast lenses; Summicrons
3. Fast lenses; Summiluxes
(4). Special lenses.

In groups 1-3, you have pretty much one each for every focal length, except for 18mm and 135mm which only have one, and for 21mm, 24mm and 90mm which only have two. 75mm also has 2, considering that the f/1.4 is not in production anymore. The differences between lenses in group 1-3 are speed, of course, and (for the f/2.4 lenses) slightly build quality - optically, they all range from extremely good to exceptional.

Plus, there are (4), the special lenses (special for different reasons): the two Noctiluxes and the APO Summicron 50mm, the Thambar, the 90mm Macro, the Tri-Elmar, the 28 f/5.6...

Out of the special lenses (and out of the ultra-wide Luxes), some are an exercise in lens design, pushing the envelope in ways that no other lens maker can do. The 50mm Nocti and the new 75mm Nocti are two of such lenses, as is the 50 APO, or the ultra-wide Summiluxes: as such, it is only expected that they cost what they cost. If one doesn't need them, or if they are out of one's price range, the good thing is that one can get fantastic lenses in the M lineup for every focal length for very different prices, from (Leica)Affordable to (Leica)Expensive. True, the former are STILL expensive compared to non-Leica standards, and the latter might be Outofthisworld expensive compared to non-Leica standards. But this is the nature of the beast when you start using Leica :banghead:

Best regards,

Vieri

jonoslack

Hi There Vieri
Great post . . just one thing:
Plus, there are (4), the special lenses (special for different reasons): the two Noctiluxes and the APO Summicron 50mm, the Thambar, the 90mm Macro, the Tri-Elmar, the 28 f/5.6...
Isn't that (7)?

:ROTFL:

Anyway, I did spend some time with this lens on a couple of occasions . . . . here are some snaps if anyone is interested:

Incidentally, all shot on the M10 without using the EVF (FWIW). It's heavy, but handles perfectly well.

I agree with Vieri wholeheartedly - sadly I can't afford one either (sob)

vieri

Hi There Vieri
Great post . . just one thing:

Isn't that (7)?

:ROTFL:

Anyway, I did spend some time with this lens on a couple of occasions . . . . here are some snaps if anyone is interested:

Incidentally, all shot on the M10 without using the EVF (FWIW). It's heavy, but handles perfectly well.

I agree with Vieri wholeheartedly - sadly I can't afford one either (sob)
Hi There Jono! Yes, (4) is 7... thanks to some strange Italian Math! :ROTFL:

Glad you agree with my little subdivision of M lenses! Btw - I can't afford the 75 Nocti either, but at least you got to play with one! Great job with the samples! :thumbup:

Best regards,

Vieri