The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With the Leica CL

PeterA

You are having too much fun over there Godfrey - the Isle of Man street racing would have been awesome I bet!

Godfrey

You are having too much fun over there Godfrey - the Isle of Man street racing would have been awesome I bet!
It was indeed! And then a day at Bletchley Park, a day at Bury St. Edmunds Abbey and Cathedral, a day meandering around Lechlade and the Thames... Today I'm off to London. I'm staying with another friend and we'll see the Tate Modern, Greenwich Observatory, etc before I'm off to Boston on Tuesday.

This is a Big Trip ... So many stories to tell of it. :D

G

Robert Campbell

My fun, if that's the word, began a few days ago. I'd ordered a new-to-me 60mm macro lens. I got word that it had been delivered; it wasn't delivered to me, though. So, I spent most of a day going round the neighbours looking for it. They were all very helpful, even ringing other people, but there was no sign of the parcel. The delivery driver then got back to me with 'directions' to a house, which though it is only a couple of numbers different from mine, is actually the best part of a mile away. And yes, they had the parcel, but they had no idea who it might be for.

On opening the parcel and the boxed lens, all was present...even the lens hood, which was in two pieces. There is an outer cowl, and an inner annulus which is glued to the cowl, and which locks the hood into place. I have sort of been able to put it together, but it doesn't really work properly.

Meanwhile, I have the loan of a brash young assistant; she's here while her servant is off on respite for a few days. She does keep a very careful eye on things:

60 mm Macro, f/3.2. 1/160, ISO 5000, uncropped.

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

My 35 CL 1.4's hood (it is the same part number) did the same -- the inner ring came out. I've put it back twice now. Once it worked and once it did not. When it did not line up right I could lock the hood in place reversed but not in the picture taking direction. See if you can get it replaced, but this may prove to be a frequent problem.

Robert Campbell

My 35 CL 1.4's hood (it is the same part number) did the same -- the inner ring came out. I've put it back twice now. Once it worked and once it did not. When it did not line up right I could lock the hood in place reversed but not in the picture taking direction. See if you can get it replaced, but this may prove to be a frequent problem.
I've managed to get the hood to fit onto the bayonet, but not to lock on it. As you suggest, there may be an inherent flaw. Mine looked as if the inner ring or annulus was simply glued to the cowl or hood itself.

The part number on the hood itself is 12429; in the English section of the booklet about the lens, it says a replacement is 12426. In the German section it is 12429/12430; it's the same number(s) in all the other language sections. I wonder why the English replacement has a different part number. (The lens seems to have originally been sold by a London dealer.)

scott kirkpatrick

My black hood is part number 12429; my silver hood is 12430. Both purchased in the US. Both of them lock on easily with a longish turn and a click when reversed. But in the forward direction one of them only locks without a click after turning very hard, and the other doesn't lock on at all because I can't turn it far enough. I think it is too clever a design.

Robert Campbell

My black hood is part number 12429; my silver hood is 12430. Both purchased in the US. Both of them lock on easily with a longish turn and a click when reversed. But in the forward direction one of them only locks without a click after turning very hard, and the other doesn't lock on at all because I can't turn it far enough. I think it is too clever a design.
That explains the double numbering; both the 35mm and the 60 mm are listed in the UK in black and in silver.

I have a similar problem with the lens hood for 18-56 kit zoom. It's quite hard to get the hood to 'click lock' into position, it needs a forcible turn.

Back in the day, the R lenses had built in extendable hoods. Simple and neat; why can't we go back to this?

Robert Campbell

I had an exchange of emails and a phone call with the London dealer who supplied the 60mm macro lens. They have had customers whose lens hoods have 'come apart' in the same way. I have been offered a replacement under warranty; I'll see how things go.

I did suggest to them that they contact Leica to tell them of this problem, for it seems to be inherent or generic, and that 'something should be done'.

Godfrey

I have to say: the Leica CL is meeting and exceeding all my expectations so far. I've only rendered a subset of the photos I've made with it on this trip, and to a one, they're all looking fantastic technically. (Regards whether they're "great art" or not, well, Time will judge that better than these quicklooks. :D)

The Small Wood by the Green - Royal Naval Observatory, Greenwich 2018
Leica CL + Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8
ISO 320 @ f/4 @ 1/50

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

Seagull, Steel Water, and Horizon - Eastham, MA 2018
Leica CL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/320

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

From a beautiful day's outing in Provincetown:

Oglers - Provincetown, MA 2018
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/100

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Two of my photos from the visit to the Intrepid Museum in Manhattan, NYC:

Intrepid Transom - Intrepid Museum, Manhattan, NY 2018

Blackbird Business End - Intrepid Museum, Manhattan, NY 2018

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

Fishing - Continental Divide, Western Side, CO 2018
ISO 400 @ f/8 @ 1/500

Enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Last leg homewards...

One Great Trip - Manhattan, NYC 2018
Polaroid framing by "ShakeItPhoto" app.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Leica CL with the 55-135 wide open

In a brief visit to the Hula wildlife reserve with a largeish group, late in the afternoon, we saw large flocks of cranes in their migration from Europe to their winter quarters in Africa. Conditions for photography were pretty bad -- shooting nearly straight into the sun and at a fair distance from the fields where the flocks settled down -- but the AF was right on target more than half the time using single shot spot focus, and there were lots of opportunities to shoot. One example:

C1090514 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Early (or late) blooms

What kind of a plant is that?
I had to ask to get the right spelling of the name in Hebrew. We call it חצב or Hatsav, and the English seems to be SeaSquill. It grows from a very large bulb, starting in winter, reaches a meter or so high with most of its growth in late summer, and blooms in the last days of summer, when few other plants are in flower. It's common, but for most of the year you would never notice it. Here's the family tree:

Urginea, named for an Arabian tribe in Algeria, known as Ben Urgin.
maritima, growing by the sea.
Drimia, Greek δριμύς, -εῖα, -ύ (adj). = acrid, pungent, referring to the bulbs which can irritate the skin.

And it grows in all sorts of natural areas, but was traditionally planted in Arab graveyards.

The Egyptians call the plant "Ein Sit", the god who resists the sun, since the plant only blooms in autumn.