The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With the Leica CL

Godfrey

I'd been debating whether to buy the Leica APO-Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 ASPH because I like to shoot so much with a fast normal lens, and then I remembered that one of my all time favorite lenses on APS-C was the SMC-Pentax-FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, and that they made this lens in a special LTM mount for a couple of years. I hunted and found one at a reasonable price. It arrived yesterday... I took it on my bicycle ride, fitted to the Leica CL.

It's every bit as lovely a lens on this camera as it was on my APS-C Pentax cameras in the FA series SLR version...

Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm Limited
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/100

(A full rez image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1970/45750566191_b23e802c8c_o.jpg)

This is just a magnificent lens, a perfect long-normal for me on this format. Light, small, fast ... a perfect match to the CL, too. And I can use it on my M-D as well..! :)

I've coded it as a Leica Summicron-M 35mm f/2 for EXIF and lens profile, that seems to work well. Since the RF focusing mount is limited to about .7m minimum focus, I used a step up ring to test it with Leica ELPRO VIIa and VIIb close up lenses. That gives me down to about 10 inches focus distance with superb quality results.

Really happy.

G

Godfrey

On Friday evenings, I sometimes gather with a few friends at the club in San Jose downtown. I've taken to riding the bus there so I can look around and see rather than drive, and occasionally carry my camera with me on the bus to see what it may help me see.

I took the bus this past Friday and carried the camera.

Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Limited
ISO 6400 @ f/1.9 @ 1/60

enjoy,
G

Robert Campbell

Meanwhile, I have the loan of a brash young assistant; she's here while her servant is off on respite for a few days. She does keep a very careful eye on things:

60 mm Macro, f/3.2. 1/160, ISO 5000, uncropped.
Sad to relate, the brash young assistant didn't keep a careful enough eye on the road, and is no more. :(

Godfrey

Two more photos from the bus ride last Friday:

Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Ltd
ISO 6400 @ f/1.9 @ 1/60

Leica CL + Pentax-L 43mm f/1.9 Ltd
ISO 6400 @ f/2.8 @ 1/25

Enjoy!

G

Godfrey

There is something simply delightful about the textural qualities of what this camera records with the WATE:

Leica CL + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/50 @ 16mm

enjoy!
G

PeterA

Working my way through deciding whether to keep the Noctilux or not - so I figure the best way to make my decision is to actually use the thing...and then writing a review using photos...and maybe comparisons...

Godfrey

Another WATE photo...

Leica CL + Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21mm f/4 ASPH
ISO 250 @ f/5.6 @ 1/30

enjoy!
G

PeterA

I am really enjoying the Leica CL - it matches as well with M lenses and SL lenses as the Sl does - and it is light /portable not as 'precious' as my M10...the apc 'boost' factor on my M and SL lenses gives me a 2 for 1 buzz too ! jpeg Straight out of C1 with saturation slider - down a bit.

and below is a 100% crop using teh magnificent 90-280SL zoom - getting me 420 reach now - very pleased with results...

Last edited:

Godfrey

+1

The CL was definitely a good 'replacement' for my SL. It does well with all the things I needed a replacement for and proves such a very capable adjunct to my other cameras that I use it a lot beyond that. It works well with R and M lenses as well, to the point that I haven't seen much need to buy any dedicated, native lenses.

I do miss the 90-280.. I sold it when I sold my SL. I just don't use such a long lens enough to warrant having that expensive a piece of equipment sitting on the shelf. I make do with the R180/4 and a doubler when need be.