The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With the Leica CL

jdphoto

What are the best TL lenses for the CL? I've read mixed reviews on the 18-56mm, but good reviews for the 11-23mm. Normally, I shoot primes, but a set such as an 18-56, 55-135mm would cover most needs. I have a 28mm Elmarit M and an M 50 1.4 Lux, so thinking maybe just start there.

scott kirkpatrick

I've been using the 11-23, 23 prime, 60 prime and 55-135. They are all excellent. I have an M and both the Summilux 50-asph and the APO Summicron 50, so I haven't been tempted by the TL 35, but it appears to be quite special as well.

RMR

I've been using the 11-23, 23 prime, 60 prime and 55-135. They are all excellent. I have an M and both the Summilux 50-asph and the APO Summicron 50, so I haven't been tempted by the TL 35, but it appears to be quite special as well.
I've found the 18-56 to be a fine lens with some good 'character' depending on aperture, etc.

jdphoto

Disappearing dock....Leica CL, 50mm Summilux, iso 200, 1/10000 sec (yikes!)
Is that really the ISO? If so, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Great pics, I love the New England coast in winter. I'm going to try the CL next week with my 50mm Summilux and 28 Elmarit 2.8. Is there any consensus on stand out TL lenses? The 50mm Lux should be a nice portrait lens at 75mm equivalent. I'm not sure if it's the lens or the sensor, but the colors are stunning!

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Best wide to medium angle for the CL

There's a discussion on the LUF of most-used lenses on the CL. Since there are so many available, both L and M mounts, I think the setting you choose to work in is the major factor. The 11-23 CL is technically a better lens than the 23/2.0 CL, but can only offer f/4.5 at its 23 mm limit, f/3.5 at its widest. On a nice day for outdoor shooting, I use f/5.6 or f/8, so this doesn't matter, and the wide zoom CL will also focus closer than the Summicron CL 23:

C1010629 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr 11-23 at 23 mm

The only M lens that appeals to me on the CL is the 18 SEM, which is no faster than the CL's 18/2.8 but is definitely sharper. I did a landscape panorama with it recently. I'm getting a 35/1.4 CL. The competition from the 50s available on the M240 or M10 is pretty severe, but autofocus is nice to have.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Trying to do the Bruce Davidson Yosemite shots

I'm not quite brave enough to walk around and explore the full range of approaches to Israeli campsites, but the 11 mm setting lets me take it all in from a safe distance:

C1010486 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr 11-23 CL @11mm, f/4.0

Also, this park attracts the "mangal" (barbecue) crowd, coming for the midday with the whole three-generation family, unloading meat for the grill, chairs for the older generation and many shopping bags full of sandwich food, drinks and condiments onto the picnic tables. To see the tents, pop-out trailers and vans, and unloaded bicycles and motorbikes, you have to go an hour or so further north.

RMR

Is that really the ISO? If so, I'd say that's pretty impressive. Great pics, I love the New England coast in winter. I'm going to try the CL next week with my 50mm Summilux and 28 Elmarit 2.8. Is there any consensus on stand out TL lenses? The 50mm Lux should be a nice portrait lens at 75mm equivalent. I'm not sure if it's the lens or the sensor, but the colors are stunning!
The iso was just 200 for that photo. I've found the CL wide angle and normal zooms to be tack sharp and provide great color.

jdphoto

The iso was just 200 for that photo. I've found the CL wide angle and normal zooms to be tack sharp and provide great color.
Yeah, I read it as 10000 ISO...it was late. Thanks for the info. I have a CL to try this week with the 23mm f2 Summicron and my 50 M Lux. Any chance Leica will produce a few faster primes for wide and tele?

RMR

Boston, MA skyline from Fan Pier along the waterfront early am after some ice and snow. Leica CL, iso200, 11-23mm at 11mm, f7.1, 1/320 handheld amd processed to taste.
L1000375_CL_RMR_Feb_2018_Clouds-Less_FB.jpg

jdphoto

Here's one with the CL and 23mm f/2. The sun peeked out just enough to throw color on the barn, but I forgot to change the ISO. This was shot at 3200. However, I've noticed this with other Leica digital sensors, is that there's an organic feel to the image, almost a film-like quality when shot at high ISO's. This appeals to me because I primarily shoot film.

jdphoto

CL with the 23mm f/2. The CL was subjected to high winds, sea salt and spray during a recent storm in New England.

Last edited: