The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

CCD Replacement Sensors - do they continue to have corrosion issues?

robdeszan

Hello all,

I've always been tempted by the leica and very much enjoy the CCD rendering. I am looking at getting an M9P, which had a sensor replaced a few months ago, and I am trying to find out whether the replacement sensors continue to have the corrosion issues or whether the newly supplied CCD sensors are free of these issues?

Any experiences or official info?

Many thanks,

Pat

scott kirkpatrick

The official position is that the replacement sensors don't have the corrosion problem. If anyone has a counterexample, I hope they will speak up. I've had my M9 upgraded while it was still "free" (except for expensive shipping).

codocee

I believe it's a CMOS, not CCD. The new sensor design was as close in rendering as possible to the CCD.
No further corrosion anticipated.

Hulyss Bowman

My mother sent her M9P for sensor remplacement 2 years ago and, so far, no problem. Of course it is a CCD. The camera is always with her, hiking all day long in Alps.

algrove

I believe it's a CMOS, not CCD. The new sensor design was as close in rendering as possible to the CCD.
No further corrosion anticipated.
This is absolutely false. CCD M9 and MM1 have CCD sensors put back into them NOT CMOS. M240 and M246 are the first CMOS Leica M's.

DezFoto

From what I was told by the tech that received my camera when they first offered they replacement, the initial replacement sensors were identical to the original sensors and would eventually corrode. It took them a bit to get a new sensor available, but any sensor that was replaced after September 2015 should be free of corrosion.

asiafish

From what I was told by the tech that received my camera when they first offered they replacement, the initial replacement sensors were identical to the original sensors and would eventually corrode. It took them a bit to get a new sensor available, but any sensor that was replaced after September 2015 should be free of corrosion.
There is not and never was a new sensor. What is new is the cover glass for the sensor, and as it it is the cover glass that corrodes, the upgraded cover glass should solve the problem.