The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

75mm Noctilux-M f/1.25

GMB

I have the 75 1.4, which I love (because it renders so beautifully) and hate (because it's so difficult to focus). I wonder what the difference between the 2 lenses will be, and how much the 75 1.25 will cost. Anyway, I think this will be a spectacular lens.

msadat

i think its time for leica to roll out a retro af leica m camera same as contax ax or the techart adapter for the sony cameras. most people that can afford this lens are going to be a bit older and will need this kind of technology

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Meh...

I bet my 105 1.4E on the D850 will put it to shame in terms of resulting photos based on nailing far more keepers, well paired optics and resolution and being able to compose better shots.

Seems a pointless lens to me but then again, so does anything over 50mm on a Leica M. I'm sure it will do best on an SL but the 105/850 combo will still leave it in the dust in terms of better photos overall.
Just OT as your answer - but here we go ....

ever tried a 1.2/45 Olympus Pro lens on a EM1.2 :cool::thumbs::toocool:

That would put any Nikon combo to shame:p

V

Vivek

There are some who “grow” because of this lens as in the link.

I bet it will help me enormously if I get it at a steep discount or free from Leica!
Leica already has my address.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My answer was that I don't see the point of this lens because with this shallow depth of field in a narrower field of view, there are much better combos out there.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Leica gear I do use but I am no brand-fan, just a fan of phenomenal photographs and I use the best tool for the job, not find the best job for the tool I favor the most.

99% of the photos I see with lenses like the 50mm .95 are already so boring and static is just mind blowing, I can't see that improving with this lens.
The lenses I really have grown on are the ones you say are boring - the 1/50 Nocti and the 1.4/75 Summilux, as the 2/90 Summilux. And believe it or not I was even able to get a pretty high hit rate during dynamic shooting with my old M8 body - so I only can imagine what I could achieve with a modern M10 body, or even the SL.

I have almost never used such lenses in a static way ...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I never said the lenses are boring, only the photos made with them. If you have some ground breaking images made with them, by all means, pony up.
Do not really want to be picky, but you said in your last post

"99% of the photos I see with lenses like the 50mm .95 are already so boring and static is just mind blowing, I can't see that improving with this lens."

.... boring comes from you :ROTFL:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Obviously due to your juvenile approach, this is a waste of my time, but you know what I meant, 99% of the photos I see that have been made with these lenses are boring.

Enjoy your hobby of camera gear!
Interesting take ...

But I quite agree, this discussion is a waste of time and I am happy you recognised!

All the best!

Knorp

remarkable how one can experience that same déjà-vu over and over again ... :loco:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Meh...

I bet my 105 1.4E on the D850 will put it to shame in terms of resulting photos based on nailing far more keepers, well paired optics and resolution and being able to compose better shots.

Seems a pointless lens to me but then again, so does anything over 50mm on a Leica M. I'm sure it will do best on an SL but the 105/850 combo will still leave it in the dust in terms of better photos overall.
Based on my experience with both the 105/1.4 Nikkor and the prior generation 75/1.4 M.....

No question you will get far more sharp images with the Nikon system ...my experience was with the D5 and to date nothing I have used has even been close for AF capabilities ...Target Acquisition + Tracking . Almost any modern system can produce “accurate AF of a static target “ but few can properly acquire the desired focus point of an object in motion ..let alone track it . Factor in that the 105/1.4 is one of the best lenses (regardless of how you measure it ) that I have used in any system .

The character of the Leica 75/1.25 is quite easy to see in the example photographs provided on the Leica Blog ..it is quite a bit different from the Nikon lens . The ability to dial in this aesthetic to fit subject is the key value of the Leica glass. Its produces a beautiful rendering which may or may not fit your application . It will be a B&&^& to focus even with an EVF and your hit rate will for sure be less.

Still....it looks to provide a very special image quality capable of rendering impressive photographs . For me thats the goal ..rarely achieved but quite satisfying when you do.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It always is a bit of interest for me to read the responses to a new Leica announcement.

Tends to be the practice of valuing their new new thing on the basis of our pre-conceived bias and history.

That new thang could not be as good as the three things I have in my closet .... and I dare say it must not challenge
my concept of best practice.

Reality is that Peter Karbe and the Leica team have their own idea of idealized glass. And in reality they are aware that
many will not get it ... which is why Leica has struggled/survived/prospered over the last four decades.

Not a lens for you then stick with the Fuj/Pana/Son... variants you love.

Nice to see them revealing a lens that is not for the TL or SL ...

Really ... why do we all need to exercise punitive judgement rather than discernment ....

Looks like a great piece of glass ...

Bob

V

Vivek

Tends to be the practice of valuing their new new thing on the basis of our pre-conceived bias and history.

That new thang could not be as good as the three things I have in my closet ....

Bob
Also do not forget Leica’s own failures and recent history.

Thang?!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Its a US southern dialect ... for thing .. but a bit closer to the heart ... think Stevie Ray Vaughn ... and you might
come a bit closer to the substance of the language.

Regards,

Bob