The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun With the Leica CL

Godfrey

Lovely Italian restaurant I found while wandering around Los Angeles a couple of weeks ago.

Leica CL + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 (ca 1972)
ISO 800 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60
7 image stitch

(Larger rendering on Flickr if you click through.)

enjoy!
G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hello CL thread!

I got tired of the TL2's weird interface, so picked up a used CL. MUCH better. I don't have the 60/2.8 for portraits, but I DO have some M lenses - the ancient and dreamy 50 Lux v1 (yes, that's version one!), and the 75 APO Cron. Here's a selfie (the old fashioned way, with a mirror!) made with the 75 Cron

And with the 50 Lux. (I moved closer to the mirror)

Slow to focus (for me, anyway), but lovely rendering.

Matt, who promises not to post cat pictures.

Last edited:

D&A

Matt Wrote--->>>"Slow to focus (for me, anyway), but lovely rendering.
Matt, who promises not to post cat pictures."<<<<----

You had me until that last statement about cats. New camera and no cat pictures? Sacrilegious! :bugeyes:

Dave (D&A)

PeterA

Hello CL thread!

I got tired of the TL2's weird interface, so picked up a used CL. MUCH better. I don't have the 60/2.8 for portraits, but I DO have some M lenses - the ancient and dreamy 50 Lux v1 (yes, that's version one!), and the 75 APO Cron. Here's a selfie (the old fashioned way, with a mirror!) made with the 75 Cron

Matt, who promises not to post cat pictures.
You will love it Matt - very under rated camera, my only 'knock' on it is that it isn't full frame ...I bought one to use as a teleconvertor for my 90-280SL and discovered I preferred using it to the M's.

Here is one of my daughter 'foot surfing'...

MGrayson

Ok, Dave and Will, I lied.

Here's Soup giving me his "You woke me up for another stupid camera?" look.

35/1.4, 1/100s ISO 4000

(I'm so ashamed)

Matt

MGrayson

You will love it Matt - very under rated camera, my only 'knock' on it is that it isn't full frame ...I bought one to use as a teleconvertor for my 90-280SL and discovered I preferred using it to the M's.

Here is one of my daughter 'foot surfing'...

Great picture!

I have the 90-280, and it is magnificent. I look forward to the combo. I had trouble focusing the TL2 with it.

MGrayson

I call this "Cliché #4". But what was I supposed to do? There it was:

35/1.4, 2 panel stitch

:facesmack:

Matt

(And yes, the GFX100 would have made more sense, but the CL was the camera within reach, and these scenes disappear quickly, as you all well know. Clearly, I should keep all my equipment in the living room. My wife would understand. :ROTFL:)

Last edited:

Godfrey

Did something I haven't done for a while last evening: Went for a walk in the gathering dusk and carried the Leica CL fitted with my old Summilux 35 (1972 edition), just making photographs. This is one of them...

It was nice to be out shooting with the CL again. I love making photographs; I should do it more often. :)

G

Godfrey

I posted a dozen monochrome photos from the little walk I made a few days back to flickr.com ... That's a bit more than I feel comfortable posting in a single thread post, so here's one and you can get to all the others by clicking it or this link.

On A Walk As Dusk Arrives #6
Leica CL + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 (M-mount, ca 1972)

It's always wonderful when the mojo strikes in its quiet way. :)

enjoy,
G

Godfrey

"It's Okay to Feel Things" - Los Angeles 2019
Leica CL + Summilux 35mm f/1.4 (circa 1972)
ISO 100 @ f/5.6 @ 1/100 sec

Seems an age ago that I walked the streets of Los Angeles on my way to an electronica dance concert. I wonder when that sort of thing will happen again?

Be well, stay sane, keep on going!

G

Robert Campbell

There's a small wildflower area at the front of the house; this being Ireland, the front is at the back. My son dug over this area, and planted out seeds earlier this year. This wasn't included:

CL, 55-135

Robert Campbell

The birdies have an unhappy tendency to fly into the windows here, sometimes with fatal results. We have put some holographic stickers up, and they do seem to be effective. They show some very vivid colours when the sun is shining, and the colour depends on where you stand. It's surprisingly difficult to get them to reproduce well. Here's today's efforts; CL with the 18-56 zoom.

Robert Campbell

Some more amusement yesterday. Two of the kids made this pond recently; it's along the line of an old access road to the next field (extreme right). Rather than remove all the hardcore from this road, the right and left-hand ends have had more clean stone added. There's a small solar-powered circulating pump. CL, 11-23 zoom, pano created in Lightroom from seven images.

Godfrey

It's 7:30am, Monday, August 31, 2020.

The evacuation notices for the wildfire cluster in the Santa Cruz Mountains 20-30 miles away have been lifted, but there are still uncontained burns going on there and in the fires to the Northeast, East, and South. The sun rises, and the baleful red light tinges everything, even the very air itself, as it rises through the trees and reflects the misery of this entire year so far.

Sun Rising in Still Smokey Air - Santa Clara 2020
Leica CL + Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8
ISO 100 @ f/4 @ 1/250

My heart goes out to the hundreds of families who have lost their homes and properties in the middle of this miserable year.

Not the greatest of times. We must hope for better times ahead.

G

“Hope is a slighter, tougher thing even than trust... In a good season one trusts life; in a bad season one only hopes. But they are of the same essence: they are the mind's indispensable relationship with other minds, with the world, and with time. Without trust, a man lives, but not a human life; without hope, he dies. When there is no relationship, where hands do not touch, emotion atrophies in void and intelligence goes sterile and obsessed. Between men the only link left is that of owner to slave, or murderer to victim.”

— City of Illusions, Ursula K. Le Guin

Godfrey

A Post-Apocalyptic Sunset ...

With all the wildfires burning for the past two weeks up and down the state, and new ones springing up over the past four days!, the air quality index has hovered in the 140 "Unhealthy" range for days, and the daytime temperatures has been up in the 100-110 range here in the SF Bay Area. Yesterday I decided to go for a short walk, just to get a little bit of exercise, after staying inside all day with AC filters to keep the air as clean as I could.

Post Apocalyptic Sunset 2020

Crossing El Camino at Pierce - Santa Clara 2020

The Sun Sets Into Dust - Santa Clara 2020

Looking NorthWest on Harrison - Santa Clara 2020

Contrail Across The Remains Of Sky Blue - Santa Clara 2020

All with Leica CL using the Voigtländer HyperWide 10mm f/5.6 Aspheric, @ f/8.

I won't say "enjoy" because there's little enjoyment to be had in such times... :eek:

scho

I also picked up a used CL in trade for some of the Sony gear that I sold recently. Sun finally came out so took the little CL with SIgma 30/1.4 C for walk around the old mill in upper Treman park. Gorge trails we're all closed so just a few snaps around th mill.

The "Old Mill"

Couple of old mill stones out back

Fishkill Creek behind the mill (very harsh lighting)

scho

Trying a Laowa 14/4 on the CL today. I bought the Laowa ultra wide primarily for use on a FF S1r but wanted to see how it performs on APSC, where it is an equivalent 21mm.