The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With the Leica CL

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Yikes, now I'm being told what words I meant to use! No, I chose my word correctly as in nothing useful or beneficial. I tried to offer my experiences or "marker points", but giant egos trumped civility.
You recognised your ego :angel:

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Reads thread title. Reads last dozen posts. Reads thread title. Makes quizzical "dog head tilted to one side" look.

I only have a TL2, but adore the 11-23:

Best,

Matt

jdphoto

I really did enjoy the CL, aside from the 23mm f/2. Leica even chose one of mine as a "Leica Master Shot", using the CL and 23mm lens combo, so it's not without merit that I speak from some experience with this camera. I am always amazed at how some react to comments that are intended to be useful and practical. I expect pushback from the usual suspects, but not you Peter, considering you don't even own the CL. My best to all who use this camera that you'll find it to your liking and have wonderful photographs taken with it.

Kind regards

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really did enjoy the CL, aside from the 23mm f/2. Leica even chose one of mine as a "Leica Master Shot", using the CL and 23mm lens combo, so it's not without merit that I speak from some experience with this camera. I am always amazed at how some react to comments that are intended to be useful and practical. I expect pushback from the usual suspects, but not you Peter, considering you don't even own the CL. My best to all who use this camera that you'll find it to your liking and have wonderful photographs taken with it.

Kind regards
I have nothing against your thoughts and opinions - read my answers carefully! I only expressed my thoughts about certain kind of photos (photography) that I found I do not like so much at least anymore - has nothing to do WRT your capabilities as photographer etc.

With that out of the way I used the CL occasionally and with more than 50 years experience in photography and almost all camera systems having been available and still available - both analog and digital - I evolved a good opinion what works for me, what type of photography (and recently videography) I like and what I don't - and I like the CL and the results I am seeing and getting from it.

If I don't like a specific style does not mean this is a bad style or whatsoever but it means I don't like it and I take the freedom to express this if asked or pointed too often at. And this exactly was happening IMHO with your repeated posts about how bad the CL performs in the circumstances of direct sun through the 23 on the CL sensor etc, and then adding your photo sample ... sorry but I had to speak up. If I offended you this was not my intention - sorry again for that!

Coming back to the thread and the facts about the CL - even if I like the results and the way of shooting it allows I am still missing several things on the CL and the Leica APSC system overall. First there should be IBIS and I do hope Leica will start introducing this soon and second I am missing several lenses in the Leica APSC lens lineup, especially a longer tele zoom, say 100-400 or similar. But then again that's me and how I want to use a camera (system). Other than that I find the CL very appealing and applaud Leica for finally coming up with it and adding the EVF (a very good EVF) to this camera. I only hope they also bring what was rumoured to be their FF CM - and hope this finally is a camera that can take M lenses, has a great built in EVF and takes also FF AF lenses (that either are from the SL or specifically designed for this camera). But again these are my wishes and they might differ from the wishes and needs of others - and that is fine with me! If such a camera doers not materialise I maybe will not get back into shooting Leica anymore and start selling off my M lenses and R lenses I still own. But then again I am fully aware this will not change anything in Leica's development decisions :cool:;)

So I hope we can bring that discussion to a good end now and continue in a friendly manner while each understanding our different but always good motivations.

Best regards

Peter

Godfrey

Okay, here's a picture of the Leica CL with Voigtländer Color Skopar 28mm f/3.5 and half case fitted. Also the Peak Design connection dots for a strap when I want one:

It's a neat little package. I've been figuring out how to set it up for my intended use, not yet made an exposure with it...
I'll post some photo fun made with the CL a little later today. :D

Godfrey

It's largish, it's long, it's cheap, it's kinda ugly ...

It's a Sigma 600mm f/8 cat in Nikon F mount.

Here's a test setup ... (No, I'm not hand-holding this any time soon!)

and the original exposure:

Processed to a finish photo:

Cheap old Sigma 600 cat with all the trimmings cost me $80 some years ago. This was kind of a stress test for it. I'm surprised at how well it works.

Welcome to my first Leica CL photo! :D

Godfrey

Now the entertainment of testing all my lenses...

The CL fitted with Elmar-R 180mm f/4 and 2x Extender-R is a light, compact and handy package for an effective 540mm lens. Easy to carry and only a medium weight tripod required.

It shows a bit of chromatic aberration and fringing in certain lighting situations, which are reduced when stopped down. Both are easily controlled with Lightroom. Other advantages of being able to be stopped down are easily apparent ... although a bit shorter overall than the Sigma 600mm, the imaging qualities are much finer.

f/4 (wide open):

f/11 (3 stops down):

f/4:

f/11:

f/4:

f/11:

This lens setup has the added benefit of being pretty inexpensive. I think I recall paying about $400 for the lens and $60 for the doubler. A bargain! :D

In truth, a 540mm lens is longer than I need most of the time ... I'll be using the 180mm without the doubler most of the time. But it's nice to have that little bit more on occasion.

Thus:

enjoy!

Godfrey

More lens testing!

It took a significant part of the day to hunt up where my Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 and Macro-Elmar-R 100mm + Focusing Bellows-R had gone hiding, but I did find them.

I first fitted the 19mm to the CL ... It's a little funny looking because the R19mm v1 has such a huge front element:

But it's a very sweet old Mandler design and produces a very nice photograph. This one was made at f/5.6 at a low ISO ... tripod mounted, of course:

I didn't have time today to do the setup required to play with the Macro-Elmar-R 100mm. I want to spend some serious time with that since it's the macro and repro work that I really bought the CL body to do. Tomorrow's another day! :)

BTW: I hadn't realized it before, but the RRS B25C plate that they sell (sold?) for the R8/R9 bodies is a near perfect match to the tripod foot of the R Adapter M. It can be fitted butted to the front, the back, or either side allowing you to use it for tiny incremental positioning side to side or back and forth.

G

Godfrey

Tom's a handsome lad, Scott. I see a bit of the young Lee Majors from The Six Million Dollar Man in his face. :D

G

Godfrey

A couple of portraits taken this morning at the cafe where we do Thursday Breakfast. :)

Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 160 @ f/2 @ 1/100

Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 250 @ f/2 @ 1/100

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

I was downtown in San Jose for a walk and afternoon coffee yesterday, carrying the Leica CL fitted with the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 lens, testing this lovely old Walter Mandler design lens out on the new body, essentially.

I made nine photos in my short walk around the neighborhood, mostly playing with shapes and spaces, objects and people:

The Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 lens has a rather bulky front element, but proves to be reasonably easy to handle and work with on the CL body despite that. It focuses quite close and gives a field of view approximating that of a 28 to 30mm lens on a FF format camera on the CL's APS-C sensor. For this lens, I found myself using focus peaking and magnification quite often to obtain accurate focus.

Perhaps the new TL18mm lens is a lot smaller, a lot lighter, and all that ... it would certainly be less to carry. But I like shooting with this old R lens quite a lot regardless. :)

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

I rode my bicycle to Cupertino yesterday and had lunch with one of my buddies there. I had the camera with me with the notion of stopping to take some photos along the way there and back ... never did, but Cameron took a snap of me and I took a snap of him at the end of our lunch. :)

Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
ISO 500 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50

Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
ISO 640 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50

enjoy!
G